Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

PS3 or x-box?

SamSeagull

Mar 10, 2008
going to buy one of them soon, what do people think is the better of the two? and best places to buy them from?

mattb

Mar 18, 2008
Get a PS3, they are better. I own a 360 and am very happy with it, but I'd be silly to say it's better than a PS3.

Not sure on where to buy from but I assume you can't go far wrong with Amazon.

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
Considering you can get a 360 for HALF the price of a PS3 I'd have to go with that one. The PS3 is newer and looks smarter but I don't think there's a massive difference in their capabilities and there are hundreds more games for the 360 as well as its having the superior media capabilities (streaming from your computer and the like)

I'd like a PS3, but not until they get more sensible on the pricing

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
Get a PS3, they are better. I own a 360 and am very happy with it, but I'd be silly to say it's better than a PS3.

Not sure on where to buy from but I assume you can't go far wrong with Amazon.

Try to get hold of the 60-gig version if possible. More memory and backwards compatibility. Hard to get hold of, unfortunately.

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
Get a PS3 - of course the Xbox has got more games at the moment, but then again, its been out for longer. But the technology in the Playstation has always killed its rivals, and over time, I'm sure this will be the case again.

The xbox is still pretty damn good, although I can't get to grips with its retarded controllers...

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
Get a PS3 - of course the Xbox has got more games at the moment, but then again, its been out for longer. But the technology in the Playstation has always killed its rivals, and over time, I'm sure this will be the case again.

Don't be so sure, the XBox is backed by Microsoft, who are quite wealthy.

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
Don't be so sure, the XBox is backed by Microsoft, who are quite wealthy.

It didn't stop the PS2 pissing over the original X-Box. With the blue-ray player I would have to stay get a PS3

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Is the PS3 REALLY worth £70-£100 more than a 360? I don't think so.

Xbox 360:thumbsup:

Pettitt303

Registered Drug Abuser
Oct 28, 2006
East, East, East Sussex
had the same decision a few months back and chose a cheap 40gb PS3...don't regret it at all mate
go for the ps3..graphichs are CLASS and ebay is your best option...40gb is cheaper

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
PS3 = Blue Ray

Which lead us to a conversation along the lines of :-

The way tech is moving on, in 10 years time this, PS3, will either be in a kids bedroom or at a car-boot, so what the hell is going to replace it, Star Trek 'hollow deck'

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
PS3 = Blue Ray

Which lead us to a conversation along the lines of :-

The way tech is moving on, in 10 years time this, PS3, will either be in a kids bedroom or at a car-boot, so what the hell is going to replace it, Star Trek 'hollow deck'

As neat as Blu-Ray is, it's just a high format DVD - no giant technologcial leap.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

for that extra £100 you get a Blu-Ray player and a home computer if you drop Linux on. You might not want either but nice to have the choice isnt it? i beleive the online facilities are pay for on the xbox verse free for the ps3 too.

its like comparing an Amiga/ST with a Sega Megadrive. sure the Sega was cheaper and had more games, but all the really good games were available on both and you could do so much more with the Amiga - how many of todays programmers and graphic artists making todays games learnt by coding on the Amiga/ST or using DeluxPaint. Sony will wake up to this in the next year or two and start promoting its home computer advantages, an area MS backed Xbox cant compete in.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
As neat as Blu-Ray is, it's just a high format DVD - no giant technologcial leap.

Fair comment, but would you have said that 3 years ago.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country

Xbox 360:thumbsup:

Well for your money you're getting a piece of hardware that is 2 years (I think) newer. Its a bit like comparing your brand new PC with that of your mates that is 2 years old. Is that worth the extra? Personal choice I guess but I know which I'd go for (I have neither by the way).

Also as someone else said you get a Blueray player included. I don't know what the going rate is for Blueray players but just taking a quick look at Richer Sounds the cheapest standalone player they sell is £200.

Also as another person said the online play is free with the PS3 whereas you have to pay a monthly subscription for Xbox live. An Xbox and a years live subscription and you've probably spent the same as if you'd bought a PS3.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
Nah...

Buy a 360 NOW as it has a far superior games library at the mo, and is brilliant online (in terms of multiplayer, demos, and original content).

THEN buy a PS3 in 18 months or so when, presumably, Sony will have caught up.

And you'll have BOTH consoles for same price as a PS3 costs right now.

Sorted. :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here