Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Radcliffe - splitter

oapdodge

Jul 15, 2003
SussexHoop said:
I read an article about her after Athens, in which it was shall we say suggested that she had a year long training schedule set up, building up towards a climax in Athens, which involved extensive training in I believe it was Dubai to get her accustomed to the conditions she was likely to encounter in Athens.

I don't take that much time in getting my missus to reach her climax.I don't send her to Dubai to get accustomed to me either.
Perhaps that was her problem.She did looked spent in Athens maybe she had spent to much time with the old man reaching her climax that she got saddle sore and couldn't run.Looked a bit bandy legged.

Fluffster

Jul 5, 2003
Shoreham
If you'd ran 15 odd miles to reliase you wouldn't win a medal, you'd be a bit f***ed off, wouldn't you?

Well done Paula great run! :clap2:

larus

Richie Morris said:
Im torn on this.

On the one hand well done Paula for winning so many races and pushing the profile of athletics forward.

But on the other, she should have finished the race. We see her as a 'gutsy girl' but everyone else managed..including other western european athletes (including British). I dont think it was a case of her bottling it though.

I think she just realised that she was not going to achieve her life long dream and that is obviously going to affect your performance. It was similar to when Gazza got booked and cried.

Richie, have you ever done any sport where your mind wants to keep going, but your body just won't. I've been in that position before when running, your body just gives up, there's nothing left.

The poor girl was totally knackered, and then you get dipshits (not you) slagging her off. The distress she showed was real; she wanted to get a medal so bad, but couldn't give any more. She was not the only one to drop out of the race, and IMO it was farcical to hold a marathon in a hot country in late afternoon (just to please the American audience). These races should be run at the best time which is early morning. It's tough enough running 26 miles, without having to do it in that heat. What's next, have it running up a mountain?

caz99

Jun 2, 2004
Sompting
larus said:
Richie, have you ever done any sport where your mind wants to keep going, but your body just won't. I've been in that position before when running, your body just gives up, there's nothing left.

The poor girl was totally knackered, and then you get dipshits (not you) slagging her off. The distress she showed was real; she wanted to get a medal so bad, but couldn't give any more. She was not the only one to drop out of the race, and IMO it was farcical to hold a marathon in a hot country in late afternoon (just to please the American audience). These races should be run at the best time which is early morning. It's tough enough running 26 miles, without having to do it in that heat. What's next, have it running up a mountain?

:clap2: :clap2:

Long distance runners are odd characters. I've known a few.

They run for themselves, not as representatives of their club or their country. Most of them hate the expectations that the public have and the responsibility this puts upon them.

I guess Paula Radcliffe is no different from most. Only she will know what went wrong in Athens and whether yesterday's run in New York went right for her.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
So do I have to prove that I'm capable of passing a football to one of my teammates better than Kerry Mayo in order to earn some sort of right right to moan about his performance on Saturday? Do I bollocks!

The reason people like Radcliffe get paid a lot of money is precisely because she can run quickly for a long period of time, and most people (certainly myself included) can't.

Sod it, let's join in with sanctifying her as this lovely national heroine...erm, as long as the money's right. :shootself

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Man of Harveys said:
So do I have to prove that I'm capable of passing a football to one of my teammates better than Kerry Mayo in order to earn some sort of right right to moan about his performance on Saturday? Do I bollocks!

Why would you ned to prove you can pass a ball to your team mates better then Kerry Mayo? By the standard of his performance on Saturday I would assume you could whoever you are. Would have been better if we had the other Kerry Mayo out there.

As for Radcliffe, I think she is another one who suffers from 'Tim Henman Syndrome' i.e. not performing when the stakes are highest. I don't care what anyone says, if your profession is running marathons, and you have to run one in a hot country, then you train in a hot country until you know you can do it. If she ran two extra runs which apparently ruined her training in Dubai, then that is her fault. She could have finished last but battled through and everyone (only the British) would have thought she was a hero. Never understood that mentality myself, but there you go. It annoys me, this is why we never win at anything. You don't see the Germans or Australians saying they are entering a football or rugby world cup and saying "We want to go as far as we can" do you? They go there to win and nothing else, and that is why they usually do. Not saying I could do any better than Paula though, I reckon I could run somewhere between a hundred and a hundred and fifty yards in Athens before collapsing.
:lolol:

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Commander said:
Man of Harveys said:

I don't care what anyone says, if your profession is running marathons, and you have to run one in a hot country, then you train in a hot country until you know you can do it. If :lolol:

I've read some bolloxs today but that takes the biscuit ....
the heat is a complete bastard ... I've run 10k and 1/2 marathons in the past and always prayed for rain ... If it was hot 70+ degrees I would be 2 to 3 minutes slower for a 10K, might as well walked. I used to gte back on the training in the summer because it physically f***ed me up.
When you hit the wall, it just a case of goodbye, thanks for coming, nothing works, it hurts to stand, it hurts to sat down and it bloody painful laying down. It's only happened to me a couple of times but what a bastard.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Great thread.

I can't understand how such a consistently good runner got it so wrong in the Olympics. Yes, there were hot weather conditions but these were predictable, and she obviously didn't prepare properly.

Whatever she does from now on (and I hope she has great success) makes no difference to me, cos she let us all down.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Deportivo Seagull said:
I've read some bolloxs today but that takes the biscuit ....
the heat is a complete bastard ... I've run 10k and 1/2 marathons in the past and always prayed for rain ... If it was hot 70+ degrees I would be 2 to 3 minutes slower for a 10K, might as well walked. I used to gte back on the training in the summer because it physically f***ed me up.
When you hit the wall, it just a case of goodbye, thanks for coming, nothing works, it hurts to stand, it hurts to sat down and it bloody painful laying down. It's only happened to me a couple of times but what a bastard.

Deportivo, you know more about this than me as you have run half marathons and I haven't. But my point was that if you are going to do anything as important as that (a marathon in the olympics) you should prepare properly so you are 1000% sure you can do it. How can that be bollocks? I bet if she was in the lead at the point she dropped out she would have finished. It must come down to bottle. Are you telling me that she had never run a marathon in those conditions before? If so then she is f***ing stupid for attempting it in the Olympics! It's different with football, you cant guarantee you will score goals, but you should be able to guarantee that you can at least complete a marathon if that is your profession, regardless off the conditions, and especially if you are the favourite to win it.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Commander said:
Deportivo, you know more about this than me as you have run half marathons and I haven't. But my point was that if you are going to do anything as important as that (a marathon in the olympics) you should prepare properly so you are 1000% sure you can do it. How can that be bollocks? I bet if she was in the lead at the point she dropped out she would have finished. It must come down to bottle. Are you telling me that she had never run a marathon in those conditions before? If so then she is f***ing stupid for attempting it in the Olympics! It's different with football, you cant guarantee you will score goals, but you should be able to guarantee that you can at least complete a marathon if that is your profession, regardless off the conditions, and especially if you are the favourite to win it.

This is getting fun ..... As far as I'm aware the only really hot race she's run in was at the Sydney olypmics and she came fourth, she got destroyed in the last 800m after trying to run the finsih out of the others,because of this she was wrecked, she knew she had lost well before then, but still tried to run it out of the other three in the pack. It didn't work. Her best run was the europeans in which she run the second fastest 10K ever in the coldest and shittest conditions you're likely to find, that was one of the reason she won, the other runners couldn't hack it, she throives on it. She consistently beats her competitors in cross country but fails when they meet on the track. Cross country is a winter sport, track running is a summer sport. Some runners (and I am one of them) detest the heat, and I'm mean detest the heat. The hot summer before last was a 'mare and I didn't run at all in the summer months, much to painful. If the temp had been 20 degrees cooler and lower humidity she would have wrecked the opposition in Athens. The coach of the winning Japanese runner said Radcliffe wasn't a problem because she didn't race in those conditions and would suffer. One other point, the other favourite for the race was the Ethopian runner .... who gave up because of the heat and humidity ....

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Gareth Glover said:
Splitter my arse. More guts and determination than keyboard warriors who sit in their arses criticising will ever have.

go and get some proper exercize fatty instead of just cranking your gob.:angry:

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Tooting Gull said:
There was NO conclusive eveidence produced, even by her camp, that she was in genuine physical distress.

Why would they have to prove themselves to anyone?

Saying that, the 2DTV advert was quite funny.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Deportivo Seagull said:
This is getting fun ..... As far as I'm aware the only really hot race she's run in was at the Sydney olypmics and she came fourth, she got destroyed in the last 800m after trying to run the finsih out of the others,because of this she was wrecked, she knew she had lost well before then, but still tried to run it out of the other three in the pack. It didn't work. Her best run was the europeans in which she run the second fastest 10K ever in the coldest and shittest conditions you're likely to find, that was one of the reason she won, the other runners couldn't hack it, she throives on it. She consistently beats her competitors in cross country but fails when they meet on the track. Cross country is a winter sport, track running is a summer sport. Some runners (and I am one of them) detest the heat, and I'm mean detest the heat. The hot summer before last was a 'mare and I didn't run at all in the summer months, much to painful. If the temp had been 20 degrees cooler and lower humidity she would have wrecked the opposition in Athens. The coach of the winning Japanese runner said Radcliffe wasn't a problem because she didn't race in those conditions and would suffer. One other point, the other favourite for the race was the Ethopian runner .... who gave up because of the heat and humidity ....

OK. So if as your saying, (I don't know much about the olympics) she ran in Sydney and came fourth because of the conditions but tried her hardest even though she couldn't win, why did she not adopt that mentality in Athens?As I said before, everyone would have thought she was a hero if she had done this. Also, and again, you know more about this than me, you say Paula would have wrecked the opposition if the heat had been twenty degrees lower. I'm sure she would. But it cant have come as that much of a surprise to find out it was hot when she got there. Surely she would have accounted for this? I don't know whether she ran the marathon in the olympics before Sydney, but if she didn't, she has run two olympic marathons and finished fourth in one and given up in the other, blaming the conditions both times. This does not sound like the mentality of a champion runner to me (see my last post about the German / Australian sporting mentality).

Falmer Flutter ©

Feb 18, 2004
Petts Wood
FFS she won an amazing race yesterday in front of a global audience on a difficult course. Four wins and one world record out of five marathons is pretty special in my book. We all have a bad day at the office. Unfortunately, Paula's was in Athens.

Oh and she ran the 10,000 metres in Sydney, not the marathon.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Oh and she ran the 10,000 metres in Sydney, not the marathon. [/B][/QUOTE]

I was only going on what I was told on here. I don't know anything about the olympics.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here