Falmer Flutter © said:
Getaway...

I also don't like the olympics. I think they're shit.:yawn:

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Commander said:
Oh and she ran the 10,000 metres in Sydney, not the marathon.

I was only going on what I was told on here. I don't know anything about the olympics. [/B][/QUOTE]

My fault, should have been more specific, 10K is just 6 miles. A marathon is 26miles and a bit, The heat took its toll in the Sydney 10k, imagine what it did in Athens which was worse ... lot, lot worse.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Easy 10 said:
It was hot.
Paula got knackered.
She gave up.

Nuff said.

Bastard, you've gone and spoilt it now just when it was starting to get vaguely interesting.:lolol:

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Pavilionaire said:
Great thread.

I can't understand how such a consistently good runner got it so wrong in the Olympics. Yes, there were hot weather conditions but these were predictable, and she obviously didn't prepare properly.

Whatever she does from now on (and I hope she has great success) makes no difference to me, cos she let us all down.
Ok Deportivo......

Absolutely El Pres. In the Olympics she let HERSELF down. She let HER COACH down. She let THE TEAM down. She let HER FAMILY down. She let THE COUNTRY down. She let her DEAD GRANNY down. No matter how many tinpot City marathons she wins she'll always be remembered for bottling it when it REALLY MATTERED.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Deportivo Seagull said:
Bastard, you've gone and spoilt it now just when it was starting to get vaguely interesting.:lolol:
I just felt that SOMEONE needed to draw a line under all this.

;)

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Brovian said:
Ok Deportivo......

Absolutely El Pres. In the Olympics she let HERSELF down. She let HER COACH down. She let THE TEAM down. She let HER FAMILY down. She let THE COUNTRY down. She let her DEAD GRANNY down. No matter how many tinpot City marathons she wins she'll always be remembered for bottling it when it REALLY MATTERED.

Pavilionaire, not Deportivo / El Pres, dumbass!...

At least we agree.

The only way she can atone is by winning the next Olympics.

We have precious few decent sportswomen without her letting the side down. Thank God for Kelly Holmes - Sports Personality Of The Year Elect 2004.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Pavilionaire said:
Pavilionaire, not Deportivo / El Pres, dumbass!...

At least we agree.

The only way she can atone is by winning the next Olympics.

We have precious few decent sportswomen without her letting the side down. Thank God for Kelly Holmes - Sports Personality Of The Year Elect 2004.
Sorry! Misread the name of the original poster! Don't know how I got El Pres mixed up with Pavilionaire. The 'Ok Deportivo' was aimed at Depo who reckoned the thread was getting boring.

I have to say my posting was more for effect than a reflection of what I feel but sadly nobody bit. I do find it very strange though that none of us can play professional football and none of us can run Olympic marathons. However you can slag off footballers until you're blue in the face, calling them lazy, useless etc, and no one gives a monkeys. If anybody DARES to criticise St Paula they are castiagted as an unfeeling bastard. That's what really irritates me, nothing to do with her performances.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Dare I suggest that most of you want to criticise her because she broke down crying and is in fact a woman??

Weak emotional woman, therefore a right off?

A sportman would never give up, oh no, cos he's a real man.

Right !!

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Well done Paula.

I get the feeling that her critics were hoping she'd have to stop again.

Wankers :salute:

Yoda

English & European
Oh FFS!!! Not Paula again.

I was in Athens for the Olympics, staying at a hotel only about 25mins into the marathon route.

The day of the marathon, it was one of the hottest and calmest days of the games.

She tried to break them in the first 15-20 miles of the race but did not succeed. If you saw your dream slipping away from you would this happen to you? The heart takes over from the mind and your legs start to feel heavier and heavier until the whole emotion thing takes over and you'd have no more left to continue.

Being an Athlete at county level, I even tried to train one day out there (even though my season had just ended) and I couldn't even get round to doing my 2nd set. It was just too hot, and that was 6 days into my stay out there. (Plenty of time to acclimatize) So I have first hand experience of what she had to go through. :angry:

*Get's of chair*

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Yorkie said:
Dare I suggest that most of you want to criticise her because she broke down crying and is in fact a woman??

Weak emotional woman, therefore a right off?

A sportman would never give up, oh no, cos he's a real man.

Right !!
I don't want to criticise her at all, but as she's a sportsperson in the public eye she's going to have her good performances praised and her bad ones panned.

She lost in the Olympics either because she quit or because she was poorly prepared, whatever. She won on Sunday because she WAS prepared and kept digging deep every time the Kenyan tried to kick. I watched every minute of it and it was inspiring stuff. Still though no one has answered my question as to why she should be above criticism.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Brovian said:
Still though no one has answered my question as to why she should be above criticism.

no-one is above criticism, butmost of the criticism was akin to kicking a dog when it's down. In fact there was a lot of the criticism which seemed to have been written with absolute pleasure because of the pre-olympic hype.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Dick Knights Mum said:
no-one is above criticism, butmost of the criticism was akin to kicking a dog when it's down. In fact there was a lot of the criticism which seemed to have been written with absolute pleasure because of the pre-olympic hype.
True, and in that respect she's second behind David Beckham in the "kick 'em while they're down" stakes. Still doesn't explain why most NSC posters say "marathon running is very hard so shut up".

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Brovian said:
True, and in that respect she's second behind David Beckham in the "kick 'em while they're down" stakes. Still doesn't explain why most NSC posters say "marathon running is very hard so shut up".

Now that is funny .. when nearly half the population are obese and couldn't run to catch a bus, it would appear that marathons are easy. The reason i stuck to running 10k's and 1/2 marathons was because I didn't have the time or inclination to run the 80-100 miles a week you need to get the fitness levels.

next week , triathlon's in flips-flops and a towel on a diet of curry and beer ... coz it's easy :shootself

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Deportivo Seagull said:
Now that is funny .. when nearly half the population are obese and couldn't run to catch a bus, it would appear that marathons are easy. The reason i stuck to running 10k's and 1/2 marathons was because I didn't have the time or inclination to run the 80-100 miles a week you need to get the fitness levels.

next week , triathlon's in flips-flops and a towel on a diet of curry and beer ... coz it's easy :shootself
AAARRGGHHHH! That's PRECISELY the point of view I was moaning about. No one has ever said running a Marathon is easy, indeed before the New York marathon popularised the sport it was generally agreed in athletics circles that only the clinically insane ran marathons (speaking as an 800 / 1500 metre runner). But as I've said in previous posts (which you obviously haven't read), playing professional football, or any sport, at the highest level is 'hard', and yet other sportspeople can be criticised without this constant reference to "well you couldn't do it".

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Actually just re-reading your post Deportivo it MUST have been a wind-up. I tried one earlier up the thread but nobody went for it. Got me!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here