Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Reclining your seat on a plane

Do you recline your seat when on a plane?

• Yes, recline away

Votes: 27 27.3%
  • No, disrespectful and rude

Votes: 54 54.5%
  • Yes, but I always ask the person behind me first

Votes: 18 18.2%

• Total voters

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Only recline if forced to by the person in front doing so.

On the topic of fat travellers, I am usually a tolerant sort but a gargantuan Nigerian lady next to me on a flight to New York pushed me to the limit. Huge overspill of arm into my space; major ill-tempered haulage exercise to get her out of her seat so that I could go to the lav; wolfed down her lunch and demanded my bread roll; great flabby hand poked me and woke me demanding assistance with her in-flight entertainment handset...nightmare

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Added to the fact that the same impatient twats that have to turn on there mobile phones, send text message and make calls the moment the wheels touch the ground. And it annoys me even more that I have never seem a steward/dess tell them off.

Probably busy updating their FB status.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Re seat recline, its only acceptable if its a long haul through the night flight, and even them it is very rude just to do it without a polite request.

Can't believe people think like that. I consider myself an extremely courteous person but I see absolutely no need to ask the person behind me if I can recline my seat on a plane. When taking their seat in the cinema do the same people ask those already seated in the row behind if it's okay to sit in front of them in case they might block the view?

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I think a total weight (body and luggage) policy could work. Anything above your limit and you're taxed.

This is what I have always thought, airlines have their strict 20Kg policy for baggage yet I get the same allowance as someone who is 50Kg heavier than me. Your weight should also be taken into account when calculating the price of your ticket, a lardarse is going to require my fuel to get them off the ground than I am.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
I only put my seat back if it's a long flight and the person behind me has theirs back.
I can sleep sitting up anyway.

What I do hate is when the meals come round and the person in front has to be TOLD to put their seat back up, even if they're not eating.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
This is what I have always thought, airlines have their strict 20Kg policy for baggage yet I get the same allowance as someone who is 50Kg heavier than me. Your weight should also be taken into account when calculating the price of your ticket, a lardarse is going to require my fuel to get them off the ground than I am.

So if Posh Spice is on the same flight as you would you write out a personal cheque or just pay by cash?

Fatboy Quim

Jan 27, 2005
I am someone that always reads this site without logging in. Yet this issue has compelled me to both login and post...

It is absolutely your right to recline your seat on a flight - a right that every other passenger also has. It doesn't infringe on leg room and you most definitely should not have to ask the person behind.

In saying that, I do make sure my seat goes back slowly and in a controlled manner and I always put my seat up before meals are served and once the person behind's meal has been taken away.

Phew... i feel a lot better now

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
I find flights fall into one of two categories - superb or sh*t. The latter is normally associated with noisy selfish bastards in front - characterised by fidgetting, endless faffing around and reclining their seats at will.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Its bad enough anyway without having someone crush your legs by reclining - NO, seats should be fixed to not recline!

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
I am someone that always reads this site without logging in. Yet this issue has compelled me to both login and post...

It is absolutely your right to recline your seat on a flight - a right that every other passenger also has. It doesn't infringe on leg room and you most definitely should not have to ask the person behind.

In saying that, I do make sure my seat goes back slowly and in a controlled manner and I always put my seat up before meals are served and once the person behind's meal has been taken away.

Phew... i feel a lot better now

As someone who has long legs I can safely say it does infringe on leg room (on crap airlines anyways) and then you have the people moaning that my knees are in the back of their seat. Not a problem so much on long haul decent airlines

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
I hate it when people recline their seats in front of me. I have long legs and so space is already tight and then to lose a little bit more makes it so much more uncomfortable. I would never recline my seat unless there is no one sitting in the seat behind.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
As someone who has long legs I can safely say it does infringe on leg room (on crap airlines anyways) and then you have the people moaning that my knees are in the back of their seat. Not a problem so much on long haul decent airlines

Agree. As someone with long legs too, I don't enjoy eating my meal with my knees under my chin. On long haul flights, I normally try to bag the emergency exit seats. I can then turn recline without fear about reclined on. Beautiful.

On the subject of other annoyances, children kicking the back of my seat is without doubt the most annoying thing possible. Parents always seem utterly flabbergasted if you raise the issue with them. As if their darling child would be so annoying. I feel like telling them that if their child doesn't stop immediately, I will have to drop-kick them down the plane.

The last time I flew long haul, the mother behind me responded to my request that her child stop kicking my seat by saying: "They're children, what do you expect them to do?" I was half tempted to say that they shouldn't behave like badly-raised monkeys but I managed to restrain myself.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Also, why can you always be able to purchase salmon and caviar no matter which airport you are at? Arun jumpers seemingly cross all boarders as well.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I find flights fall into one of two categories - superb or sh*t. The latter is normally associated with noisy selfish bastards in front - characterised by fidgetting, endless faffing around and reclining their seats at will.

I'm always puzzled by people who fidget and faf. What is so difficult about relaxing? And given people need to go on holiday to relax it's no wonder flights are so stressful. And why the need to travel to relax? If I want to chill I just sit in my arm chair at home, job done. I'm in my armchair now. Simples. What's so f***ing difficult about this?

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Before my next long-haul I'm gonna get some of these bad boys and then it's my choice.

On a flight back from Singapose a few years ago the bloke in front reclined fully; I asked him if he would mind going up a bit so I could see the screen but he ignored me, so for the next 12 hours while he was reclined I made his flight an absolute misery, kicking the seat, jiggling it, blowing the cold air onto his head, calling him names etc.

ryeseagull

Feb 26, 2009
United States
Just to be clear, I am not one of these people who gets on an Easyjet flight to Spain, and the second the seatbelt sign goes off I smash my seat backwards into the face of the person behind me. I am talking about a longish flight, say at least 5 hours. The people I am arguing claim they wouldn't recline at all on a flight to Australia, which I think is utter nonsense.

You can't argue with stupid people.

Jonno

Enthusiasm curbed
Oct 17, 2010
Cape Town
To be fair, it is sometimes hard to relax on a flight. I'm a very bad sleeper for example, find it almost impossible to sleep on a plane, or in fact anywhere else other than a bed in a dark room. When you are tired on a flight and cannot sleep combined with the inevitable boredom that comes with flying and other possible factors like the cabin being too hot or cold can make it a quite unpleasant experience. Still no reason to be a twat and irritate other people though I suppose.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
People sitting in front of me generally can't recline their seat as my knees are jammed into the back of it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here