Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Qatar 2022: Fifa taskforce says November/December is only option

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
Play it when it was originally supposed to be played BUT with air conditioned stadia - after all there's enough sun there to power solar powered air conditioning.
I don't think there's any way that we should have a three month break in our national leagues - it's far too disruptive
Mind you by then will any of us be able to afford to go to football ? ???

Playing with air conditioned stadiums is difficult but possibly achievable. What about the entire rest of the time? Teams at training sessions, fans queueing to get into stadiums or just generally being out and about? While people obviously survive in Qatar during the summer now, a large bulk of probably drunk football fans is a different matter.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Hi, I'd like to host a World Cup please.

I don't have any stadiums, any fans, any morals, any human rights considerations or the first clue about football, but I DO have a **** ton of money and errr... well yeah a **** ton of money.

btw, can we play in winter, I forgot it's well hot here in July. LOLZ!

Qatar x

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I really, really wish Germany, Spain, France, Holland, ourselves etc just walked away from these clowns and set up our own world cup competition - A competition with fairness, rules, democracy and transparency. It's never going to happen though,

Isn't what you are proposing called the European Championships?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The big European countries should just boycott it and hold a euro 2022 in the summer and invite some other countries not in the World Cup to participate
Indeed. And what about the 2018 WC - are we really going to play it in Russia? Or will it be like the 1936 Olympics?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
As I said, there'll be no European boycott

"A statement from Uefa, European football's governing body.

"Uefa supports the recommendation made by the FIFA Task Force for the international match calendar 2018-24 to stage the 2022 FIFA World Cup in Qatar from late November to late December 2022.
"Uefa believes that - for the benefits of players and fans - the event should be played in winter and now awaits the final decision from the FIFA Executive Committee meeting on 18/19 March 2015.
"Uefa sees no major issues in rescheduling its competitions for the 2022-23 season, should the 2022 FIFA World Cup proposal be approved by the FIFA Executive Committee, and UEFA acknowledges that the competition may be shortened and thus that the release period of players be reduced.""

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I don't for one moment think it will go ahead but supposing it does and we don't even qualify. Every league disrupted for that year and the years around it and all for nothing.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I believe that FIFA regulations state that all players must be released for competitive international matches. Blimey, Fergie moaned enough about releasing players for any international if anything would have allowed him to keep them back, he'd have done it
The clubs could still do it. What powers would FIFA have if Man. Utd, Man City, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool, Real Madrid, Barca, PSG, Inter Milan and Bayern all just went ahead and did it? What could they really do? They would be snookered.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The clubs could still do it. What powers would FIFA have if Man. Utd, Man City, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool, Real Madrid, Barca, PSG, Inter Milan and Bayern all just went ahead and did it? What could they really do? They would be snookered.

They would be barred from the Champions League. I can't see any club wanting to give up the wealth that comes from that competition

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
They would be barred from the Champions League. I can't see any club wanting to give up the wealth that comes from that competition
Champions League is UEFA, not FIFA. And UEFA wouldn't want all those clubs missing from their championship.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Champions League is UEFA, not FIFA. And UEFA wouldn't want all those clubs missing from their championship.

As posted earlier

As I said, there'll be no European boycott

"A statement from Uefa, European football's governing body.

"Uefa supports the recommendation made by the FIFA Task Force for the international match calendar 2018-24 to stage the 2022 FIFA World Cup in Qatar from late November to late December 2022.
"Uefa believes that - for the benefits of players and fans - the event should be played in winter and now awaits the final decision from the FIFA Executive Committee meeting on 18/19 March 2015.
"Uefa sees no major issues in rescheduling its competitions for the 2022-23 season, should the 2022 FIFA World Cup proposal be approved by the FIFA Executive Committee, and UEFA acknowledges that the competition may be shortened and thus that the release period of players be reduced.""

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
As posted earlier
That is their attitude now. No reason it can't change, and might well do so if they saw their flagship competition going down the pan.
I know what the rules say. Many major changes in history have been brought about by breaking the laws. Not saying it will happen, but it could. It would be foolish to ignore the power - especially the financial clout - of the major clubs, if they set their mind to it.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
That is their attitude now. No reason it can't change, and might well do so if they saw their flagship competition going down the pan.
I know what the rules say. Many major changes in history have been brought about by breaking the laws. Not saying it will happen, but it could. It would be foolish to ignore the power - especially the financial clout - of the major clubs, if they set their mind to it.

But of the major clubs, PSG is Qatari owned and Barcelona is sponsored by the Qatar foundation; they'll certainly not join a boycott. If Barcelona is going to play, you can bet your life Real Madrid will too. Bayern Munich's president Franz Beckenbauer is closely associated with the Qatar bid; Man City are owned by an Emirates family: I can't see them joining a boycott either. So, the list of major clubs is already looking rocky. I really can't see the other European clubs giving a chance to earn that money: would Atletico boycott a tournament that is going to reward their rivals so well? Would Chelsea do it?

You have a touching faith in the purity of football over money. Me, I reckon the clubs will plump for money every time

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
You have a touching faith in the purity of football over money. Me, I reckon the clubs will plump for money every time

good points about the clubs unlikley to support a boycott. on the money front though, what does having a 2 month gap mid season do for their other sources of money? i don't know, but it must have some impact, though they can of course plan well in advance.

and it is two months once you have a few weeks pre-tournement for teams to get together. leagues will break up on the last week of October and kick off again week after Xmas. the group stages for Champions league will be stuffed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here