Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pubs you miss?

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
downstairs bar at the Park View opposite the bus stop. A Varndean VI Form haunt in late 80s

So.CalGull

Sep 28, 2010
Orange County. California.
Hmmm. I'm more of a get rid off it rather than let people keep trying to rescue it. It's been a crap pub for 30 years.

To be fair, the live music on a Thursday night used to be worth going for a busy atmosphere. Always, standing room only and loud.

Although I do agree that the place has gone down hill, anyone that lets Meatloaf's "Bat out of Hell" play so frequently on a jukebox deserves punishment.

If I remember correctly, the previous owner Peter somebody, did all the work, and Brumwell has let the place fall apart at the seams, while building quite a business/property empire.

That said, many a lock-in playing spoof for shots of "Polish Spirit" were enjoyed during the late 80's early 90's.

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
Did you get a kick in there once jimbo? :laugh: Maytree was brillian if you was an insider, not pretty, not hospitable, and not somewhere you take the family!, but if you was local and known you were properly looked after. Was drinking in there from the age of 14. Would have been even better if empire ever bought a beer :p

oi oi larry lightweight

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
The Race Hill, good place for meeting.

After years of 'renovation' I believe it's soon to open as a surgery.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
The Race Hill, good place for meeting.

After years of 'renovation' I believe it's soon to open as a surgery.

oh come on freddie no one really liked the race hill even when it was open. now i hate pubs going, but it was a f***ing hole ;-)

its funny how a crawl top to bottom of elm grove was very different from doing it islingword road or southover street, considering they were only a few streets in.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
You make a good point. maybe it was because we were all youngsters and could get served there. It was a useful meeting point for a Coldean lad like me to meet mates from 'scoomb bevendean and other estates off the Lewes Road. Plus, in mitigation, I was too young to know a decent beer so it's really just the memory of some of the lads I used to know and some who are no longer here.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
You make a good point. maybe it was because we were all youngsters and could get served there. It was a useful meeting point for a Coldean lad like me to meet mates from 'scoomb bevendean and other estates off the Lewes Road. Plus, in mitigation, I was too young to know a decent beer so it's really just the memory of some of the lads I used to know and some who are no longer here.

i am a bit younger than you freddie by a couple of ice ages ;-) but it was always the same. we would work our way down from the hartington via the wellie and then set off from there. i hate seeing it like it is now when i am back.

Last edited:

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton
The Litten tree and the Inn on the prom in Worthing.

Both used to have excellent atmospheres and good local bands.

Worthing is pretty shit now and The Elms is about the best place for music now.

wigman

Oct 10, 2006
East Preston
The Litten tree and the Inn on the prom in Worthing.

Both used to have excellent atmospheres and good local bands.

Worthing is pretty shit now and The Elms is about the best place for music now.

Inn on the Prom,great music and the toilets were something else.

PS you are right about Worthing though,the last few years has seen a drastic decline.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Inn on the Prom,great music and the toilets were something else.

PS you are right about Worthing though,the last few years has seen a drastic decline.

Not a great pub, or a famous one, but I miss the Wigmore.

Also, what was the one in Chapel rd, that looks like the prow of a sailing ship, that was a building society and now a West Cornwall Pastie shop... was it the Norfolk?

Chapmans has never been the same since it became the Royal Victorian hotel either.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Not a great pub, or a famous one, but I miss the Wigmore.

Also, what was the one in Chapel rd, that looks like the prow of a sailing ship, that was a building society and now a West Cornwall Pastie shop... was it the Norfolk?

That was The Ship a mate of mine then Nicky Hallams dad ran it in the late 50s early 60s.

The Norfolk was on the corner of Newlands Rd and Chapel Road opposite what is now Morrisons and The Castle. Had a coach park next to it. It is now shops with flats above just been built by Adenstar.

borowha

Dec 19, 2008
Horse and Groom,used to be at the top of St James street opposite Attlingworth Street, Don and Rita used to run it in the seventies.Used to be full of Brighton "knocker boys".I believe that Don went on to manage a pub down by the bus station----good days.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here