Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pubs you miss?

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
lol.in a word yes unless your a local,brittania was also a swiss restaurant wasnt it??

Lancing pubs have a rep,but im sure its like that in most places,ie my thread earlier about the maytree,great pub,but could kickoff bad

Talking of the Maytree, that was feisty at times,.. I spent about a year drinking in there almost every Friday and Saturday night pre-clubbing in Brighton,... we had a nice tasty group from Stapley Rd area, amongst them Mr Peter Eubank, quite a 'face' in those days, we felt so important with him in our little posse,.. good times.

Who is Scriney?

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
The Wheatsheaf in London Bridge

As others have pointed out, the Wheatsheaf has just moved round the corner and the new one is way better than the old one (twice as many real ales on, for starters).

It seems to be more music venues than pubs that close in Brighton (RIP the Freebutt, Gloucester/Barfly, Richmond/Pressure Point, Providence, etc), the one place I did really miss was the Quadrant. OK, it eventually reopened - albeit as part of the evil Zelgrain/drinkinbrighton empire - but it's just not the same. Mind you it wouldn't be as I still have half the original pub (bar stools, clocks, etc) in my living room. I liked the place so much I bought them off the landlord when it closed.

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
shit hole???all depends on your era,but the thread was pubs you miss???not the best pub,and that was my local for years,untill it got knocked down,so yes i miss it:wink:

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
discos in there were mental on a friday night,do you remember the mays running it?
Was that Alan May and his family? I'm sure he used to run that. Prior to that he used to live up Halewick Lane in Sompting. Massive Albion fan who used to go to all the games home and away, in fact it was him that got me into the habit of going to all the away games back in the 70s.

lol.in a word yes unless your a local,brittania was also a swiss restaurant wasnt it??

Lancing pubs have a rep,but im sure its like that in most places,ie my thread earlier about the maytree,great pub,but could kickoff bad
Used to use the Brit a lot in the old days when Fred and Mary where the landlords. Don't ever remember it being a Swiss resturant though. When I was there Lancing was never that bad - except when the pikeys would come in looking for a fight, then it could get a bit tasty. I lived in Lancing between 1966 and 1990 and probably only got involved in about a dozen or so pub fights.

hola gus

Aug 8, 2010
Do behave. That was a shit-hole of the highest order:eek:

Did you get a kick in there once jimbo? :laugh: Maytree was brillian if you was an insider, not pretty, not hospitable, and not somewhere you take the family!, but if you was local and known you were properly looked after. Was drinking in there from the age of 14. Would have been even better if empire ever bought a beer :p

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
Two in the Sussex Countryside for me:-

1) The Anglers Rest next to the Old Station at Barcombe Mills. We used to stay at a self catering place just up the road and nip down there with my two young sons who played in the Garden whilst I got outside some Harveys. They used to do carry outs too. Now converted into a private house with the old metal fitting for the sign still hanging out as a sad reminder. And they've made a right pigs ear of the conversion too.

2) The Potters Arms on the Dicker, just past the Boship Roundabout going towards Golden Cross, on the left. A classic old Farm Labourers boozer which shut approx 1976. Run by an old lady who not only kept the barrels behind the bar (no handpumps); but also her pigs! After it shut it morphed into the Pewter Pot, which has also now shut; but I think also morphed again into a cafe.

desprateseagull

Jul 20, 2003
brighton, actually
may well still be going, but the Cobden Arms (off Elm Grove) holds fond memories for me.. my first ever legal pint of beer (cider, actually) was supped there.

think 'queen vic lite', with some wannabe grant mitchells, pat butchers, and the like. was on darts team for a while, maybe cos i was the only one sober long enough to keep score..

simonsimon

Dec 31, 2004
The Abinger very 70s full of Iranians looking like Jason King.
Quoted by Greyrun

My Grandmother worked there in the 1960s

Last edited:

simonsimon

Dec 31, 2004
Any one from Worthing remember The Fountain in Worthing when it was run by Mad Axeman Pete Richardson?

Greyrun

Feb 23, 2009
Where was the Abinger. I use to go in there but I can't remember for the life of me where it was.

Just west of Preston Street i think there is a hotel there now,used to wander along from the town centre in order to grab some fresh air and sober up a little.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here