Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Reclining your seat on a plane

Do you recline your seat when on a plane?

• Yes, recline away

Votes: 27 27.3%
  • No, disrespectful and rude

Votes: 54 54.5%
  • Yes, but I always ask the person behind me first

Votes: 18 18.2%

• Total voters

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
my daughter was almost knocked unconscious once , on a plane , by some oaffish, overweight woman who slammed her seat back rather hard and fast with absolutely no warning ........i could not contain myself unfortunately and her, her stupid f***ing husband and their repulsive offspring were moved to another part of the plane..........*****.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
And whilst we're on the subject of fat twats on the plane, I do agree with fatties that this idea of being expected to pay for TWO seats is absolutely absurd. Are they supposed to sit with their arse crack straddling the two purchased seats? Clearly not.

They should pay for THREE seats (to avoid SQUASHAGE of the normal sized passenger "next door").

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
To be fair, all of the following annoy me on a flight:

Fat people's overspill.
Really tall people who's long LEGS invade MY leg-space.
People trying to read a broadsheet paper
Crying children
People with body odour issues
People who eat loudly
People coughing / clearing their throat / sniffing.
Especially sniffing.
People who continually need to get up to go to the toilet / get to their bags, etc
People who LEAP UP from their seat the SECOND the plane lands, then stood leaning over you for 15 minutes waiting for the doors to open.

I'm quite INTOLERANT, as it goes. I think I'll need to win the Euromillions, and buy myself a lear jet.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
It'll be interesting to see how the etiquette plays out amongst the 1901-ers and their reclining seats at the Amex.
I can see the fold-out footrests being a problem as well when people arrive late or want to go to the toilet.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Bushy/HT....the new era. :)

Fat people on planes also ALWAYS seem to fidget and be preoccupied. They never just sit and relax.

Sorry :(

I do try though. Sit RECLINE relax.

Only on long flights though - as others point out there is absolutely no need on a short hop and there is also rarely any room either as they cram you in. Better than trains though. At least when you pay for a seat on a plane you actually get one guaranteed!

The very very worst thing is screaming kids. Anything so small that it can't control its squawking should either be tranquilised or be put in cargo (said in memory of a 20 hour flight to Sydney with 2 babies immediately behind us that never stopped crying from the minute we boarded until we cleared immigration}

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
When on a plane, do you recline your seat, or do you stay upright out of respect for the person behind you?

I am currently arguing with people who say it is disrespectful to put your seat back as it limits the person behind you's space.

Nonsense I say, the seats are made to recline and only the back part moves anyway, which can be easliy solved by reclining your own seat.

I'm going to sit in front of you on the flight to Dortmund, kick back and relax...

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield

Fat people's overspill.
Crying children
People who eat loudly
Especially sniffing.
People who continually need to get up to go to the toilet / get to their bags, etc
People who LEAP UP from their seat the SECOND the plane lands, then stood leaning over you for 15 minutes waiting for the doors to open.

I'm quite INTOLERANT, as it goes. I think I'll need to win the Euromillions, and buy myself a lear jet.

It's got to be the clearing throat and sniffing for the whole bloody flight - that really gets my goat. Just blow your fecking nose twats.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Not confined to air travel, but i find the tinny sound from people sat near me with an ipod on too loud intensely annoying, even more annoying is the reply " oh, can you hear it ? " when you politely ask them to turn it down, of course i can f***ing hear it you educationally subnormal idiot or i wouldn't be asking would i ?

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Always seems pointless to me on the short-haul flights, as they only go back a fraction anyway. Whenever I've done it I'm always thinking "eurgh, is that IT?" rather than "oooohhhh, that's better." So, I don't see the point, as it achieves nothing for me, but could well pish off the person behind me.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
And whilst we're on the subject of fat twats on the plane, I do agree with fatties that this idea of being expected to pay for TWO seats is absolutely absurd. Are they supposed to sit with their arse crack straddling the two purchased seats? Clearly not.

They should pay for THREE seats (to avoid SQUASHAGE of the normal sized passenger "next door").

I think a total weight (body and luggage) policy could work. Anything above your limit and you're taxed.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I'm going to sit in front of you on the flight to Dortmund, kick back and relax...

You'll be unconcious and covered in your own vomit by then, so I'll just roll you into the isle and un-recline your seat.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I do but only if the plane is dark so it's likely the person behind is trying to sleep. I remember one very annoying trans atlantic flight where some little bastard reclined his seat and refused to bright it upright when the plane was due to land. What ensued was a heated discussion between the cabin staff and the little bastard's parent who couldn't believe that his offspring would case any problems.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Not a problem in Premium Economy or Business on longhaul thankfully :lol:

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
I don't think its inconsiderate to recline. As soon as the seatbelt sign goes off my seat goes gently back to the max, whether it's a five minute flight to Sainsburys on Lewes Road or an eight hour flight to New Jack City, and it stays reclined until we're descending to land. I've paid for the ticket, everyone else can do the same, the room you get in cattle class is bad enough as it is without sitting bolt upright the whole time. As far as I'm aware, the seats are designed so that the person behind you can still use their food tray while the seat is reclined, and if anything the 'wouldn't feed a domestic rat' sized meal is closer to their fizzog and so they don't have to lean as far foward to spoon it down - it's a win-win NSC!

Last edited:

Jonno

Enthusiasm curbed
Oct 17, 2010
Cape Town

Fat people's overspill.
Crying children
People who eat loudly
Especially sniffing.

Yeah, the compulsive toilet goers are a nightmare. On a flight back from Chile last year, about 13 hours, the woman next to me went to the toilet 11 times! I was nearly gonna offer her an immodium but thought better of it.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea

Added to the fact that the same impatient twats that have to turn on there mobile phones, send text message and make calls the moment the wheels touch the ground. And it annoys me even more that I have never seem a steward/dess tell them off.

Re seat recline, its only acceptable if its a long haul through the night flight, and even them it is very rude just to do it without a polite request.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here