Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Questions to the "Hawkins is shit" mob

SeagullRic

Jan 13, 2008
brighton
Elphick started the season badly and got barely any criticism, Hawkins started fantastically and got barely any praise. Then he went through a bad spell (which I don't think he can be held accountable for) and for what seems like the majority of supporters have now turned on him.

I'm not angry with Hawkins but with Adams. When a player is playing shit, as Hawkins is (no I don't think he's a shit player) you drop thhem and play someone else who is not playing shit. You do NOT persist with someone in rubbish form, and we a re currently seeing why.

warsaw

She's lost control
Jan 28, 2008
If you look at the back four you might say (AS MOST OF US DID BEFORE THE SEASON KICKED OFF) that it looks solid enough. So what is the problem? It's a lack of a leader for me. Who is in charge of organising the back line during the game? Last few years we had big Guy to kick ass , but there is no natural leader now.

We need a central defender with presence. Might be Virgo if he is given a run at it.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
thought he was pants first time I saw him at Burgess Hill gave him the benefit of the doubt did all right for a couple of games all be it against poor oppo, but since then he has been a liability. Don't blame him not his fault he keeps getting picked Adams should have seen that he is not good enough and done the decent thing. Our defence has gone backwards since last season and the only change is Hawkins for Lynch

The thing with Elphick is that he does make mistakes, and when he does, he sometimes recovers and prevents a goal.

They both make mistakes, but Hawkins ones usually lead to a goal, where as Elphicks ones dont.

Neither are bad players, but Hawkins had to play when unfit and it made him look so much worse than he is. I dont think he stands out, but he is not as bad as people make out he is, but at this moment in time I think he bottom of the pecking order if I had to chose 2 centre backs

That doesn't wash. When goals are scored from Elphick's position, and he's either awol or basically, bypassed - that counts as a defensive mistake, in my book. Because he doesn't tend to pass the ball to an opponent, mis-kick, or head directly into his own goal (though he scored for Man City with his foot) doesn't exempt him from the same judgment as Hawkins is getting.

zego

Jul 10, 2003
Who should be held accountable for the diving header he planted so expertly in the corner? Should SULLIVAN have saved it?

I taped the ITV highlights, and viewed the Hawkins goal in slo-mo, to try to see what actually happened.

From the Hartlepool viewpoint, their leftwinger beat our defender, and successfully crossed it square from the far left touchline, low across the face of our goal, where Sullivan could be seen to have stepped back onto his line when he saw the flight of the ball.

Two Hartlepool players were moving in from the far-post, and were ahead of our two markers. One way or another it was going to be a Hartlepool goal, with either attacker about to have an unhindered chance of slamming the ball in out of reach to Sullivan's left.

At which point Hawkins hurled himself horizontally in towards the near post, amazingly getting his head to the ball, stopping a dead cert strikers goal, but just, and only just, failing to get his head that inch further forward that would have angled the ball just a couple of feet to the left, and safely outside the post.

Since crucified.

Elder for England

Jan 30, 2008
I seem to recall someone saying that there was no real threat from anyone around him so thanks for clearing that up. :thumbsup:

Elder for England

Jan 30, 2008
That's pretty much how I see it too. Tommy Elphick is a talented young central defender & perhaps the 'young' part of that might explain why people turn a blind eye to some of his shortcomings. I don't think Hawkins has been fully fit after his surgery; & I would concede that his recent form has been pretty patchy. But why people give him the slagging they do is, in my opinion, down to their own narrow-mindedness & their insatiable need to find absolute fault with at least one player at any given time. If he went, somebody else would cop the flack.

I see one of Hawkins' biggest critics on here has recently changed his avatar to a shitty little representation of his own personal vendetta against the player. It's a shame he hasn't got the balls to tell Mr Hawkins what he thinks of him in person, but we all know that's never gonna happen. Says it all for me.

Nah. I just get fed up with you continually whining on about ONE player. It bores me. :thumbsup:

:clap:

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
Nah. I just get fed up with you continually whining on about ONE player. It bores me. :thumbsup:

I think you are being really harsh on him, and singling him out to say he is having a go at one player is just uncalled for

He whines about MORE than ONE player, the manager, the atmoshpere, the ticket prices, the tactics, the subs, the lino, the ref, the hot dogs and the buses

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
I dont see how anyone can have a go at WW for moaning about Hawkins because EVERYONE on here has had a moan about either a player or manager or even one of the coaches!

This is a forum to talk about FOOTBALL and if one person seems to think that a certern part of the football club is wrong then they are free to discuss it!

How many people joined in on the Mayo/Hart are shit threads??

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
I think you are being really harsh on him, and singling him out to say he is having a go at one player is just uncalled for

He whines about MORE than ONE player, the manager, the atmoshpere, the ticket prices, the tactics, the subs, the lino, the ref, the hot dogs and the buses

Well, there is that I 'spose... :lol:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
He has every right to moan about a player on here. Its far less damaging than booing at the game.

Every one of us probably has a player that they simply don't think is up to the job. I certainly do.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
If you look at the back four you might say (AS MOST OF US DID BEFORE THE SEASON KICKED OFF) that it looks solid enough. So what is the problem? It's a lack of a leader for me. Who is in charge of organising the back line during the game? Last few years we had big Guy to kick ass , but there is no natural leader now.

We need a central defender with presence. Might be Virgo if he is given a run at it.
I think that is a factor certainly (and that is one of the reasons Kuipers should return now), but I also wonder who is coaching the defence? Because to me they almost always look totally disorganised, any good defending seems to be individual work rather than the work of the unit.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
I dont see how anyone can have a go at WW for moaning about Hawkins because EVERYONE on here has had a moan about either a player or manager or even one of the coaches!

This is a forum to talk about FOOTBALL and if one person seems to think that a certern part of the football club is wrong then they are free to discuss it!

How many people joined in on the Mayo/Hart are shit threads??

A forum to talk about football? That's a new one! :lolol:

Anyway, Withdean Whinger seems to go on about Hawkins more than anyone else I can care to remember - so I guess you're more tolerant than I am regarding his constant snipes. Fair enough: but I don't have to put up with it do I? ???

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
A forum to talk about football? That's a new one! :lolol:

Anyway, Withdean Whinger seems to go on about Hawkins more than anyone else I can care to remember - so I guess you're more tolerant than I am regarding his constant snipes. Fair enough: but I don't have to put up with it do I? ???
Admit it though, his avatar is a bit funny. :lol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here