Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Reintroducing the death penalty

Would you be in favour of reintroducing the death penalty in the UK?

• Total voters

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
My cousin's fifteen year old son was stabbed to death walking home from getting McDonalds with friends.

The little ***** who murdered him will most likely serve no real time and be walking the streets free from any punishment.

Would gladly pull the trigger, flip the switch or pull the lever to see the filthy dogs removed from the planet so that they never harmed another person again.
This is the thing, it's very easy to say it's a disgusting thing to do until something happens to someone you love and then we're the ones ready to flick the switch.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Difficult one, part of me thinks there is a case for it, the likes of Brady, Suttcliffe, Hindley, Huntley, Bishop, Whiting and the murderers of Lee Rigby could and should have been executed and wouldn’t have attracted any real negative public reaction.

But what happens when a mistake is made, and by that I mean dishonest coppers?

Just off the top of my head I can think of the Guildford 4, Birmingham 6 and the Carl Bridgewater gang who were all convicted of murder but later released on appeal ,after years of campaigning.

Two of these were terrorist offences the other a child murder, yet everyone convicted was innocent, but we’d have potentially hung 13 people then later admitted the mistake.

The government can’t put it to the vote, because it would be returned with a large majority and then we would be perceived as barbaric in the wider modern world.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Well that is a different question. Discussed in this thread and not particular to my post.

No need to ask about what doesn't comply with the european convention on human rights.

Schooolboy error. You have attempted to engage in pursuit of reason, using logic, with a poster with an agenda that overrides adherence to reason or the need for logic :shrug:

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Schooolboy error. You have attempted to engage in pursuit of reason, using logic, with a poster with an agenda that overrides adherence to reason or the need for logic :shrug:

I’m only asking if the thread title is a genuine government lead initiative or some no mark on a Twitter account bull shitting, if it’s the latter which would seem logical Mr Spock then I think it’s fair to say it’s the OP who has an agenda wouldn’t you say?

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
It's always struck me as one of those issues where the majority of the public is probably in favour, but in our representative democracy those with the experience of lawmaking, human rights etc realise the difficulties of it. And the public generally accepts it and just quietly grumbles with "bring back hanging" when there is a horror story in the news, but doesn't really expectt anything to change.

Totally agree, it's why our representative democracy works reasonably well. It's also why referendums are generally a bad idea - One likes to think that our politicians make decisions on better researched information that the public. Sometimes.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
If anyone harmed one of my loved ones, plod better get to me first.

This is not a matter for judges, but the victims or their relatives. That way, if anyone harmed one of my loved ones I could say 'woodchipper please' without running the risk of being pinched for bringing about the same outcome.

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
Perhaps Patel sees herself as the new Albert Pierrepoint.

What next on the Tory wish list, legalised torture for those that say 'no comment' when questioned by the Police, 50 lashes for protesting against the Government, Concentration Camps for immigrants and other undesirables.......

Terrible that the return of the death penalty is even being considered

oh what good ideas.

maybe though you’re missing something, there’s an angle here.

let them sell tickets and make it a spectator sport. must be able to rake in a few grand to plug some financial holes

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Reintroducing the death penalty

Blimey, a bit over the top Maupay wasn't that bad..

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Totally agree, it's why our representative democracy works reasonably well. It's also why referendums are generally a bad idea - One likes to think that our politicians make decisions on better researched information that the public. Sometimes.

Isn’t that precisely the idea of a parliamentary democracy.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Try for facts rather than propaganda..Many people aren't in favour of a return to capital punishment, but don't need this chronic example of fake news to help them make up their minds.

It's not fake news. Just calling everything you don't agree with fake news is a bit silly. It's The Clamp here my friend, bring your A game or don't bother.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
So some **** on Twitter posts that a little birdy told him that the Home Office have been asked by Patel to scope for the re introduction of capital punishment and you think the Whole of the UK are talking and backing it, that just defies logic!
:shrug:

Not sure why you want to bicker so much about my point which is simply :

If we reintroduce the death penalty then we fail to comply with the ECHR which means that we have to ditch the cross border crime cooperation part of the new EU deal.

That would be a real :facepalm: as the deal is only 3 days old.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
It may just be tweetle tattle at present, however few things happen by accident in politics. It wouldn't surprise me at all if this government leaked to see what the general mood on it is.
With leave voters on the brink of realising they have been conned over Brexit, Johnson is going to need another rabbit to pull out of his lopsided hat. I guarantee there is a large overlap with Brexit voters and those who would like to bring back the death penalty. He knows his audience. If they could get a few immigrants lined up on Death Row, I would be fairly confident he'd win back the pro-Brexit mob who will realise at some point next year that they have been lied to.

If we start striking deals with the US and continue to follow their example of the industrial prison complex do not rule out prison contractors pushing for the death penalty in the UK.

I predict in our children's lifetime their will be a serious attempt at bringing back the death penalty. And once a government has a system for legally killing people they find undesirable, well, we have all know how that can turn out.

People dismissing this kind of rhetoric as "bluster" have not learned the lessons of the past. How quickly the ridiculous can become tolerated, how the tolerated can become the normal, how the normal can become the demanded.

Observe events over the next five years with a questioning eye. We could so easily sleep walk into a dictatorship. And I believe that is exactly what we are doing. Now.

Last edited:

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
It may just be tweetle tattle at present, however few things happen by accident in politics. It wouldn't surprise me at all if this government leaked to see what the general mood on it is.
With leave voters on the brink of realising they have been conned over Brexit, Johnson is going to need another rabbit to pull out of his lopsided hat. I guarantee there is a large overlap with Brexit voters and those who would like to bring back the death penalty. He knows his audience. If they could get a few immigrants lined up on Death Row, I would be fairly confident he'd win back the pro-Brexit mob who will realise at some point next year that they have been lied to.
When Johnson realises that introducing the death penalty voids a whole section of his flagship EU deal he'd look and feel a bit silly wouldn't he ?

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
No thanks. Two wrongs don’t make a right.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
When Johnson realises that introducing the death penalty voids a whole section of his flagship EU deal he'd look and feel a bit silly wouldn't he ?

Looking silly is not something Johnson is overly concerned about.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here