Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

PS3 or x-box?

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
An ethernet cable, yes. One of those coloured cables that goes from a router to a pc/laptop just goes in the back of the PS3. Hopefully the PS3 is smart enough to do all the internet settings on its own so you should be ready to go.
Enjoy :thumbsup:

Unless you've a wireless internet set up in your home anyways, in which case the PS3 will pick up the signal from that (as mine does).

Mr deez

Masterchef
Jan 13, 2005
If you are that way inclined, it also costs essentially nothing to flash a 360 drive to play backups, including online without being banned.

PS3 is yet to be hacked, as far as i know.

This could represent a MASSIVE saving....

Incidentally, on most games released on both platforms, the graphics are actually better on 360 as it is the lead platform - i.e. specifically programmed for 360 as that's where most sales come from at the mo.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
An ethernet cable, yes. One of those coloured cables that goes from a router to a pc/laptop just goes in the back of the PS3. Hopefully the PS3 is smart enough to do all the internet settings on its own so you should be ready to go.
Enjoy :thumbsup:

Any recommendation for where's the best place to get one???

Sorry for all the questions but I really am a :dunce: when it comes to things like this :)

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Any recommendation for where's the best place to get one???

Sorry for all the questions but I really am a :dunce: when it comes to things like this :)

If you want computer cables go to Ebuyer. Dirt cheap.

Jello

He's Not A Jelly Belly
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
I've just got a new HD tele and will buy the PS3 for its Bluray player. On the AV forums it's a highly rated player plus the you get a great games console.

Been looking for a decent package that doesn't include GTA as I've got that on xbox.

Conkers

Jan 11, 2006
Haywards Heath
Why is that?

I've had personal experience of playing with a Xbox 360 wireless adapter (nothing wrong with the router as COD4 on the pc wirelessly is fine) but every now again it judders. Hard to explain, like the adapter isn't sending or receiving the data properly which results in lag, very annoying when sniping on COD4 but not so much of a problem on other games. At least with an ethernet cable you know that the only reason you are going to get lag is because of a crap internet or something wrong with xbox live/game servers.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
I've had personal experience of playing with a Xbox 360 wireless adapter (nothing wrong with the router as COD4 on the pc wirelessly is fine) but every now again it judders. Hard to explain, like the adapter isn't sending or receiving the data properly which results in lag, very annoying when sniping on COD4 but not so much of a problem on other games. At least with an ethernet cable you know that the only reason you are going to get lag is because of a crap internet or something wrong with xbox live/game servers.

So you drape WIRES all over the house so you can have your precious wired connection:angry::angry::angry:

Conkers

Jan 11, 2006
Haywards Heath

seagullsss

Lofts Number 1 Fan!
Jan 1, 2008
going to buy one of them soon, what do people think is the better of the two? and best places to buy them from?

well basically the ps3 is better it has free online play, better graphics and in my opinion better controllers but i have a ps3 and lately not many good games are coming out. but it all depends on how much you want to spend really

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country

Ahhhh right. Well I can't speak for the shoddy wireless adapter used for the Xbox but personally I'd always go wireless where possible. PC, console, streaming music. It's all good :)

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
There may not be many games which show off the PS3's better graphics capabilities at the moment but it does have a lot more potential than has currently been shown.

I must admit I thought that with the difference in price and selection of games I was ready to go for a 360 again however my housemate recently bought a PS3 and the thing is absolutely amazing. It pisses all over the 360 in terms of looks and sound (360's always sound like they're about to explode at any minute and you always have to turn the TV volume up to compensate whereas the PS3 is practically silent). Plus its online capabilities and media streaming are superb. Not forgetting that you can simply plug in and be wirelessly connected within minutes whereas you'll need to spend more for an ugly adapter if you want your 360 connected to a wi-fi network.

I had a really negative impression of the PS3 before actually seeing one probably because of the high price and the bad press but the thing is a work of art and once there are a few more games available ownership will be essential.

Conkers

Jan 11, 2006
Haywards Heath
and once there are a few more games available ownership will be essential.

That's the main stumbling block for many people though, not the fact that it's £100 more than a 360 but come this time next year, there is still only going to be about 2 or 3 games worth buying the PS3 for that is worth playing or that the 360 hasn't got too.
I saw a PS3 is Zavvi and laughed, the number of times PS2 fans (I was once one myself) laughed at how large the Xbox 1 was, and now 360 fans can do the same. It's like a bloomin' breeze block :lolol:

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Sorry to keep dragging this thread up, but I've been told by someone at work that he thinks I can get a card for my PC which will be able to send a wireless signal to my ps3. Is this the case and if so what card would I need?

Thanks in advance :)

Jello

He's Not A Jelly Belly
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Ordered PS3 from Play for £275 using discount code I found on a AV forum, it's currently being packed :thumbsup:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Bought an Xbox 360 for my son's birthday, compared to our Wii it is enormous, the plug adaptor weights more than the Wii itself. It makes a racket whenever switched on.

Having seen him play GTAIV I think the game is overhyped to the n th degree. Most of the missions are variations on a theme collect/shoot etc. The AI is pretty crap, you can beat someone up and no one bats an eyelid, they just seem to stand in a queue waiting for the same thing to happen to them. The colours are dull, the only thing I like about it is the music.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Xbox hands down.You can't beat this consol for online gamming except you have to pay for that service where as ps3 you don't.Better variety of games also and cheaper

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Bought an Xbox 360 for my son's birthday, compared to our Wii it is enormous, the plug adaptor weights more than the Wii itself. It makes a racket whenever switched on.

Having seen him play GTAIV I think the game is overhyped to the n th degree. Most of the missions are variations on a theme collect/shoot etc. The AI is pretty crap, you can beat someone up and no one bats an eyelid, they just seem to stand in a queue waiting for the same thing to happen to them. The colours are dull, the only thing I like about it is the music.

Why are you buying 18 games for someone underage? RESPONSIBILTY

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
xbox by a country MILE.

ps3 is more expensive.

it JUMPS far more

it breaks more(3 friends have all experienced problems with their ones)

has no games on it exclusively that the xbox dosent(well not that i care of).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here