Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Reintroducing the death penalty

Would you be in favour of reintroducing the death penalty in the UK?

• Total voters

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I simply cannot see this ever happening.

There simply aren’t enough nutty right wingers in the Tory Party to get it through as everyone else would vote against in a three line whip. Even though there has been a fairly unpleasant shift to the right under Boris, public opinion just wouldn’t except this.

It would also be a bigger vote loser than just about anything else I could think of.

Except if it was Dominic Cummings or Rees-Mogg obviously...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Accept, accept, FFS, how many times?

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Seeing as this thread is still spinning, I have two questions,

1: Is bringing back the death penalty seriously being discussed at cabinet level or has the OP just put up a bull shit tweet?

2: Is this just another thread discussing the archaic act of capital punishment which we all know ( If we are being really honest with ourselves) won’t ever see the light of day again in England?

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
A proper one? Or just an advisory snazzed up opinion poll?

If Pratti Pusstel had her way there would be one, and the same prehistoric xenophpice rascist little englanders that caused brexit would likely as not get it through.

You do let yourself down at times Zef mate, I’m going to assume that you were under the influence of alcohol last night but if you weren’t you seem to have a lot of hate building up inside you fella, maybe you should at least look a relocation to another country within in the EU?

I know you shouldn’t have too but staying here amongst those “Little Englanders” can’t be good for your mental well-being?

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
So, not advocating a return to hanging, but just for balance, please give a list (just in the final 50 years of the death penalty - 1914 to 1964) of people who were wrongly hanged despite being innocent. I'll give you Timothy Evans for a start - that was a disgrace. Maybe your bloke as well. Now ..... the rest?
Agree with all this. I’d certainly be against the death penalty being reintroduced. However, threads like these make me chuckle as it’d be interesting to see comments on the next thread about a serial child rapist/killer. I’m sure there’d be plenty of instinctive “hang him” comments, even from those who in principle are vehemently against the death penalty. It’s a bit like in discussions about faith where people argue “how could a loving God send people to hell?” You then mention Hitler and people then acknowledge that if there’s a God there would have to be a hell for people like him. If we don’t make the exception the rule, I think we could all find people in history who are very much deserving of dying for their crimes.

HOWEVER, like others have said, it’s a pretty pointless thread. Whilst it could be true, the source the OP quoted is hardly gospel and if events this past summer are anything to go by, I doubt that group are part of the Priti Patel fan club either. Plus, as stated elsewhere, politically it’d be absurd for the government to stake their reputation on this, plus I don’t think they’d have a hope in remotely getting enough votes from their own MPs to pass it.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
I agree with a lot of the above post.. This is a pointless discussion because it is not going to happen. Although I am one of the minority in favour of a limited use of the death penalty, I recognise the view of the majority against it.
Personally I would support it , only for the most serious premeditated and multiple killers and with a much higher standard of evidence of guilt being required.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
It is repulsive and degrades the whole justice system. Data from different states in the US provide no evidence that it works as a deterrent, actually the reverse. Do we actually trust the authorities to get every verdict 100% right particularly with the likely politicisation of cases that will accompany it?

You can see why it would be attractive to the Tories. A new culture war could be an attractive distraction and they have cultivated a specific demographic over the last 5 years which would line up behind it.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
We have only just got an EU deal in which the security agreement section depends on us complying with the ECHR. And yet immediately we are talking about not complying.

A massive :facepalm:

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
My cousin's fifteen year old son was stabbed to death walking home from getting McDonalds with friends.

The little ***** who murdered him will most likely serve no real time and be walking the streets free from any punishment.

Would gladly pull the trigger, flip the switch or pull the lever to see the filthy dogs removed from the planet so that they never harmed another person again.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
So, not advocating a return to hanging, but just for balance, please give a list (just in the final 50 years of the death penalty - 1914 to 1964) of people who were wrongly hanged despite being innocent. I'll give you Timothy Evans for a start - that was a disgrace. Maybe your bloke as well. Now ..... the rest?

306 First World War soldiers, the first being Thomas James Highgate. They have not been pardoned to this day, despite the majority likely to have been suffering shell shock.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I’m not making myself clear, is the UK Government talking about re introducing the death penalty?
Well that is a different question. Discussed in this thread and not particular to my post.

No need to ask about what doesn't comply with the european convention on human rights.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I’m not making myself clear, is the UK Government talking about re introducing the death penalty?

We have only just got an EU deal in which the security agreement section depends on us complying with the ECHR. And yet immediately we are talking about not complying.

A massive :facepalm:

I’ll make this easy for you, in relation to the above mentioned post, who do you mean by “ We” ????

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
It's always struck me as one of those issues where the majority of the public is probably in favour, but in our representative democracy those with the experience of lawmaking, human rights etc realise the difficulties of it. And the public generally accepts it and just quietly grumbles with "bring back hanging" when there is a horror story in the news, but doesn't really expectt anything to change.

A bit like EU membership was for many people. And immigration to some extent.

Worryingly (in my mind, some will see it as democratic), we're in a era of populism where there are enough politicians willing to stand on making these sorts of things happen. Globally, not just in the UK.

I wouldn't be surprised if this government floated it, and I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the public backed them.

It does to against BJ's more liberal social outlook, but we all know this plays second fiddle to his narcicissm.

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
I have absolutely no problem reintroducing the death penalty.
With DNA you are sure to get the right person.
The electric chair would be my preference.
But as she is such a fan, I would insist that Priti Patel went first to check its all OK.
Forget to wet the sponge and watch her fry, live on TV.
After it has gone so wrong the decision is made that this barbaric punishment is after all no longer goung to go ahead.
Meanwhile Patels charcoaled body is wheeled out and she is thrown into the sewers with all the other stinking turds.

Even if you take out the potential for fraud, DNA testing isn't 100% accurate all the time is it?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Seeing as this thread is still spinning, I have two questions,

1: Is bringing back the death penalty seriously being discussed at cabinet level or has the OP just put up a bull shit tweet?

2: Is this just another thread discussing the archaic act of capital punishment which we all know ( If we are being really honest with ourselves) won’t ever see the light of day again in England?

It’s 1. BS tweet used as just a crass opportunity taken for a political rant.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here