Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Reclining your seat on a plane

Do you recline your seat when on a plane?

• Yes, recline away

Votes: 27 27.3%
  • No, disrespectful and rude

Votes: 54 54.5%
  • Yes, but I always ask the person behind me first

Votes: 18 18.2%

• Total voters

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I'm with you, whether I'm travelling back of the bus or in business, makes no difference. It's made to recline and that's that. If you start to ask permission then the person behind you asks the person behind them and.................where does it stop? (yeah ok, the back of the plane obviously but it was a rhetorical question). The one golden rule as far as I'm concerned is ALWAYS but always sit it back up when food and drinks are being served even if you're not having anything yourself.

This

Cappers

Deano's right one
Jun 3, 2010
Hove
Can't believe people think like that. I consider myself an extremely courteous person but I see absolutely no need to ask the person behind me if I can recline my seat on a plane. When taking their seat in the cinema do the same people ask those already seated in the row behind if it's okay to sit in front of them in case they might block the view?

Totally agree with the above logic. I once reclined my seat, very purposefully and not jerkily in between food breakes, only to have some tw@t behind me in a West Ham Shirt and tatts and a couple of Sovs (sorry to those of you with tatts and Sovs), hurl a load of abuuse at me. Now I found that rude. He was also disrespectful by wearing a West Ham shirt, so one good turn desrves another.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
if its daylight you are an arsehole simple as that.

the people who do it doing meal services should be killed.

even in C it can still be an issue did an EK 777 in business the other day that they do not have flat beds on yet and people just fire the seats back at a 70 odd degree pitch without a by your leave. far worse than a couple of tiddly inches for a short haul flight.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I try and recline the seat if possible due to my height (I'm 6' 4") but I always ask the person behind first. Good manners isn't it.

logan89

Jan 4, 2007
Brington
Having flown Club class on a recent trip to Florida, i know someone who works at BA otherwise it's World Traveller for me, it does seem stupid that you can recline the seats at the back of the plane 2cm. I mean does this really make a difference. Added to the fact that i can't sleep in any upright position i just leave it fully up.

The thing that does annoy me however is that weighing just 9stone i have the same baggage allowance as someone who weighs double that. And if i should happen to go 1 or 2 kg over my allowance i would be charged an extortionate fee for the privilege. This needs to change.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
I understand the people that are saying "if the seat reclines, then that's what it's meant to do so I'm going to do it regardless", but I'm know what it's like to be uncomfortable on a plane and know that moving the seat back makes this worse. Therefore I don't like the idea of making the journey even worse for someone than it already is, just so I can benefit a little.

Grapes of Wrath

Nov 1, 2009
Worthing
I don't think its inconsiderate to recline. As soon as the seatbelt sign goes off my seat goes gently back to the max, whether it's a five minute flight to Sainsburys on Lewes Road or an eight hour flight to New Jack City, and it stays reclined until we're descending to land. I've paid for the ticket, everyone else can do the same, the room you get in cattle class is bad enough as it is without sitting bolt upright the whole time. As far as I'm aware, the seats are designed so that the person behind you can still use their food tray while the seat is reclined, and if anything the 'wouldn't feed a domestic rat' sized meal is closer to their fizzog and so they don't have to lean as far foward to spoon it down - it's a win-win NSC!

You wouldn't do it if you were in front of me fella. This is the one thing thing that really pisses me off about flying, I'm 6.2, so not the tallest in the world but I have long legs, and if someone reclines in front of me then I have to sit there with my legs wide apart, and my knees crushed against the seat in front. My answer is to simply keep my knees together and the person in front can't recline.
Over the years this has caused a few problems usually with some vertically challenged individual who despite being considerably shorter than me believes that they have a divine right to recline, and then get the arse because they can't as my knees are in the way.

Now you may think that I am being awkward? Too bloody right I am! I only ever recline at night if the lights are out and people are generally asleep. The small amount of additional comfort obtained from reclining is nothing like the discomfort a tall person has to endure when some short arse crushes your legs.

A couple of years ago a woman in front of me on a flight to Tenerife got very upset when she could not recline due to my knees stopping her and called the cabin crew over demanding her right to recline. I asked if she wanted me to chop my legs off to accomodate her, and felt sorry for the cabin crew who tried to placate her. There was no way I was going to concede for that witch, so in the end they moved me to one of the seats with extra leg room which you normally have to pay for, so I got a result on that one.

I respect others and don't recline even if it is a kid, so why should be expected to have a very uncomfortable flight just because someone insists on reclining? After all unless you are sleeping reclining does not make a lot of difference IMO

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
There isn't the space to recline a seat, especially in cattle class which most people have to use. Therefore don't do it. The seat may be designed to recline but the plane and the space isn't.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
You wouldn't do it if you were in front of me fella. This is the one thing thing that really pisses me off about flying, I'm 6.2, so not the tallest in the world but I have long legs, and if someone reclines in front of me then I have to sit there with my legs wide apart, and my knees crushed against the seat in front. My answer is to simply keep my knees together and the person in front can't recline.
Over the years this has caused a few problems usually with some vertically challenged individual who despite being considerably shorter than me believes that they have a divine right to recline, and then get the arse because they can't as my knees are in the way.

Now you may think that I am being awkward? Too bloody right I am! I only ever recline at night if the lights are out and people are generally asleep. The small amount of additional comfort obtained from reclining is nothing like the discomfort a tall person has to endure when some short arse crushes your legs.

A couple of years ago a woman in front of me on a flight to Tenerife got very upset when she could not recline due to my knees stopping her and called the cabin crew over demanding her right to recline. I asked if she wanted me to chop my legs off to accomodate her, and felt sorry for the cabin crew who tried to placate her. There was no way I was going to concede for that witch, so in the end they moved me to one of the seats with extra leg room which you normally have to pay for, so I got a result on that one.

I respect others and don't recline even if it is a kid, so why should be expected to have a very uncomfortable flight just because someone insists on reclining? After all unless you are sleeping reclining does not make a lot of difference IMO

You spend a whole flight stopping someone from reclining? Wow. Think I'd just distract you, or wait 'til you went for the loo.

BTW, if why don't you go in the front row?

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
If you've paid for a reclining seat it is your right to use it. The guy above with the long legs - you need to pay for the seat in front as well as your own, if you want to lay down the law about what other passengers can and cant do, or pay for business class, or check in early enough to get the front row or the exit seats. Being tall has certain advantages and certain disadvantages. Live with it. I'm 6' 5 by the way.

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Cobbydale
Despite being 6'2" I don't really have an issue with people reclining, it usually tilts above my knees so doesn't really affect me. I will make sure that the Flight Assitant asks them to put it up when I'm eating though. I did find it a bit irritating when people put them back as soon as the seatbelt light goes out. The only time its really f*cked me off though is when the seat in front was reclined and my seat back screen didn't tilt out enough to compensate.

I travel a lot, and usually get an aisle seat, as it allows a bit of stretching out (or will upgrade to a seat with room using my airmiles), but I find its the "once a year" holiday flight lot that are the most irritating: fannying around throughout, seat, tv, up and down to their baggage (if its not spread out all over the shop already), up and down to the bog, doing excercises in the aisle next to you etc, f*cking mongs!

Codner pharmaceuticals

Jun 17, 2009
Border Country
A great thread as my blood is boiling.

It is impossible to work (verb. Physical or mental effort or activity directed toward the production or accomplishment of something)on short haul economy or business even with a small laptop when someone reclines whether it is in a genteel manner or fast.

Just because the seats recline doesn't mean you have to do it. There are doors over the wing that open. Do you use these too?

Peever

Sep 5, 2010
Canada
I am 6 foot 4 and the mannor in which I sit in a seat prevents people from reclining as well. I am not intentionally trying to stop them but if I want to be even *semi* comfy on any flight I need to put my legs how I do against the back of a seat. I will stick the outside one down the walkway but that only last so long before that stupid cart is back. I have never had a problem from people trying to put them back and my legs preventing it. Though us Canucks are generally pretty humble and nice so that might be why. If I could afford to upgrade for the extra space I totally would. Here in Canada though when the price of that ticket is generally double what the cattle class is, its just not in the budget. So because of all this I wont recline mine and I expect others not to as well. I wish airlines would do anyway with reclining!

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
So if Posh Spice is on the same flight as you would you write out a personal cheque or just pay by cash?

you could just fold her up and stick(no pun intended) her in the luggage compartment

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here