Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Radio presenters saying the parents where irresponsible (Madeleine)

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
Dick Knights Mumm said:
tedebear - fair enough - but a second child would change that one ..............

It doesn't. I have three and they all get out of the car at the petrol station, post office or wherever.

I dial 101 when I see children left in cars. I sat in the car park at Badger Farm Sainsburys and watched as I dialled 101 and the police arrived before the parent even made it out of Starbucks. :(

wehatepalace

Limbs
NSC Patron
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
Starry said:
It doesn't. I have three and they all get out of the car at the petrol station, post office or wherever.

I dial 101 when I see children left in cars. I sat in the car park at Badger Farm Sainsburys and watched as I dialled 101 and the police arrived before the parent even made it out of Starbucks. :(
Whats 101 ?

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
wehatepalace said:
Whats 101 ?

A police number in Hampshire (think it's only Hampshire) that you can call for crimes not quite so serious as murder, robbery - for things like anti social behaviour, noise nuisance etc.

cardboard

Jul 8, 2003
Mile Oak
Starry said:
A police number in Hampshire (think it's only Hampshire) that you can call for crimes not quite so serious as murder, robbery - for things like anti social behaviour, noise nuisance etc.

Leicestershire and a few more places, if successful will be rolled out countrywide

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Bozza said:
Mads has been to creche from an early age (ie under 1) and I don't regret it for a second.

Compared to some children we know who have either rarely gone or never gone to creche/nursery she is ahead in leaps and bounds. I don't mean 'academically' (whatever that means at age 4) either. Her all-round social skills, politeness, willingness to share and display care for others are streets ahead of most of her peers.

Down to the parents, down to creche, just luck or some combination of all three? I don't know.

What I do know is she loves it there. When I dropped her off yesterday morning she ran to one of her carers, threw her little arms around her and gave her a smackeroonie (as she calls a big kiss).

If she enjoys school half as much, and gets as much from it, I'll be delighted.

Exactly the same as my 3 year old son :clap:

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
Dick Knights Mumm said:
How old are your kids Starry ?

Nine, six and nine months.

I tried to write more but not sure how to word it, I have another daughter in between the two youngest who would be almost four. (2y 3m, 2y 4m and 3y2m age gaps between them) And ever since we'd had the first they have all gotten out of the car at places. I usually try and make sure I go alone to the petrol station/post office or that my husband is with us as well. If not they all clamber out and clamber back in.

Lady Bracknell

Handbag at Dawn
Jul 5, 2003
The Metropolis
Dick Knights Mumm said:
How old are your kids Starry ?

It's the age of the children that make all the difference, I reckon. Certainly, I didn't leave babies or toddlers unattended in cars but once they reached school age I had absolutely no problem in making the Vicious Bros wait in the car while I went and paid for petrol. Not least because it avoided them NEEDING every temptingly displayed bag of sweets en route to the till!

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Starry said:

I was thinking that as well. But I only have one at the moment. In Australia its illegal to leave your kids in the car unattended. They die from overheating in a matter of minutes.

I hope this press conference at 6:30pm is good news of this poor little girl.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
roz said:
It's the age of the children that make all the difference, I reckon. Certainly, I didn't leave babies or toddlers unattended in cars but once they reached school age I had absolutely no problem in making the Vicious Bros wait in the car while I went and paid for petrol. Not least because it avoided them NEEDING every temptingly displayed bag of sweets en route to the till!

I remember my Dad used to go out in the car specifically to fill it up!! I reckon this was a ploy to get a bit of his own time to himself - given that he filled the car up a few times a week - but never drove anywhere much!! :blush:

I hasten to edit we were at home with Mum!! not alone!!

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Starry said:
Nine, six and nine months.

I tried to write more but not sure how to word it, I have another daughter in between the two youngest who would be almost four. (2y 3m, 2y 4m and 3y2m age gaps between them) And ever since we'd had the first they have all gotten out of the car at places. I usually try and make sure I go alone to the petrol station/post office or that my husband is with us as well. If not they all clamber out and clamber back in.

Anastasia is known here. I hope I spelt her name correctly.

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
tedebear said:
I was thinking that as well. But I only have one at the moment. In Australia its illegal to leave your kids in the car unattended. They die from overheating in a matter of minutes.

I hope this press conference at 6:30pm is good news of this poor little girl.

That's so sad, my sister lives in America and someone their left their child in the car and she died. So sad :(

I hope the press conference is good news. I just can't imagine the torment her family must feel.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
roz said:

Ok...OK...i see what you are saying........however....

Give me an age you might think of leaving them........lets be specific guys......

Coz I gotta feeling that the depraved paediphile would take his chances with kids a little older.........!!!

So tell me the age ( prior to this tragic incident ) you might think of leaving them 50m away....

My wife of course tonight said.....14 !!!

No way.......we cannot run our lives based on events that thankfully are so unlikely to happen.....!!!

Come on...walking to School......Climbing trees...sports etc...etc.....!!

Be consitent...............I know we try to protect..........but lets think a little.....

to be honest........( in this instance a little too young to be left...not because of abduction...but the Swimming Pool )

But dont wish to be judgemental .... not now.......!

Lady Bracknell

Handbag at Dawn
Jul 5, 2003
The Metropolis
Keeping judgements out of it I have to say that I wouldn't have left a three year old alone while I went out for a meal anywhere that was out of sight. Mainly because there's an age when a child's mobility is not matched by any sense of danger. Also a small child in an unfamiliar place could wake up and be very distressed if they discovered their parents were missing.

I allowed my sons to walk to primary school from the age of 7 and 8 (they had to walk together) because the route was through a particularly quiet part of Lewes with no main roads to cross - I was far more concerned about road safety than I was afraid they'd be abducted.

Climbing trees and the like was something they did as soon as they were old enough to climb them. I still recall the evening when the younger one was 6 and got stuck on top of the garage roof because his brother helped him up there only to do a runner and leave him abandoned up there!

So I certainly didn't wrap them in cottonwool and no harm came to them. However, being a parent mainly involves wondering whether you are making the right choices and hoping your judgement is sound. Since none of us is perfect I'm sure we could make a positive catalogue of the mistakes we did make!

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here