Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

PS3 or x-box?

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Can a blu ray machine play traditional DVD's? The one think that pisses me off about the PS3 is that Sony have stopped making the full spec model, and are now passing off a dumbed down version, which I have heard is not backwards compatible, and has other features missing and a smaller hard drive, is this true?

I understand that there is more than one version of the Xbox, is one better than the other?

The 40gB PS3 doesn't have slots for all the different memory cards (SD/MS/CF) like the 60gB one. It is also not BC as it doesn't contain the two PS2 chips (the EE and the GS) that allow the earlier models to play PS2 games. Personally the lack of BC wouldn't bother me, I have never played one GameCube game on my Wii, or PS1 game on my PS2 or GBA game on my DS.

barney

Jul 31, 2006
why would anyone want backwards compatibility?! no point having an hd console with hd telly then playing fifa f***ing 95 on it. get a bloody ps3 and fifa 08 which is far superior on the ps3 than the xbox.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
fifa 08 which is far superior on the ps3 than the xbox.

I don't think anyone doubts the PS3 is better than the oringial Xbox:lolol::p

Conkers

Jan 11, 2006
Haywards Heath
why would anyone want backwards compatibility?! no point having an hd console with hd telly then playing fifa f***ing 95 on it. get a bloody ps3 and fifa 08 which is far superior on the ps3 than the xbox.

So you can carry on playing some of the best video games ever made: The Final Fantasy Series (VII & VIII) without having multiple playstations in setup in your lounge. :thumbsup:

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
So I have a PS2, a Wii, 2 PCs, An Xbox 360 and my company are buying me the PS3 GTA IV Combo Pack as my 10th Anniversary present !

Kewl !!!!!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
So I have a PS2, a Wii, 2 PCs, An Xbox 360 and my company are buying me the PS3 GTA IV Combo Pack as my 10th Anniversary present !

Kewl !!!!!

Either that, or they have you pegged as being a bit of a geek.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
I am on the verge of splashing the cash on one of these consoles. The main reason being GTA4. Would prefer a PS3, but am a bit hesitant to pay the extra £100. How long do people think it'll be before Sony slash the PS3 price??

I haven't got an HD TV yet either, will this really ruin the games, or not make a huge difference? I've only played GTA4 on a PS3 HD TV, which looked brilliant, but I'm worried I'm going to be really disappointed by it on my normal TV.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I haven't got an HD TV yet either, will this really ruin the games, or not make a huge difference? I've only played GTA4 on a PS3 HD TV, which looked brilliant,

I don't have an HD-TV, and I still find the graphics on PS3 games (GTAIV very much included) very impressive on my standard TV, so I don't think that should be a problem for you.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Is my Sinclair out of date then?

Conkers

Jan 11, 2006
Haywards Heath
HDTVs make games look a bit better but most people tend to think the difference will be huge. Games on both the PS3 and 360 still look pretty decent on normal tv's, it's just HDs make them look a bit sharper (in my opinion).

Conkers

Jan 11, 2006
Haywards Heath

Conkers

Jan 11, 2006
Haywards Heath
Consoles please!

If there is going to be a price drop, it will almost certainly be for the PS3. The 360 only recently had quite a hefty price drop so IF microsoft were to slash the price again it won't be until around Christmas at the earliest.
No idea with the PS3 however, they may well do some sort of deal when GT5 or Metal Gear Solid 4 comes out but then again I could be COMPLETELY wrong :lolol:

Haydn-4

May 4, 2008
The Lab.
PS3 Is So Much Better, it maybe 70- 100 pounds more, but with xbox you have to buy most of the other accessories, for example the wireless adaptor PS3: Built-in Xbox 360: £60. Also the future of modern gaming is online, PS3 it's free, Xbox £40 a year. The PS3 technology is so much better. The Graphics on the PS3 are a little better, but they are better.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
I wouldn't be surprised if Sony slashed the prices before Christmas, they are a wee bit over priced at the moment in my opinion.

Conkers

Jan 11, 2006
Haywards Heath
PS3 Is So Much Better, it maybe 70- 100 pounds more, but with xbox you have to buy most of the other accessories, for example the wireless adaptor PS3: Built-in Xbox 360: £60. Also the future of modern gaming is online, PS3 it's free, Xbox £40 a year. The PS3 technology is so much better. The Graphics on the PS3 are a little better, but they are better.

You make a good point, but i'm sure the majority of Xbox Live users were laughing when the Sony online service was completely buggered for nearly a week after the launch of GTA IV.
Plus if you are going to play online, I really wouldn't want to play with a wireless adapter (regardless of console).
That being said, I may have to purchase a PS3 if they come down in price somewhat, quite looking forward to some 24 hour endurance races on GT5, just like the good old days :thumbsup:

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Bought a PS3 GTA4 Bundle from Game for £319.99. Also got Tiger Woods 08 :thumbsup:

Being a bit of a Timmy I'm a bit confused by the whole online gaming thing. Do I need to stick a phone line in the back of the ps3, much like the PC? :dunce:

Conkers

Jan 11, 2006
Haywards Heath
Bought a PS3 GTA4 Bundle from Game for £319.99. Also got Tiger Woods 08 :thumbsup:

Being a bit of a Timmy I'm a bit confused by the whole online gaming thing. Do I need to stick a phone line in the back of the ps3, much like the PC? :dunce:

An ethernet cable, yes. One of those coloured cables that goes from a router to a pc/laptop just goes in the back of the PS3. Hopefully the PS3 is smart enough to do all the internet settings on its own so you should be ready to go.
Enjoy :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here