• Abstaining - It's not for ME to say

Votes: 23 25.0%

• Total voters

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
ages ago someone said:
What do YOU think is the best religion?
Personally I'm quite impressed with Quakers, and other peaceful Protestants. I think they get the best that can be got out of the Bible. I have read (and like) C.S. Lewis' Christian books, and I'm impressed with the religion he projects. I just don't believe.

After all there are millions of Muslims who think that Christianity is wrong - that Jesus is just a prophet, not the son of god. And there are millions of Christians who think Islam is a lie. I can't understand how people can be so sure that their side is right, and that the others are wrong.

And without proof either way (and there is NO proof, either way) why should any I believe that any one of the thousands of religions that have existed throughout history is the right one? Every one of them claims to be right, and if you believe in one, then you think that all the others are lies.

Therefore I agree with the Christians that all the other religions on the planet are wrong. And then I agree with all the other religions that Christianity is wrong too.

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
Perhaps all religions echo the reality of God.

I believe what I believe 100%, but at the same time I acknowledge that I do not have a monopoly on understanding something big enough to be called God, so I would never condemn anyone who believes something different to me (although I might be up for a jolly good discussion). What I believe is what I have seen of God. I doubt if my brain is big enough to contemplate the wholeness of God, which is where faith, tolerance and respect come in. :angel:

BTW, Jews, Christians and Moslems do at least all believe in the same God - 'he' must be doing something right! :clap:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Duncan H said:
And without proof either way (and there is NO proof, either way) why should any I believe that any one of the thousands of religions that have existed throughout history is the right one? Every one of them claims to be right, and if you believe in one, then you think that all the others are lies.

Jesus is the only one who said, 'I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No-one come to the Father except through me.'
John 14:6

No other religious leader eg Moses or Mohammed has made that claim.

marvin

Jul 5, 2003
The corner quietly rusting
All I can say is that if god exists and he predetermines what life will be (god willing, God bless you etc) I am looking forward to good word with that f***ing bastard.

Religion is bad, very bad it is what causes the wars.

Faith, belief, call it what you like, is personal and up to the individual. Just don't expect me to believe the same thing.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I can see these scenarios.

A christian arrives at the Purly Gates but the bloke that opens them is wearing a turban ......

A moslem goes to Allah only to find that she's eating a ham sandwich.

A hundu enters the afterlife to be greeted by a man wearing a leather coat.

Who's right ? No, it's all bollox isn't it ?

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
Jesus is the only one who said, 'I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No-one come to the Father except through me.'
I was interested in these things, so I read about the origins of the Christian religion through a variety of books (Mark Tully's BBC TV Series "Lives of Jesus" is very good if anyone likes these things), and I am not convinced that Jesus actually said these things.

From reading the history of the early church, and of those times, I don't accept the Bible as truth in any certain way. I am not convinced that Jesus even said those things; and even if he did, I'm not convinced they're true. I need more proof than the Bible.

BTW, Jews, Christians and Moslems do at least all believe in the same God - 'he' must be doing something right!
I don't agree with that. All three disagree about the status of Jesus, which is something pretty fundamental. In the end, you either have accepted Jesus as your saviour, or you haven't. And even if you're praying to the same God, the way looks fairly shut to me if you've not.

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
Juan Albion said:
Perhaps all religions echo the reality of God.

Or perhaps they are all viral memes that pollute peoples minds. We shouldn't be suprised that most major religions agree on some of the broadest possible levels. Most religions say "be nice to each other" since those that say "be a total bastard to everybody" tend not to last very long.

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
Duncan H said:

I don't agree with that. All three disagree about the status of Jesus, which is something pretty fundamental. In the end, you either have accepted Jesus as your saviour, or you haven't. And even if you're praying to the same God, the way looks fairly shut to me if you've not.

Of course there are major differences otherwise they would be more like different denominations.

And things wouldn't look so shut to you if you were a Moslem...

BenElton'sBrother

Nov 30, 2003
Hove
It's good to have faith, I have faith that there is no god.

Me and religion dont get along....

marvin

Jul 5, 2003
The corner quietly rusting
BenElton'sBrother said:
It's good to have faith, I have faith that there is no god.

Me and religion dont get along....

No that would be a belief, wouldn't it?

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
Too many wars have been caused by religion. The only true faith is mine to the Albion.

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
Are you a believer but not quite sure if you have the right god?
Then join the God of the Month Club. For mere pennies a day you can make sure you've covered all the bases and are in good with every god.

This month's god is:

Oshun

importD2.jpg

DETAILS: Oshun is a Goddess who is both loved and feared. Possessed of a terrible temper her moods can changes at a moments nothings changing things from sunny skies to frightful storm. Though it is though storm that she also brings about her rainbows.
Originality a river goddess in Africa was like the other Orisha were taken to the Caribbean, and North & South American like the other God and Goddess of the Yoruba and West Africa.
The youngest of those gods she is the goddess to ask for money as well as the goddess who brings children to barren women, and the holder of all secrets and witchcraft.
Mainly she is the goddess of love, pleasure, beauty, and sensuality.

Locky

Oct 2, 2003
Brighton
bhaexpress said:
Many's the time I've called on the almighty in times of crisis. Typically something like October '02 against Palarse when we went 2-0 down.

'Oh God no !' I said but did he hear ? Clearly he was watching a premier game.

Now that is patronising and arrogant......................at least respect other peoples views :angry:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here