Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Qatar 2022: Fifa taskforce says November/December is only option

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
First of all, it's not the only option. Take it away from the corrupt, bribe-ridden Qataris and move it somewhere where it can be played in the summer as usual.

Nov/Dec will be a disaster for the leagues in the UK. So how do we make up for the two months of the season which would be lost? Continue playing until the end of June? Madness.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
I would be in favour of us botcotting both of the next two world cups. In 2022 it would certainly encourage teams to sign fewer foreign players so that they had enough left to put out a team for league games during the tournament.

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
I would be in favour of us botcotting both of the next two world cups. In 2022 it would certainly encourage teams to sign fewer foreign players so that they had enough left to put out a team for league games during the tournament.

Thats a good point - the way Putin is going on, I wonder if the 2018 WC will happen as scheduled?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
What's wrong with May?

Average high - 38c
Average low - 25c

Temp between midnight and 2am temp high 20's. With no solar loading and low humidity it won't feel much hotter than a sunny afternoon in July in Brighton.

What's more a midnight kick off is 8 / 9pm in Europe?

Qatar is a crap choice but FIFA aren't backing down despite all the dirt, so a solution needs to be found.

That said, FIFA and the Premier League League is a match made in heaven. It will be an interesting fight if they stick with Nov / Dec

Yoda

English & European
So to accommodate we will have:
1. Season 2021/22 finishing May
2. Season 2022/23 (Part 1) starting August, finishing end September
3. World Cup warm up games October
4. World Cup 2022 November
5. Domestic season warm up games early December
6. Season 2022/23 (Part 2) starts Boxing Day, finishing end of June
7. Season 2023/4 starting September finishing end of May

So its a two season knock on effect with a split season, which would need to apply to both the PL and Championship. Also issue with Champions League, and given the number of games in the Europa League the 2022/3 competition would probably still be running when the 2023/4 is underway.

Still as long as Mr Blatter says everything is fine and open then it must be.

Remember, Season 2021/22 will finish at the END of May (cup finals/playoffs), and season 2022/23 will have to start in July, if not the beginning of July. So, in effect, players will be ending one season and going straight into preseason for the next.

Yoda

English & European
What's wrong with May?

Average high - 38c
Average low - 25c

Temp between midnight and 2am temp high 20's. With no solar loading and low humidity it won't feel much hotter than a sunny afternoon in July in Brighton.

What's more a midnight kick off is 8 / 9pm in Europe?

Qatar is a crap choice but FIFA aren't backing down despite all the dirt, so a solution needs to be found.

That said, FIFA and the Premier League League is a match made in heaven. It will be an interesting fight if they stick with Nov / Dec

Exactly, this is the reason why the Qatari F1 Grand Prix is held at night.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
my god does this mean the BBC will have to show the championship games on MOTD............er no I did'nt think so

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
my god does this mean the BBC will have to show the championship games on MOTD............er no I did'nt think so

No, because the Championship will be postponed as well.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Just heard David Davies on the radio suggesting a Nov / Dec WC would give English football a great opportunity to reform and have a mid-season break for good. So not only is FIFA wrecking the WC it could wreck the League programme too

Perhaps we just boycott it and be done with it

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
In addition to the dates , don't the German Leagues have a winter break throughout January...(mainly because it is bloody freezing and lots of snow at this time).

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
First of all, it's not the only option.

Yes it is. It's one supported by FIFA itself and by all the regional football associations - there is no other option on the table

A solution has been found: it's being played in November/December as the thread title says

I know that it's a crap idea - particularly for European supporters but in the Blatter scheme of things, Europe is not significant and fans aren't even on the radar. So, European fans probably have much influence with Blatter as the guy who cleans out the FIFA toilets

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Just heard David Davies on the radio suggesting a Nov / Dec WC would give English football a great opportunity to reform and have a mid-season break for good.
yeah great idea, we'll be onto 5 leagues next. (Premiership 1&2, FL 1, 2 & 3). just so we can accommodate the footballing nation of Qatar.

as an aside, im wondering how many good/promising footballers are going to be emigrating to Qatar over the next 7 years so they have a credible team?

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Yeh, rules are rules, and everybody sticks to them always, don't they? It only takes one to break ranks, though, and all hell can follow. Bring on the revolution!
I know money talks - and all the dosh for Qatar would appear to have gone to FIFA at the moment. There are other sources of money that are more important to some of the players in this game. The PL might decide it can do without FIFA.........

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The whole thing is total disaster. I wonder just how many fans will bother going? A lot of people take 1-2 weeks holiday over the Christmas / New Year period to spend time with friends and family, so for many getting time off late November / early December as well will be a non-starter. In terms of employers and jobs I wouldn't want to be losing staff in the run-up to Christmas, then they come back just as business shuts down for the festive break.

I can't get over how the Qatar bid was successful in the first place, given that it was never going to be feasible to deal with fans outdoors in blazing hot temperatures in June. Did FIFA know all along it would be a winter World Cup?

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Yes it is. It's one supported by FIFA itself and by all the regional football associations - there is no other option on the table

A solution has been found: it's being played in November/December as the thread title says

I know that it's a crap idea - particularly for European supporters but in the Blatter scheme of things, Europe is not significant and fans aren't even on the radar. So, European fans probably have much influence with Blatter as the guy who cleans out the FIFA toilets

However, with the rate at which the PL are increasing their TV revenue, it will become bigger than most countries itself before 2022 and therefore the weight they bring to bear is going to increase and increase.

From a purely financial comparison, the PL is not only the biggest league in the world, but on a rapid rise to being bigger than all the other leagues in the world put together. If this doesn't give them the clout to move the tournament then breaking away from UEFA & FIFA and forming a 'European Super League' is a real possibility and without the players who are contacted to PL teams (now, never mind in 2022), the tournament will be bereft of star names and their pulling power.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
However, with the rate at which the PL are increasing their TV revenue, it will become bigger than most countries itself before 2022 and therefore the weight they bring to bear is going to increase and increase.

From a purely financial comparison, the PL is not only the biggest league in the world, but on a rapid rise to being bigger than all the other leagues in the world put together. If this doesn't give them the clout to move the tournament then breaking away from UEFA & FIFA and forming a 'European Super League' is a real possibility and without the players who are contacted to PL teams (now, never mind in 2022), the tournament will be bereft of star names and their pulling power.

Yep, think its a gamble taking on the PL. If they are not already more powerful than FIFA they will be in a few years

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
It was a fait-accomplis as soon as the first bribe was accepted. Never going to go to war with the IOC over a clash with the Winter Olympics in Jan/Feb so shortened format with less European teams is the next "controversy"....... After all the non-European nations pay (Blatter) more :shrug:

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
The whole thing is total disaster. I wonder just how many fans will bother going? A lot of people take 1-2 weeks holiday over the Christmas / New Year period to spend time with friends and family, so for many getting time off late November / early December as well will be a non-starter. In terms of employers and jobs I wouldn't want to be losing staff in the run-up to Christmas, then they come back just as business shuts down for the festive break.

I can't get over how the Qatar bid was successful in the first place, given that it was never going to be feasible to deal with fans outdoors in blazing hot temperatures in June. Did FIFA know all along it would be a winter World Cup?

Can't see an issue, our season starts a month early and ends a month late in 8 years time. I don't have plans for then yet so will have just enough time to adapt my life slightly

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

A European super league without Barcelona, Real Madrid, PSG and Bayern Munich is not much a super league, is it?
What's it going to be, some PL clubs, Celtic, Ajax and the odd Pole and Czech team?

Last year the Champions League brought in 150 million Euros to English clubs (and that's before TV and attendance revenue). I really can't see any clubs giving up that sort of dosh - no matter now much TV money they get

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Can't see an issue, our season starts a month early and ends a month late in 8 years time. I don't have plans for then yet so will have just enough time to adapt my life slightly

Yep, perhaps we should look at the positives such as the old excuse of England players being too tired after a long gruelling season can be laid to rest one way or the other.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here