Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Questions to the "Hawkins is shit" mob

Elder for England

Jan 30, 2008
Colin Hawkins biggest problem seems to be that he's not Tommy Elphick.

Watch him closely and in a lot of games he makes plenty of important headers, strong tackles and uncompromising clearances.

But if we concede, well, for the sheep it couldn't ever be in any way the fault of Elphick .. so there's only one man to vilify.

Don't get me wrong, Elphick's excellent. But he makes the odd mistake too, and his distribution is poor and yet that is entirely ignored by the boo boys.

I say the exact same thing to my dad. I think both Elphick and Hawkins are good. It isn't just that people don't like Hawkins, they are entitled to their opinions, but it's the blatently bias view they have of Elphick that makes them dislike Hawkins even more. Elphick was poor positionally a few times on Saturday, he too makes mistakes, but nobody picks up on this.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I say the exact same thing to my dad. I think both Elphick and Hawkins are good. It isn't just that people don't like Hawkins, they are entitled to their opinions, but it's the blatently bias view they have of Elphick that makes them dislike Hawkins even more. Elphick was poor positionally a few times on Saturday, he too makes mistakes, but nobody picks up on this.

There certainly IS an element of truth in this. The simple fact, though is that Hawkins personally gifted them 2 goals. Elphick didn't.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

Much like the Kuipers versus any other keeper... the love of one is balanced out by hatred of the other.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
The thing with Elphick is that he does make mistakes, and when he does, he sometimes recovers and prevents a goal.

They both make mistakes, but Hawkins ones usually lead to a goal, where as Elphicks ones dont.

Neither are bad players, but Hawkins had to play when unfit and it made him look so much worse than he is. I dont think he stands out, but he is not as bad as people make out he is, but at this moment in time I think he bottom of the pecking order if I had to chose 2 centre backs

Elder for England

Jan 30, 2008
There certainly IS an element of truth in this. The simple fact, though is that Hawkins personally gifted them 2 goals. Elphick didn't.

Gifted them one goal. The other one you are refering to is slightly far-fetched to say he gifted them a second. Yes he conceeded a corner, but that isn't 'personally gifting'. We should or could of defended it better.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
The other one you are refering to is slightly far-fetched to say he gifted them a second. Yes he conceeded a corner, but that isn't 'personally gifting'. We should or could of defended it better.

But he could have done what any other player would have done (though it may look shit) and kicked up the pitch, if it went for a throw in then so what, it would make his distribution look bad, but a throw in near the half way line is less dangerous than a corner (especially with Fleetwood bottling the tackle)

He had loads of time to kick it out, but he dwindled on the ball, got tackled and then they scored from the corner, which obvisouly could have been defender better by everyone else.

Elder for England

Jan 30, 2008
The thing with Elphick is that he does make mistakes, and when he does, he sometimes recovers and prevents a goal.

They both make mistakes, but Hawkins ones usually lead to a goal, where as Elphicks ones dont.

Neither are bad players, but Hawkins had to play when unfit and it made him look so much worse than he is. I dont think he stands out, but he is not as bad as people make out he is, but at this moment in time I think he bottom of the pecking order if I had to chose 2 centre backs

Yes Elphick has been at fault for goals, just like Whing and Richards, but that's all part of it sometimes.

Look at Dunne for City yesterday, he hasn't been great for the last couple of weeks, has made terrible mistakes. Villa as well, terrible defending at times in yesterday's game, but that doesn't make them shit, and it certainly doesn't mean they deserve the type of abuse Hawkins gets.

Elder for England

Jan 30, 2008
But he could have done what any other player would have done (though it may look shit) and kicked up the pitch, if it went for a throw in then so what, it would make his distribution look bad, but a throw in near the half way line is less dangerous than a corner (especially with Fleetwood bottling the tackle)

He had loads of time to kick it out, but he dwindled on the ball, got tackled and then they scored from the corner, which obvisouly could have been defender better by everyone else.

Dwindled on the ball? Where have I seen that many times before? Ah yes, Lynch. But he's so highly praised.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
Yes Elphick has been at fault for goals, just like Whing and Richards, but that's all part of it sometimes.

Look at Dunne for City yesterday, he hasn't been great for the last couple of weeks, has made terrible mistakes. Villa as well, terrible defending at times in yesterday's game, but that doesn't make them shit, and it certainly doesn't mean they deserve the type of abuse Hawkins gets.

Everyone is at fault for goals, thats why we have conceeded so many. Richards is one that worries me, as I thought he was quite dependable (even featured in the Argus with games won etc)

Elphick started the season badly, but has got better. Maybe he gets less stick because he fires up the crowd

As for Dunne, he is terrible, but I wouldnt know if he got stick unless it appeared on match of the day. Hawkins only got booed when he got subbed, not during the game. Titus Bramble is the mother of all dodgy defenders, but I have never heard him booed (just laughed at)

Dwindled on the ball? Where have I seen that many times before? Ah yes, Lynch.

Yes Lynch does, that was his downfall, and probably why he hasnt quite made it

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Gifted them one goal. The other one you are refering to is slightly far-fetched to say he gifted them a second. Yes he conceeded a corner, but that isn't 'personally gifting'. We should or could of defended it better.

Of course we should have defended the corner better. The concession of that corner was so stupid though, and so needless, that personally I blame Hawkins for the goal.

I'm not booing him, nor am I saying he's shit, but we DID concede the goal because of his mistake.

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
You know something is wrong with a defender when even his team mates dont want him in the side.

Elder for England

Jan 30, 2008
Everyone is at fault for goals, thats why we have conceeded so many. Richards is one that worries me, as I thought he was quite dependable (even featured in the Argus with games won etc)

Elphick started the season badly, but has got better. Maybe he gets less stick because he fires up the crowd

As for Dunne, he is terrible, but I wouldnt know if he got stick unless it appeared on match of the day. Hawkins only got booed when he got subbed, not during the game. Titus Bramble is the mother of all dodgy defenders, but I have never heard him booed (just laughed at)

Elphick started the season badly and got barely any criticism, Hawkins started fantastically and got barely any praise. Then he went through a bad spell (which I don't think he can be held accountable for) and for what seems like the majority of supporters have now turned on him.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Elphick started the season badly and got barely any criticism, Hawkins started fantastically and got barely any praise. Then he went through a bad spell (which I don't think he can be held accountable for) and for what seems like the majority of supporters have now turned on him.

Who's fault were the goals he gave away on Saturday then? Who should be held accountable for the diving header he planted so expertly in the corner? Should SULLIVAN have saved it? Was it because there were too many stewards? Its pretty hard NOT to find him accountable, tbh.

Or are you telling me he's still 'injured'?

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Dwindled on the ball? Where have I seen that many times before? Ah yes, Lynch. But he's so highly praised.

The thing is Lynch had enough ability and pace that when he dwindled on the ball and lost the ball, he often recovered it.

Donkey Derby Hawkins has neither ability or pace, so when he loses the ball it normally puts us under pressure and recently has led to goals.

He needs to be put out to pasture or transferred to the beach.

Mr Blunt

Apr 21, 2008
Brighton
Colin Hawkins biggest problem seems to be that he's not Tommy Elphick.

Watch him closely and in a lot of games he makes plenty of important headers, strong tackles and uncompromising clearances.

But if we concede, well, for the sheep it couldn't ever be in any way the fault of Elphick .. so there's only one man to vilify.

Don't get me wrong, Elphick's excellent. But he makes the odd mistake too, and his distribution is poor and yet that is entirely ignored by the boo boys.

:clap:

So true the blinkered glasses come out when Elphick makes a mistake.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate

I don't recall that, certainly on here.

As mentioned before, Hawkins (for some reason) was being praised as some sort of Bobby Moore figure, wheras Elphick was getting a SLATING for hoofing too much.

However, Elphick picked his game up, Hawkins has gone from extremely average (in my opinion) to total turd.. Elphick makes mistakes, Hawkins makes glaring goal-costing f***-ups.

Having said that, you are right in saying that perhaps Elphick gets a away with a bit more - highlighted by the fact nobody noticed him getting ROASTED before (i think) the second goal.

Kenhead

Oct 1, 2003
Brighton
Im trying to work out if EFE has got to a point where she would stand up for Hawkins even if he scored a hat-trick of own goals in a game just not to lose face.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside

That's pretty much how I see it too. Tommy Elphick is a talented young central defender & perhaps the 'young' part of that might explain why people turn a blind eye to some of his shortcomings. I don't think Hawkins has been fully fit after his surgery; & I would concede that his recent form has been pretty patchy. But why people give him the slagging they do is, in my opinion, down to their own narrow-mindedness & their insatiable need to find absolute fault with at least one player at any given time. If he went, somebody else would cop the flack.

I see one of Hawkins' biggest critics on here has recently changed his avatar to a shitty little representation of his own personal vendetta against the player. It's a shame he hasn't got the balls to tell Mr Hawkins what he thinks of him in person, but we all know that's never gonna happen. Says it all for me.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
I see one of Hawkins' biggest critics on here has recently changed his avatar to a shitty little representation of his own personal vendetta against the player. It's a shame he hasn't got the balls to tell Mr Hawkins what he thinks of him in person, but we all know that's never gonna happen. Says it all for me.

:bigwave:

What would telling Mr Hawkins what I think achieve? Don't want to knock his confidence now, do I?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here