Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

PS3 or x-box?

Jello

He's Not A Jelly Belly
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
got a 360 but tempted to get a PS3 just for blu ray, once I've bought my HD tele

Conkers

Jan 11, 2006
Haywards Heath
THEN buy a PS3 in 18 months or so when, presumably, Sony will have caught up.

Shame for Sony that I fully expect some sort of announcement with regards to the Xbox 3 in 18-24 months with release for Early 2011. :lol:

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Shame for Sony that I fully expect some sort of announcement with regards to the Xbox 3 in 18-24 months with release for Early 2011. :lol:

Thats not really surprising news though. All console manufacturers aim to release their latest version approximately every 5 years. I'm not sure exactly how thats bad news for Sony ???

Conkers

Jan 11, 2006
Haywards Heath
Thats not really surprising news though. All console manufacturers aim to release their latest version approximately every 5 years. I'm not sure exactly how thats bad news for Sony ???

What advantage does the PS3 have at the moment? Better graphics and a blu-ray player. If consumers were to "publicly" find out that the Xbox 3 is on the way with both those perks (which will happen) then they will be more inclined to save their pennies (e.g. not buy a PS3) and buy a Xbox 3 instead.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
What advantage does the PS3 have at the moment? Better graphics and a blu-ray player. If consumers were to "publicly" find out that the Xbox 3 is on the way with both those perks (which will happen) then they will be more inclined to save their pennies (e.g. not buy a PS3) and buy an Xbox 3 instead.

But

a) Consumers don't need to "publicly" be told. They can just expect that a new Xbox will arrive 5 years after the last with all the latest technologies.

b) You're talking about Sony's current sales being affected by a console that is THREE YEARS away. Do you really think anyone looking to buy a PS3 now is going to hold onto their pennies for three years? If you're making your purchasing decisions based on that philosophy you'd never buy either because about 18 months after the next Xbox there will be a PS4. And three years after that there will be an Xbox 4 etc. etc.......

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
360 by a long way

Why? My son wants a console for his birthday, we already have a Wii, but it seems a close call. Xbox seems a lot cheaper, but as reliable as the rhythm method, Sony seems more powerful, but have treated consumers poorly to date, and the new cheaper model seems to have some god features stripped out of it.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

oh look a xbox fanboi. for the first year or so the PS2 countinued to outsell the Xbox360, im not sure it makes much difference for the next 3-4 years whatever MS announces. like Rangdo points out, a 5 year cycle is fairly normal. noone is going to wait 3 years for the next gen console, they buy one now and another then.

Conkers

Jan 11, 2006
Haywards Heath
But

a) Consumers don't need to "publicly" be told. They can just expect that a new Xbox will arrive 5 years after the last with all the latest technologies.

b) You're talking about Sony's current sales being affected by a console that is THREE YEARS away. Do you really think anyone looking to buy a PS3 now is going to hold onto their pennies for three years? If you're making your purchasing decisions based on that philosophy you'd never buy either because about 18 months after the next Xbox there will be a PS4. And three years after that there will be an Xbox 4 etc. etc.......

A) If you went on to the high street and asked your average joe, who perhaps wants to buy the latest console for their kids, when the next Xbox is due to come out. I can imagine that a large percentage of people will have absolutely no idea unless they are told by, perhaps, a Microsoft press announcement that makes its way on the BBC website etc. I do not know of any person over the age of 40 that have any idea of what year the 360 was released, let alone when the next one is due to be.

B) I originally said this in response to Wozza who said "buy a PS3 in 18 months". By this time the casual gamer will be enticed by the cheap(er) PS3 price and will contemplate purchasing one. If however, Microsoft can get in there early and wow these consumers with the features of the new Xbox I can see many people thinking "oh, maybe I should wait a while and see what this new one is like".

If you can honestly say an announcement with regards to a better console WON'T put many people off buying a PS3 then you would be lying, because it will.

Conkers

Jan 11, 2006
Haywards Heath
oh look a xbox fanboi. for the first year or so the PS2 countinued to outsell the Xbox360

I wouldn't confess to being an "xbox fanboi" by any means. I originally only owned a PS2 (and not an Xbox 1). I don't think the PS3 is rubbish either (infact I quite fancy getting a PS3) so your statement is a bit flawed.
Wow, the PS2 outsold the 360. Not a huge surprise considering the 360 had production problems which meant it took a few months for everyone who wanted a console to get their hands on one. Also, the original price tag of approx £250-£300 put many people off, as did the PS3 when it first launched. Also at this time, you could pick up a PS2 for under £100 which meant many consumers were compelled to buy one.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
If you can honestly say an announcement with regards to a better console WON'T put many people off buying a PS3 then you would be lying, because it will.

Firstly not sure how having a different opinion to you would make me a liar but there you go. If you were talking 6 months or maybe even 12 months I would agree. But people buying a console now, which is what this thread is about, are not going to base their purchasing decisions on what is happening in three years time no matter what you say.

Conkers

Jan 11, 2006
Haywards Heath
Firstly not sure how having a different opinion to you would make me a liar but there you go. If you were talking 6 months or maybe even 12 months I would agree. But people buying a console now, which is what this thread is about, are not going to base their purchasing decisions on what is happening in three years time no matter what you say.

As I mentioned earlier, I was talking about the time between 18 months from now (Nov 2009 - in relation to the post by Wozza) and Early 2011 (which I mentioned when first referring to the new console) which makes it about 14-16 months. Not that much different from your 12 months but hey ho.

Edit: But your right (about it affecting people now). I was just talking about the situation later next year :)

Last edited:

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
As I mentioned earlier, I was talking the time between 18 months from now (Nov 2009 - in relation to the post by Wozza) and Early 2011 (which I mentioned when first referring to the new console) which makes it about 14-16 months. Not that much different from your 12 months but hey ho.

Oh right. So what you're saying is that the market for PS3's in 18 months time will be affected by the new Xbox announcement. Bet Sony are really worried about that one right now :lolol:. And at that time they'll be shipping out pallet loads of PS3's at £100 a pop anyway.

Doesn't really help SamSeagull either who wants to buy one now. Perhaps he should wait for Microsoft's big announcement in about 18 months time before making his decision :lolol:

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Edit: But your right (about it affecting people now). I was just talking about the situation later next year :)

Damn editors. Bozza should disable that function :lolol:

Conkers

Jan 11, 2006
Haywards Heath
Oh right. So what you're saying is that the market for PS3's in 18 months time will be affected by the new Xbox announcement. Bet Sony are really worried about that one right now :lolol:.

Eh? You just said it probably would be affected up to about 12 months (in an earlier post). I said 14-16 months.
Make up your mind :cool:

Conkers

Jan 11, 2006
Haywards Heath

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
If I was the original poster, I would go for an Xbox 360. If the PS3 was £50 cheaper than I would most likely go for that.

Depends what he wants really. It's all well and good having a blu-ray player, but if you have 100 dvd's and no blu-ray films then theres not really much point in getting something just because it has a blu-ray player.

I have also seen nothing to suggest the graphics on PS3 are far superior to that on the 360.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland

That won't make any difference - in 18 months the PS3 will be cheap and mass market.

Those people won't care that a new £300/£400 Microsoft console is on the way sometime. Completely different market.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Can a blu ray machine play traditional DVD's? The one think that pisses me off about the PS3 is that Sony have stopped making the full spec model, and are now passing off a dumbed down version, which I have heard is not backwards compatible, and has other features missing and a smaller hard drive, is this true?

I understand that there is more than one version of the Xbox, is one better than the other?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here