Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Protests/rioting in lots of places

AlbionBro

Jun 6, 2020
You are NOT a fool and no one is accusing you of being so - I completely agree that SKS as PM has specifically requested that the riots charges be fast tracked by the DPP - his legal background has given him first hand understanding as to how that’s done as he did the same as DPP in 2011 riots but, as others have said, that’s as far as his involvement goes.

He has already removed the Labour whip from Jones. As a Party leader that is also all he can do. It is up to the CPS to process his charges along with the other 400 or so riot-related cases that have been fast-tracked so far.
Thank you, but I am senior!
Let's just hope the sentencing keeps coming and we rid our streets of agressors.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
That's good news, hopefully they we charge him heavily too, as he seemed to be encouraging all the people around him and worse still they applauded him. Keir needs to make and example of him and keep on top of all these hate demonstrations.
What a horrible country we are now living in.
He was thrown out the Labour Party pretty much immediately, and has now been charged with encouraging violent disorder -- see:

Which is another example exposing the lie that is 'Two Tier Kier'

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
It is a bit weird, as you say, that 'Conspiring to Cause Public Nuisance' results in 5 years, whilst 'Violent Disorder' is only 20 - 30 months or so.

I haven't looked at the details of the JSO case but I'm assuming they got full whack as they pleaded 'not guilty' and went to trail, whereas the rioters jailed so far have pleaded 'guilty' and got 1/3 off.
Yes, they didn't plead guilty, and also used the proceedings to publicise their viewpoint. I still think that their sentences were too long, but found out that things are even worse in the US -- see:

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
He was thrown out the Labour Party pretty much immediately, and has now been charged with encouraging violent disorder -- see:

Which is another example exposing the lie that is 'Two Tier Kier'
I notice that Farage called him 'Two Tier Kier' and then immediately also said that the two tier policing started / went back to the BLM issues some years ago.

Quite clever of Starmer to have set up a two tier policing system whilst in opposition.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I notice that Farage called him 'Two Tier Kier' and then immediately also said that the two tier policing started / went back to the BLM issues some years ago.

Quite clever of Starmer to have set up a two tier policing system whilst in opposition.
In one of his only pronouncements since these riots have got going, Faridge has tried to draw an equivalence between this and the BLM protests (which were devoid of violence, and responding to police violence)

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
You are NOT a fool and no one is accusing you of being so - I completely agree that SKS as PM has specifically requested that the riots charges be fast tracked by the DPP - his legal background has given him first hand understanding as to how that’s done as he did the same as DPP in 2011 riots but, as others have said, that’s as far as his involvement goes.

He has already removed the Labour whip from Jones. As a Party leader that is also all he can do. It is up to the CPS to process his charges along with the other 400 or so riot-related cases that have been fast-tracked so far.
I think it would have been helpful if Starmer had been equally enthusiastic in speeding up justice for the murdering bastard who slaughtered those three young girls and seriously injured others.

The judge did a cracking job of naming him at the initial hearing but then rewmanded him until 21/10 (which is only a plea hearing) and if he goes not guilty who knows when the trial will be? It might sate some of the right-wings bloodlust if he received what he's got coming (whole life tariff or cushy hospital job) with the absolute minimum of delay.

Of course, swift justice will also mean the victims and their families can set out on the path to recovery.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I think it would have been helpful if Starmer had been equally enthusiastic in speeding up justice for the murdering bastard who slaughtered those three young girls and seriously injured others.

The judge did a cracking job of naming him at the initial hearing but then rewmanded him until 21/10 (which is only a plea hearing) and if he goes not guilty who knows when the trial will be? It might sate some of the right-wings bloodlust if he received what he's got coming (whole life tariff or cushy hospital job) with the absolute minimum of delay.

Of course, swift justice will also mean the victims and their families can set out on the path to recovery.
Cases such as that are not as straight forward. You cannot speed up a murder case. There is a lot more involved. It's not as if he is being released on bail.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

Due process must be followed.

I certainly don’t want a case like this being rushed and possibly he get off on a technicality because something was missed.

Just to placate a few hundred Nazi morons.

A bit silly attempting to frame this as Starmer’s fault.

People seem to think the law can just be changed on a case by case basis to please certain sectors of society.

Boris Johnson and Sunak both had that idea and it was chaos.

chickens

Have you considered masterly inactivity?
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022

He’s caught, he’s in custody.

I would far rather that the police and the CPS made sure every i was dotted and every t crossed, than they went in half-arsed and he got off on a technicality due to a botched/rushed investigation.

Edit: beaten to it by post above.

Last edited:

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

To be fair, the cases being pushed through quickly are to deter further rioting, whilst tensions are high. I don't think there is a pressing need to deter others from stabbing kids, and a murder case will need some time for the defence lawyer to assess how best to represent his client, and what plea to enter.
Also, I suspect some will not be happy with the courts finding when he is tried, as it seems likely to me he will get an indefinite hospital order.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
As well as the content online, we also need to look at the algorithms that decide what content people see. I came off twitter because I realised that I was starting to live in an echo chamber where I never saw anything that didn't support my point of view, I recognised it was definitely taking my thinking down a more extreme path, giving me more and more reasons to become angry but without any balance. With the youTube algorithm their content seems really slanted towards right wing and conspiratorial content, for example if I watch a video with any mention of divisive characters like Andrew Tate or Tommy Robinson, even if that video is criticising them, I start to see lots of right wing propaganda pop up on my feed.

Anything that invokes a strong reaction is going to be prioritised and fed to people, which tends to be the more extreme stuff, and its therefore not difficult to see how misinformation spreads so quickly and how people views become polarised and radicalised when the algorithms of the social media platforms they use are designed in this way.
Yep. I used to keep up with the Ukraine situation by firing up twitter for a bit. It was sane & quite educational, with several very interesting, verifiable accounts. It all disappeared one day. Every bit of it.
Thanks Elon

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach

Magistrates Court versus Crown Court. There is a significant difference here. His day will come.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Similarly we'll only get any serious time for the rioters when the more serious cases referred to crown court are heard.
The convictions handed down over the last few days have been in Crown Court.

Listening to the sentencing, the 20-30 month sentences are in line with a guilty plea for Violent Disorder as there is an automatic 1/3 reduction in the term for a guilty plea.

EDIT
Just read your post again and I think I misunderstood it, initially. Yes - I agree with you.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Wow. I can’t believe the latest line is “why is he not behind bars yet?” To put together a murder case to understand motive etc is quite a bit harder than rounding up some people who filmed themselves robbing. As others have said, they need to nail this case to avoid a smart lawyer getting him off on a technicality.

I suppose they need something to blame Keir for. I guess it was him the almost collapsed the court system over the last 14 years. Those attacking must be gutted that it was sorted following his interventions making it clear the rioters were thugs.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
1 protester in Crawley on the local news earlier. The twit.
If nobody just played this over a loudspeaker then shame on them

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here