Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Recession CONTINUES

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
No. I was stating the people who have suffered most through this recession that is all.

Point is it isn't just stating with you is it there is all the resentment that goes with it

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Not if the employed person gets a redundancy package Alan.

coventrygull

the right one
Jun 3, 2004
Bridlington Yorkshire

Come on a lot of redundancy packages are really poor. The car workers up here are hardly rolling in it. I would imagine that if you work for a small compnay and you lose your job. You would get f*** all. To be honest even if you got a pay out of say 20 grand. How long would that last in this day and age.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

Oh well, that makes everything alright. And if they don't have a redundancy package?

An extra month's salary, delaying the inevitable stress and strain of unemployment and extreme economic thrift by four weeks, followed by a fairly seismic shift in lifestyle.

How dare you cheapen and trivialise the pain suffered by people being made unemployed by implying they'll be alright with their redundancy package.

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
Oh well, that makes everything alright. And if they don't have a redundancy package?

An extra month's salary, delaying the inevitable stress and strain of unemployment and extreme economic thrift by four weeks, followed by a fairly seismic shift in lifestyle.

How dare you cheapen and trivialise the pain suffered by people being made unemployed by implying they'll be alright with their redundancy package.

I would think that most employers think strongly about offering only the statutory minimum.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
If people can aruge that they are not better off through the credit crunch if they are still employed with the facts above I am all ears.

I'm employed and it's been shite.

- I've had to take a 12.5% pay cut.
- My mortgage has gone up significantly as we had to remortgage a year ago when all deals were pish.
- I've had to start paying a hefty sum a month to insure my family against redundancy.
- Like everyone, my utilties, petrol and weekly shop are up.

[And let's ignore the fact that my personal pension pot (although now recovering) lost 40% of its value at one point, and is still around 15% down on two years ago. Plus my company used to pay paternity leave - I just had a kid and didn't get any.]

Add those 4 things listed above together, and around 30% of my finances has been wiped out just through the cushy laughing my head off at the poor people living it up bed of roses champagne every day LUXURY of being employed.

This recession has hurt pretty much everyone, and to lump a huge tract of the population into a catch-all "well they're all right" snipe is just f***ing stupid really. Sweeping and bitter generalisations ill-become you, US.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

FFS say ALan READ READ READ READ what I actually say. I have said self employed people DO NOT get a redundancy package if their chosen job ends. That is ALL I have said. I HAVE NOT trivialised anyone. You have made that up to suit your own agenda. All people who have lost their jobs are suffering employed or self employed. People like you are misrepresenting what I have said and mis quoting me. The statement I made is that people WHO ARE STILL employed and EARNING THE SAME MONEY are better off with the credit crunch as often if they have a mortgage their payments will be much lower and they have far more spending power for their money. That was the statement which is TRUE.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
Self employed people go it alone because they think that they can make more money for themselves rather than working for an employer (I am presuming here that an individual has learnt a trade/profession as a junior etc) If they didn't think this then they wouldn't do it, they would stick with their employer.

There are good and bad things about being self employed, if it works you can make a huge amount of money for yourself, if it doesn't you don't have any safety net to fall back on (unless you have made savings which is down to an individuals self discipline) Self employed people have made their own choice.

coventrygull

the right one
Jun 3, 2004
Bridlington Yorkshire
Self employed people go it alone because they think that they can make more money for themselves rather than working for an employer (I am presuming here that an individual has learnt a trade/profession as a junior etc) If they didn't think this then they wouldn't do it, they would stick with their employer.

There are good and bad things about being self employed, if it works you can make a huge amount of money for yourself, if it doesn't you don't have any safety net to fall back on (unless you have made savings which is down to an individuals self discipline) Self employed people have made their own choice.

Thats true. My lad gave up a good job to go self employed. I wasn't happy but his taken the risk and good luck to him.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
FFS say ALan READ READ READ READ what I actually say. I have said self employed people DO NOT get a redundancy package if their chosen job ends. That is ALL I have said. I HAVE NOT trivialised anyone. You have made that up to suit your own agenda. All people who have lost their jobs are suffering employed or self employed. People like you are misrepresenting what I have said and mis quoting me. The statement I made is that people WHO ARE STILL employed and EARNING THE SAME MONEY are better off with the credit crunch as often if they have a mortgage their payments will be much lower and they have far more spending power for their money. That was the statement which is TRUE.

You're just not in a position to make such a broad sweeping statement like that.

Not everyone who is salaried is better off, as the example earlier in the thread demonstrates.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
You're just not in a position to make such a broad sweeping statement like that.

Not everyone who is salaried is better off, as the example earlier in the thread demonstrates.

I know a few people who work for very multinational large companies and will soon be walking away with the bare minimum, which after working for a company for over ten years feels like a kick in the teeth.

In such a situation, I sometimes feel the self employed are in a better position because they are used to having to find work.

When you've done the same job, for the same company for ten years it must be a nightmare.

Having said that, the only positive is that I know many people who feel get laid off (in such a situation) was the best thing that happened to them. Fresh start and all that.

Robbie G

Jul 26, 2004
Hassocks
The bloody government should have left things alone. Markets work because they are free, not manipulated by a government because they wish to be seen to be saving the population.

Leave well enough alone. Problem is they are in up to the armpits and with debt like that they need Gordon Brown back as Chancellor and not as Captain Pugwash steering a leaky ship..

I would argue that if the government had left things alone, we would be in a much worse situation than now. There needed to be big fiscal stimulus (government spending) to partly conteract the fall in GDP.

The problem of the government debt is not a big one. Many countries have debt:gdp ratio much greater than the UK. It looks bad because there has been a large sudden increase, but then, in my opinion, it was needed.

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
I know a few people who work for very multinational large companies and will soon be walking away with the bare minimum, which after working for a company for over ten years feels like a kick in the teeth.

In such a situation, I sometimes feel the self employed are in a better position because they are used to having to find work.

When you've done the same job, for the same company for ten years it must be a nightmare.

Having said that, the only positive is that I know many people who feel get laid off (in such a situation) was the best thing that happened to them. Fresh start and all that.

I am in a not to a disimilar situation, if I get the chop I will get the minumim £360 for every year I have done which actually is a pittance for the number of years service (I should imagine more than half of all private sector companies do this).

However, do they know that by law the company have to give them ten weeks notice (if you have done 10 years service) if they are being made redundant by a company that has not gone bust.

If they have no job to go to that could give them a potential six weeks further salary plus an extra 6 weeks to find a job.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Oh FFS I give up :shrug:. Clearly you are in a mood to be like this as obviously you are not reading my post and just trying to get a reaction. I said, now listen carefully IF YOU ARE EMPLOYED AND, and this is the important part, EARNING THE SAME AS LAST YEAR. You will be better off in this credit crunch. I know its hard to understand. Would you like me to explain it to you again ?.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Oh FFS I give up :shrug:. Clearly you are in a mood to be like this as obviously you are not reading my post and just trying to get a reaction. I said, now listen carefully IF YOU ARE EMPLOYED AND, and this is the important part, EARNING THE SAME AS LAST YEAR. You will be better off in this credit crunch. I know its hard to understand. Would you like me to explain it to you again ?.

Nope. You have made a sweeping generalisation, which is not backed up with either facts nor even any examples. You are taking ONLY mortgages as your guide to financial stability and net income and expenditure. That's not a good enough yardstick in itself to make your statements.

I am not in a mood - it's Friday don't you know - it's you who were the one who came across with your bitterness and resentment of how much you believe better off salaried people are. So stop grizzling just because I am challenging your incomplete assertions.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here