Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Qatar 2022: Fifa taskforce says November/December is only option

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Is it just me or are the World Cups in the "new" venues always a bit sh1t?

South Africa '10 and their vuvuzelas - shit, South Korea and Japan '02 - shit, whereas Argentina '78, Italia '90, France '98, Germany '06, Brazil '14 - all good.

So even if we bend over backwards to accommodate this circus chances are it will be a bit sh1t.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Yep, perhaps we should look at the positives such as the old excuse of England players being too tired after a long gruelling season can be laid to rest one way or the other.

This. Poor old Richard "we're not a charity" Scudamore. My heart bleeds for him. I would just rather it wasn't the corrupt scum at FIFA giving this greedy tosspot a bloody nose.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

South Africa '10 and their vuvuzelas - shit, South Korea and Japan '02 - shit, whereas Argentina '78, Italia '90, France '98, Germany '06, Brazil '14 - all good.

So even if we bend over backwards to accommodate this circus chances are it will be a bit sh1t.

Harsh on Japan/Korea I think, but yes, your point is otherwise well made, IMO.

I'm also looking forward to when they announce Qatar - a population of 1m who have never come close to qualifying before now - are made a seeded nation, and all the other three teams absolutely hammer them, thus making a mockery of the seeding system.

Let's be clear - this is going to be easily the shittest world cup any of us are ever likely to see. What worries me more is that it could also end up signalling the death of the international game.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I'm also looking forward to when they announce Qatar - a population of 1m who have never come close to qualifying before now - are made a seeded nation, and all the other three teams absolutely hammer them, thus making a mockery of the seeding system.

to reinforce this, the number of actual Qatai citizens is about 280k. i think thats about about twice the population of Brighton&Hove.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

To be honest Italia 90' was good for England but a poor World Cup. Look back at the videos of England quarter and semi, empty seats all over the shop.

South Africa wasn't a bad world cup, but the football was sh1t.

Korea / Japan was good, they like their football and loved England too

Can't get at all excited though about Russia or Qatar, boycott them both

Simontheseagull

Eye from the sky
Jul 11, 2010
The Amex
As a fan of a football league club, I don't see why football league games can't continue as normal. There aren't any senior England players playing in the Football League, and if players in the Football League eligible to play for other countries want to go to the World Cup, then let them. Football in this country doesn't stop when African players play in the Africa Cup of Nations. Maybe playing Football League matches during the Qatar world cup would encourage the Football League clubs to develop their own English players from their academies, and stop importing non world class foreign players. This would ensure they more easily comply with FFP and stop screwing their creditors when going bust while causing a lot of angst to their own fans when this happens.

I am rather pleased that world football isn't run by the English Premier League. The Premier League only exists to make money for the clubs in it, their players and their agents. They screw the Football League with unfair parachute payments, screw fans by allowing changes kick off times at a whim, and charge extortionate match day prices alienating people on below average wages who can't afford to attend. Even the arm chair fan doesn't win with ever increasing TV subscriptions to watch matches on TV.

Maybe this is a great opportunity for the Football League to show case itself during the Qatar world cup, and encourage people to watch their local teams in between watching world cup matches on TV.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
As a fan of a football league club, I don't see why football league games can't continue as normal. There aren't any senior England players playing in the Football League, and if players in the Football League eligible to play for other countries want to go to the World Cup, then let them. Football in this country doesn't stop when African players play in the Africa Cup of Nations. Maybe playing Football League matches during the Qatar world cup would encourage the Football League clubs to develop their own English players from their academies, and stop importing non world class foreign players. This would ensure they more easily comply with FFP and stop screwing their creditors when going bust while causing a lot of angst to their own fans when this happens.

I am rather pleased that world football isn't run by the English Premier League. The Premier League only exists to make money for the clubs in it, their players and their agents. They screw the Football League with unfair parachute payments, screw fans by allowing changes kick off times at a whim, and charge extortionate match day prices alienating people on below average wages who can't afford to attend. Even the arm chair fan doesn't win with ever increasing TV subscriptions to watch matches on TV.

Maybe this is a great opportunity for the Football League to show case itself during the Qatar world cup, and encourage people to watch their local teams in between watching world cup matches on TV.

I agree with this but would hope we are in the premier league by then too!

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I find it astounding that Scudamore and his cronies are whining about the impending disaster of having to rearrange fixtures and being given SEVEN years notice to do so, yet he expects fans to touch their toes and attend fixtures that start at 12.15 on a Saturday, midday and 4pm on a Sunday, Monday nights, and from 2015 Friday nights too.

He doesn't give a damn about their difficult/impossible travel arrangements, having to take time off work to attend these 'weekend' fixtures that now take place on a week night, and on top of that he hasn't given up with the '39th game' despite the contemptuous reaction it has generated.

Simontheseagull

Eye from the sky
Jul 11, 2010
The Amex
Football League Championship clubs currently play 46 leagues games in a season. Premier League clubs currently only play 36 league games in a season, a difference of 10 league matches. Maybe Premier League clubs could try playing more mid week Premier League matches if the meaningless Champions League group stage was abolished for a season.

Perhaps all Football League Cup Matches including the final could also be played in the 6 week period during November/December when the Qatar world cup is played. Most Premier League Clubs play squad players in the League Cup anyway. If the prize of winning the Football League Cup was just the satisfaction of playing the final at Wembley and actually winning a siver pot, with the "Europa Cup" place removed and given to the Premier Club finishing 8th in the Premier League, can't see there would be a problem.

It shouldn't be difficult to come up with some solutions to rearranging fixtures with 7 years to plan the necessary changes.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town

Let's be clear - this is going to be easily the shittest world cup any of us are ever likely to see. What worries me more is that it could also end up signalling the death of the international game.

Qatar's three opponents in the group have already been announced , Vatican City , North Korea and Pitcairn Island

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
The thing shouldn't have been awarded to Qatar in the first place, and their flagrant disregard for worker's rights out there is a disgrace. Unfortunately, not enough for the disgraced FIFA to do anything about it.

That said, they've got it, so let them stage it. Stage it in November if that's the safe thing to do. I agree with other posters, why we should stop our full league programme for the World Cup is beyond me. The Premier League can stop if they want, but the rest of us can carry on regardless. So, we may lose a player or two, but that's life. Prepare for it. As El Pres says, it's not like there isn't enough warning.

Will this be the tournament where football does finally eat itself? Is this the point where we might genuinely restructure the game. The IOC had to reach a similar point and then move on.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
Football League Championship clubs currently play 46 leagues games in a season. Premier League clubs currently only play 36 league games in a season, a difference of 10 league matches. Maybe Premier League clubs could try playing more mid week Premier League matches if the meaningless Champions League group stage was abolished for a season..

The Premier League sides play 38, not 36. 19 opponents twice is 38.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

You mean they've got seven years to give Qatari nationality to all the promising players in the U20 Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay and Colombia teams

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

Sadly FIFA make sure no other football is allowed during the world cup.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

I believe that there could be conspiracy theory potential here. For the cynics the big money in world football is Champions League and Premier League, international football just gets in the way, players get injured, there's relatively little money in it save for the bribes and junkets for delegates at lobbying and voting time.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

International football is already dead/dying, does anyone see the international break anymore than an annoyance?

If no other football is allowed, this will have serious affect on league 1/2 clubs.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I believe that there could be conspiracy theory potential here. For the cynics the big money in world football is Champions League and Premier League, international football just gets in the way, players get injured, there's relatively little money in it save for the bribes and junkets for delegates at lobbying and voting time.

If world cups/European championships got replaced with another club competition during those summers I don't think it would be
Dismissed out of hand by fans a fair number of fans.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here