Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Radcliffe - splitter

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Dick Knights Mum said:
most of the criticism was akin to kicking a dog when it's down
Paula's no oil painting, but i think thats a bit harsh.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
caz99 said:
JUST ONE QUESTION WHO BLOODY CARES :clap:
Quite a few people. She's one of our top athletes. Sunday's marathon was easily the highlight of the weekend for me.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Yoda said:
Oh FFS!!! Not Paula again.

I was in Athens for the Olympics, staying at a hotel only about 25mins into the marathon route.

The day of the marathon, it was one of the hottest and calmest days of the games.

She tried to break them in the first 15-20 miles of the race but did not succeed. If you saw your dream slipping away from you would this happen to you? The heart takes over from the mind and your legs start to feel heavier and heavier until the whole emotion thing takes over and you'd have no more left to continue.

Being an Athlete at county level, I even tried to train one day out there (even though my season had just ended) and I couldn't even get round to doing my 2nd set. It was just too hot, and that was 6 days into my stay out there. (Plenty of time to acclimatize) So I have first hand experience of what she had to go through. :angry:

*Get's of chair*

So, Yoda. You are an athlete at county level. And you found it hard to run in Athens. I'm not surprised, I would find it hard to play football in Athens. But you're missing the point. Paula is at the very top of her profession, she was favourite for olympic gold! And it was too hot for her. Ahh, poor Paula. When England went out in the World Cup to Brazil, why didn't everyone say "Oh, well it was very hot, they're not use to those conditions". Because they are supposed to be at the very top of their profession, and this is just not an acceptable excuse. So why is it for Paula? I just don't understand what the difference is. I think it is partly because she is a woman, and partly because she is an individual rather than a team. Anyway, I'm sick of this subject, I'm arguing about it with people in my office now and it's making me angry.

:angry:

I'm going for a cigarette.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Commander said:
So, Yoda. You are an athlete at county level. And you found it hard to run in Athens. I'm not surprised, I would find it hard to play football in Athens. But you're missing the point. Paula is at the very top of her profession, she was favourite for olympic gold! And it was too hot for her. Ahh, poor Paula. When England went out in the World Cup to Brazil, why didn't everyone say "Oh, well it was very hot, they're not use to those conditions". Because they are supposed to be at the very top of their profession, and this is just not an acceptable excuse. So why is it for Paula? I just don't understand what the difference is. I think it is partly because she is a woman, and partly because she is an individual rather than a team. Anyway, I'm sick of this subject, I'm arguing about it with people in my office now and it's making me angry.

:angry:

I'm going for a cigarette.

:shootself ::wave:

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Brovian said:
Actually just re-reading your post Deportivo it MUST have been a wind-up. I tried one earlier up the thread but nobody went for it. Got me!

I gonna climb Everest next wearing a rather slinky off the shoulder number ..... piece of piss this extreme sport stuff init.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Okay, I can't be arsed to read the whole thread.

However, I was staying with my Uncle in Canada at the time of the Olympics, and as a former competitive marathon runner, this is what he told me.

He said that Paula Radcliffe's training wasn't right for the Athens marathon. She trained at altitude, which is great for stamina, but in no way prepared her for the heat and humidity she had to face.

He also quickly predicted that she wouldn't complete the other race, because he says it takes about two months to fully recover from a marathon.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here