Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Qatar 2022: Fifa taskforce says November/December is only option

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
It's time to have principles how many workers been abused and died building these stadiums also how can we play in Russia when our goverment is pushing for more financial sanctions it's time to stand up and be counted. I love watching Brighton and England but not at any cost to human life. Would we lose out if we didn't play in these competitions ?

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
For all the talk about boycotts we know it's not going to happen. Apart from Europe, the US and Australia, the world is firmly behind Blatter (and even Europe is not wholly against Qatar). FIFA will get heavy about banning football associations if they don't toe the line and all countries will participate. That's been obvious for a number of years.

I imagine that in England. PL clubs would be exempted from the League Cup that season and, possibly, do away with FA Cup replays. There could be the possibility of PL clubs joining the FA Cup at the 4th round. It won't be a great season but there's not much England can do on its own

I think you might be VERY wrong Gwylan - the cracks are already beginning to show and once they start widening the ceiling's going to fall in on FIFA.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Qatar are happy for the tournament to take place in June, it's FIFA who are forcing the move.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
It's time to have principles how many workers been abused and died building these stadiums also how can we play in Russia when our goverment is pushing for more financial sanctions it's time to stand up and be counted. I love watching Brighton and England but not at any cost to human life. Would we lose out if we didn't play in these competitions ?

We don't tend to play in them for very long

Dec 15, 2014
Here
Would we lose out if we didn't play in these competitions ?

Yes, the greatest gift given on earth. National pride. The footballers want to play. The fans want to cheer for the national team. Otherwise everyone loses. Fix the issues with workers and stadiums by the means established.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I don't even think England and Germany together would have enough clout.

But i suspect that England and Germany acting together would have enough clout to get the ball rolling. If one of those other European teams joined them, then it would get interesting.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
I really, really wish Germany, Spain, France, Holland, ourselves etc just walked away from these clowns and set up our own world cup competition - A competition with fairness, rules, democracy and transparency. It's never going to happen though,

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
All current players contracts will be finished by 2022 (I should think). Any new contracts that are awarded by the clubs up to and including 2022 should contain a clause not releasing the player for the Qatar world cup (you could possibly justify this on safety grounds too). England should not enter, and many other countries, due to their players being contracted to Prem. clubs will not be able to field their best teams either. If clubs in Germany, Italy and Spain follow suit, then the world cup will be effectively wrecked.
The national FAs will have committed no offence that FIFA could ban them for (it will be the clubs that have done it).
The players will go along with it ("Do you want a three year contract at £80K a week, or do you want to go to the world cup in 40 degree heat?" should make up their minds for them).

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
All current players contracts will be finished by 2022 (I should think). Any new contracts that are awarded by the clubs up to and including 2022 should contain a clause not releasing the player for the Qatar world cup (you could possibly justify this on safety grounds too). England should not enter, and many other countries, due to their players being contracted to Prem. clubs will not be able to field their best teams either. If clubs in Germany, Italy and Spain follow suit, then the world cup will be effectively wrecked.
The national FAs will have committed no offence that FIFA could ban them for (it will be the clubs that have done it).
The players will go along with it ("Do you want a three year contract at £80K a week, or do you want to go to the world cup in 40 degree heat?" should make up their minds for them).

I believe that FIFA regulations state that all players must be released for competitive international matches. Blimey, Fergie moaned enough about releasing players for any international if anything would have allowed him to keep them back, he'd have done it

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I believe that FIFA regulations state that all players must be released for competitive international matches. Blimey, Fergie moaned enough about releasing players for any international if anything would have allowed him to keep them back, he'd have done it
Being picky, I think this applies only on FIFA designated dates but obviously for the World Cup your point very much stands.

To be honest, this whole subject depresses me. I just think it will happen, it will be a totally shithouse world cup and large chunks of football fans the world over will be incredibly apathetic. The only people who can make a difference are the players themselves. If they collectively show the apathy towards playing that so many fans are feeling about this tournament, then the tournament itself will be massively devalued and that will hit FIFA in the pocket - no sponsor or television company is going to pay top dollar to fund a tournament featuring third string European national team players.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
5-Live were saying this morning that the proposed date for the World Cup to commence is apparently November 26th - with the World Cup Final taking place on December 23rd.

In which case, I reckon season 2022-23 will be split in half, maybe playing from July though till the end of October, and then starting up again in January, playing through till the end of May. Not ideal, but do-able.

The Fifth Column

Lazy mug
Nov 30, 2010
Hangleton
I
For all the difference it will make I'll have nothing to do with this world cup which has no legitimacy at all.

Absolutely my stance too, I will not watch it or support it in any way, shape or form. And for what its worth, whoever the sponsors are I will be boycotting all their products and services. Doing anything else will make me feel complicit in FIFAs corruption.

Still, at least the independent review of when to hold the 2022 tournament was chaired by someone trustworthy and from a country with no connection to the area and with an impeccable record of human rights and justice.........Crown Prince Sheikh Salman bin Ebrahim Al-Khalifa of Bahrain :nono: :facepalm:

FIFAs total corporate arrogance, led by Blatter - one of the most vile and morally corrupt excuses for a human being, is staggering. North Korea and Russia could learn some tips from Blatter and his putrid verminous colleagues.

Last edited:

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
I can only liken my hatred, and it is pure hatred, for FIFA to being back at school - s*it authority and wan*ers in charge.
I hope they get what's coming to them.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
Play it when it was originally supposed to be played BUT with air conditioned stadia - after all there's enough sun there to power solar powered air conditioning.
I don't think there's any way that we should have a three month break in our national leagues - it's far too disruptive
Mind you by then will any of us be able to afford to go to football ? ???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here