Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Radcliffe - splitter

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Looks like she's making a bit of an effort for her £272,000 in New York. Shame chasing a bronze medal didn't have the same appeal.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
It may have something to do with the fact its 40 degrees fahreinheit cooler and its not up and down steep hills. ???

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Or it may not. Happily neither of us will ever know for sure, leaving the way open to lots of unfair speculation.

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
She was advised NOT to even run in Athens because of the conditions but didnt want to let people down. I think we should let her get on with her life. We all make mistakes, we are all human. What makes some different from others is the ability to forget pass mistakes and get on with life.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Ahh, bless. You really are a naive little soul, aren't you? I think that's called 'spin' you're spouting. Same track and conditions for everyone in Athens. But apparently the heat only affected our Paula. I don't give a shit that she didn't win, could have finished 80th for all I care.

But I am bothered that someone who would have given everything didn't make the team for Radcliffe, who gave up when she thought she wasn't going to get a medal. There was NO conclusive eveidence produced, even by her camp, that she was in genuine physical distress. It was bottle.

Even winning this race would not make up for that, in fact because of the incredible cash on offer it might make people question her priorities even more.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Splitter my arse. More guts and determination than keyboard warriors who sit in their arses criticising will ever have.

Well done Paula !.:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
Whatever inspired her that was some race. Having run in 30c I can tell you if you are not feeling OK it'a a killer. The win by Paula today shows up many of our so called sportsmen who with one tap fall over and cry foul. .
Great run Paula
:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Last edited:

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
Tooting Gull said:
Ahh, bless. You really are a naive little soul, aren't you? I think that's called 'spin' you're spouting. Same track and conditions for everyone in Athens. But apparently the heat only affected our Paula. I don't give a shit that she didn't win, could have finished 80th for all I care.

But I am bothered that someone who would have given everything didn't make the team for Radcliffe, who gave up when she thought she wasn't going to get a medal. There was NO conclusive eveidence produced, even by her camp, that she was in genuine physical distress. It was bottle.

Even winning this race would not make up for that, in fact because of the incredible cash on offer it might make people question her priorities even more.

Okay so I cannot prove what I said, show me your proof that she was feeling fine, and that she just said

"f*** it I aint gonna win so why bother. Might as well just stop now."

What you cannot? Prehaps it was just some bored tabloid journalist with nothing better to write about. Prehaps is was some one who was jelous of what she had achived and was jumping on the fact that for once she did not run the perfect race, and got her build up all wrong.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Well done Paula great win at the end of the year.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
:clap2: A great performance. :clap2:

larus

Tooting Gull said:
Looks like she's making a bit of an effort for her £272,000 in New York. Shame chasing a bronze medal didn't have the same appeal.

What's your greatst sporting achievement?

You obviously love football, that's why you're on a football chat site, so why aren't you out there playing premiership football. Haven't you got the ability? It's widely accepted that the desire to achieve make people succeed. You obviously haven't got that otherwise you would be playing football at the highest level.

As you're not, you don't have the right to criticise someone for something that you can't comprehend. She had been unwell prior to the Olympics and her training had been affected badly. She was advised not to run, but was under enormous pressure to compete due to the media hype around her being our only real Athletics gold medal hope.

If she hadn't competed, she would have been slagged off as well.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Re: Re: Radcliffe - splitter

larus said:
What's your greatst sporting achievement?

You obviously love football, that's why you're on a football chat site, so why aren't you out there playing premiership football. Haven't you got the ability? It's widely accepted that the desire to achieve make people succeed. You obviously haven't got that otherwise you would be playing football at the highest level.

As you're not, you don't have the right to criticise someone for something that you can't comprehend. She had been unwell prior to the Olympics and her training had been affected badly. She was advised not to run, but was under enormous pressure to compete due to the media hype around her being our only real Athletics gold medal hope.

If she hadn't competed, she would have been slagged off as well.

I have every right to say anything I like about Paula Radcliffe, including daring to criticise this latter-day saint. This is a message board, as I'm sure in your more alert moments you've noticed. And I can't be the only person wondering what actually happened in Athens. She destroys everyone before, and afterwards. I don't want to be a Premiership footballer, they're mostly c**ts. And I operate at a high level in my chosen career. Anything else?

Spicy2

Aug 12, 2004
London
Well done Paula. :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Lush

Mods' Pet
Re: Re: Radcliffe - splitter

The Clown of Pevensey Bay said:
Come back and have a pop when you've run a marathon faster than Paula has, pal.

Bit unfair. I can't kick a ball for a toffee, but it doesn't mean I can't have a pop at our centre-backs' performance yesterday.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Re: Re: Re: Radcliffe - splitter

Tooting Gull said:
I have every right to say anything I like about Paula Radcliffe, including daring to criticise this latter-day saint. This is a message board, as I'm sure in your more alert moments you've noticed. And I can't be the only person wondering what actually happened in Athens. She destroys everyone before, and afterwards. I don't want to be a Premiership footballer, they're mostly c**ts. And I operate at a high level in my chosen career. Anything else?

:yawn: :yawn:

Old news

SussexHoop

Dec 7, 2003
I read an article about her after Athens, in which it was shall we say suggested that she had a year long training schedule set up, building up towards a climax in Athens, which involved extensive training in I believe it was Dubai to get her accustomed to the conditions she was likely to encounter in Athens.

The article suggested that this schedule was broken and she ran in 2 additional races, picking up in excess of £500,000 for doing so. Running in these races meant that the training in Dubai went out the window.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Im torn on this.

On the one hand well done Paula for winning so many races and pushing the profile of athletics forward.

But on the other, she should have finished the race. We see her as a 'gutsy girl' but everyone else managed..including other western european athletes (including British). I dont think it was a case of her bottling it though.

I think she just realised that she was not going to achieve her life long dream and that is obviously going to affect your performance. It was similar to when Gazza got booked and cried.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Re: Re: Re: Radcliffe - splitter

Lush said:
Bit unfair. I can't kick a ball for a toffee, but it doesn't mean I can't have a pop at our centre-backs' performance yesterday.

Yes it does, shut it :jester:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here