Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pubs you miss?

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Hole in the Wall in Seaford

Well it's still open as a coffee-hole, could be retroverted I guess.

But the the potential loss of the Beachcomber, that's a different issue entirely. Would be DISASTROUS if Brumwell got his way after running the pub down for years, and then coining it from McCarthy and Headstone.

Seaford has it's own Falmer Stadium issue, only having the Salts rugby pitch overlooked by a load of "Frail and elderly" won't exactly bring in the crowds to the town.

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
Well it's still open as a coffee-hole, could be retroverted I guess.

But the the potential loss of the Beachcomber, that's a different issue entirely. Would be DISASTROUS if Brumwell got his way after running the pub down for years, and then coining it from McCarthy and Headstone.

Seaford has it's own Falmer Stadium issue, only having the Salts rugby pitch overlooked by a load of "Frail and elderly" won't exactly bring in the crowds to the town.

Hmmm. I'm more of a get rid off it rather than let people keep trying to rescue it. It's been a crap pub for 30 years.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
One good thing that comes out this thread is it shows how few Brighton pubs have closed down, compared to whats happening up and down the country.

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
Me too.This pub rocked.Worked there when Scriney owned it.Had a bottle and jug,saloon,private and public bar.I was made to take proper toilet rolls out of the public bar bogs because,according to the landlord,his customers stole them.The bar billiards table was a killer,what with the odd angles built into it and all.And you could come out of the pub and go straight to the chippy,Sadlers,I believe.

Point of order; the pub was in West Hove,a good 300 yards from Portslade.

Sad to see the horrid little houses built on a site where three generations of wombats went to drink.

discos in there were mental on a friday night,do you remember the mays running it?

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
do you remember the golds family,the pooles,masseys bernie etc

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
One good thing that comes out this thread is it shows how few Brighton pubs have closed down, compared to whats happening up and down the country.

The Argus had a feature a few weeks ago about the number of pubs that had closed down in Brighton. Closer inspection revealed that some of them had closed down before the war. I can only think of about a dozen pubs that have closed in the last 30 years (not counting those that have closed but replaced by another pub on the same site).

My mother-in-law (who lives in Bermondsey) has remarked on the number of "proper" pubs in Brighton.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
The Brittania in Lancing,... they turned it into a Harvester shit-eatery..... it was not plush, but it was one of the few pubs in Lancing you could have a reasonable drink in without getting your head kicked in,..... unlike the Crabtree, Merry Monk, Three Horseshoes and Farmers...

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
The Brittania in Lancing,... they turned it into a Harvester shit-eatery..... it was not plush, but it was one of the few pubs in Lancing you could have a reasonable drink in without getting your head kicked in,..... unlike the Crabtree, Merry Monk, Three Horseshoes and Farmers...

Is Lancing that bad?

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Is Lancing that bad?

80's and 90's was a bit like a war zone, still bad, not quite as bad,... but still feisty whenever I pop back, which is about 6 or 7 times a year.

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
Is Lancing that bad?

lol.in a word yes unless your a local,brittania was also a swiss restaurant wasnt it??

Lancing pubs have a rep,but im sure its like that in most places,ie my thread earlier about the maytree,great pub,but could kickoff bad

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here