Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Radio presenters saying the parents where irresponsible (Madeleine)

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Beach Hut said:
We gave up on child care after having the 2nd, we would end up paying more if Mrs Hut worked part time

My daughter stopped working in March because after paying out everything she was only £1,000 a year better off.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
tedebear said:
I guess she'd know the answers to my suppositions then...or maybe I'm just over protective...who knows...

Well she started working there when Mini was there but he is now 9. She is trying to get a job in a school now but finding it difficult.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Mads has been to creche from an early age (ie under 1) and I don't regret it for a second.

Compared to some children we know who have either rarely gone or never gone to creche/nursery she is ahead in leaps and bounds. I don't mean 'academically' (whatever that means at age 4) either. Her all-round social skills, politeness, willingness to share and display care for others are streets ahead of most of her peers.

Down to the parents, down to creche, just luck or some combination of all three? I don't know.

What I do know is she loves it there. When I dropped her off yesterday morning she ran to one of her carers, threw her little arms around her and gave her a smackeroonie (as she calls a big kiss).

If she enjoys school half as much, and gets as much from it, I'll be delighted.

footychick

Nicola
Dec 8, 2005
Soham, United Kingdom
When we go away camping (at a campsite) we often leave the children sleeping in the tent while we go for a drink or a walk.
Does that make us bad parents?
I'm sure lots of parents do something similar, you just don't think that someone could abduct your children.
We should get behind the parents and not slaughter them, they're going through enough as it is.

Porky

Oct 5, 2003
Ontario. Canada
Irresponsible maybe, but I don't think it warrents them having their little girl abducted, and possibly {God forbid} murdered

I can remember standing outside many a pub till closing time, {10.30} when I was eight or nine years old, while my parents and their friends were inside.
Iguess that would classed as child abuse today.

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
tedebear said:
I was just thinking to myself that maybe the more you get used to childcare - the more relaxed you get about your kids supervision? Just a thought...

I think we've gone the other way. The more we've used childcare (and I am talking nannies, day centres etc rather than the grandparents for babysitting!) the more * not sure what the word is (un-relaxed)* I have become. I am not sure if that is entirely the childcare situation or the other stuff that has gone on in our lives.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Starry said:
I think we've gone the other way. The more we've used childcare (and I am talking nannies, day centres etc rather than the grandparents for babysitting!) the more * not sure what the word is (un-relaxed)* I have become. I am not sure if that is entirely the childcare situation or the other stuff that has gone on in our lives.

Hmmm you might be right...

I think Bozza took my point the wrong way, wasn't having a dig at toddler/child development in anyway, just a reflection on how much other people care for our kids and whether that may make us lax. But having said that Starry maybe were not, how many nurseries have parent cam now!!

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
I am amazed that so many pages, ( and the news generally) have been written about whether this poor girls parents were good or not. So many people seem to have missed the point , that the perpetrator of this awful crime is almost certainly a depraved paedophile. Whoever it was, he was going to take somebody,s child, come what may.This girl and her family happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. If it wasn,t her, almost certainly some other family (maybe me, maybe you) would be going through this unimaginable pain right now. For those who would never leave their children unattended, paedophiles dont just like 3 year olds. Any child up to the age of 12 or so is fair game to them. Far more attention needs to be given to finding this man, and the many others like him who are waiting......just waiting for the opportunity to strike.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
tedebear said:
Things like when paying for petrol, I take Arthur out of his car seat and into the kiosk. It's a pain in the botty but my brain can't view that as a non-risk situation. I don't want to smother him but I can't rationalise any risk as "good" risk if you understand what I'm trying to say.

tedebear - fair enough - but a second child would change that one ..............

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I have to agree with Tedebear on this one - Any precaution you can take to avoid what has happened to these poor people must be considered

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Nibble said:
I have to agree with Tedebear on this one - Any precaution you can take to avoid what has happened to these poor people must be considered

I agree, and freely admit that myself and Mrs.cjd are selfish, and TRY to be as vigilant as we can with our small children to DECREASE the chances of our children being abducted. However, this action by ourselves and many more parents INCREASE the chances of children, of less vigilant parents, being abducted. The main problem is still not being addressed......the paedophile.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
cjd said:
The main problem is still not being addressed......the paedophile.

The reason I haven't addressed it is that it is too horrible to contemplate for me sorry. Too heartbreaking. I'm sure everyone on here agrees.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
tedebear said:
The reason I haven't addressed it is that it is too horrible to contemplate for me sorry. Too heartbreaking. I'm sure everyone on here agrees.

Sorry Tedebear.....didn,t mean you in particular....I meant the board in general, the media and society.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
cjd said:
Sorry Tedebear.....didn,t mean you in particular....I meant the board in general, the media and society.

No its alright I know you didn't mean me particularly, but I'm guessing we (the public, NSC the press etc.) will have that discussion when its found out what has really happened to the poor little girl.

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Not read the whole thread, but my initial reaction when the story broke was exactly that of the press / radio stations who are claiming the parents were irresponsible.

However, most parents would probably admit that at some stage or other they've made a decision which could've had a detrimental effect on their child, be it nipping down the shops, driving over the speed limit etc, and nothing's gone wrong.

You can bet anything that this couple will have discussed the pros and cons of leaving the kids alone that night, before going out, and one of them may have been more inclined to either stay in or take the kids with them. Can you possibly imagine how they must feel now?! It'll be a decision that'll haunt this couple for the rest of their lives.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Hopefully this story will remind some parents of the need to be vigilant. The summer holiday are not far away and this is always the time when the abduction numbers increase.

cardboard

Jul 8, 2003
Mile Oak
Things are happening down in Spain and Portugal

They have sealed off a village near Seville and the police have rushed the parents away

fingers crossed

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
cardboard said:
Things are happening down in Spain and Portugal

They have sealed off a village near Seville and the police have rushed the parents away

fingers crossed

Where can we get more info?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here