Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Protests/rioting in lots of places

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I guess that's a fairly common anti-immigrant perspective ("brown" people horrible/dirty, "white" people nice/clean).

Anyway, just to maybe reassure you.....my son-in-law is an immigrant. He is (obviously) married to our daughter, and he's in the UK under a spouse's visa. He has to pay over £1,000 a year in order to be able to access the NHS. His job (he works for the Bank of England) provides private health insurance, so he's paying for that too as a benefit-in-kind. Plus, of course, he pays tax and NI in the UK, so he's paying his due anyway. There may be a (very, very small) minority of people who get treatment on the NHS that they shouldn't be getting for free, but there are others who are effectively paying multiple times.
Don’t fight prejudice with FACTS. This is NSC

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
Are we bashing Somalians today? I have taught many Somalians in East London and it has been an absolute privilege. A few months ago a former student sent me pictures of her graduation with a 1st from Cambridge, whilst her older sister that I taught and am proud to call a friend has her Doctorate in Bio Archaeology and works for a pittance leading archaeological digs. Strangely a lot of Somalian girls I've taught became atheist women and only a few blame me. We heard the same crap about the dirty living of West Indians, Asians, Irish, Jews etc. in their time. I remember in the 70s being told they love living like rats 10 to a room. That's exactly how my Great grandparents lived in Whitechapel and my father in law in Hackney - it wasn't for shits and giggles, they were trapped in poverty as they struggled to be part of society.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Inciting/encouraging people to set fire to a hotel containing hundreds of people sounds pretty serious to me. If you compare it to the recent 4 and 5 year sentences for Just Stop Oil activists (for planning a non-violent protest), it seems quite lenient.
In just the last few days on here, someone posted about executions for treason, a current elected Member of Parliament and having a length of rope lying around.

To save that person the potential inconvenience of a 6am knock at the door and 3 years on B Wing for inciting the lynching of elected politicians, I’ve deleted that post.

What people choose to post online now has consequences like never before and it’s worth bearing in mind that on NSC the Moderators only read what we happen to read or what is reported, so self-moderation is the safest and best course of action.

(That post hadn’t been reported, but it had been ‘liked’ multiple times - which I imagine is the sort of thing the CPS factor in).

Last edited:

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
If there is a two tier police system it has been that us white males are ignored while people who are not white are stopped and searched in London. The met is institutionally racist, not towards white people!

How anything believes this is unbelievable.

It's funny how 500,000 people march peacefully for Palestine and no one gets arrested, yet when 200 good white English Patriots attack the police they get arrested. This week has an element of the surreal, white people thinking the police are pro Muslim and Police chiefs and Tory papers praising anti fascists. And then a Labour Prime Minister demanding more brutal police and court powers, whilst failing to notice any islamaphobia from the rioters. He even failed to notice our communities standing up to the racist violence.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I guess that's a fairly common anti-immigrant perspective ("brown" people horrible/dirty, "white" people nice/clean).

Anyway, just to maybe reassure you.....my son-in-law is an immigrant. He is (obviously) married to our daughter, and he's in the UK under a spouse's visa. He has to pay over £1,000 a year in order to be able to access the NHS. His job (he works for the Bank of England) provides private health insurance, so he's paying for that too as a benefit-in-kind. Plus, of course, he pays tax and NI in the UK, so he's paying his due anyway. There may be a (very, very small) minority of people who get treatment on the NHS that they shouldn't be getting for free, but there are others who are effectively paying multiple times.
Good for him, although it’s a bit James OB if you can’t accept it’s not all sunshine and roses.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
It's not what you do it's the way that you do it, Starmer is so far removed from the mood of this nation, this has been building for years the heartbreaking murder of 3 young girls was the trigger. Grooming gangs raping young women this country is a tinderbox and Starmer is in his Westminster bubble like his predecessors, blinkers on playing their political games disgusting the lot of them.
Who did you vote for?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Indeed.

How would someone come over here on a dangerous dinghy illegally, then somehow get into a flat paid for by the government, all to blag expensive medical treatment, then bugger off home (paid for how)? If you actually want to live in 'war torn' Somalia then you would be well off there. A warlord. So you would be mad to engage with such a risky scheme.

It sounds like a collage of information from different sources (including people lying) to create a worst case 'they come over here, take our jobs and go on the dole' scenario.

I can imagine people hoping they may get expensive medical treatment and hoping that one day they may be able to return to their homeland, but as a considered plan, and one that works, and can be seen to work, I don't think so.

@Justice are you sure you haven't done an Eric Morcambe here? All the right facts but not necessarily in the right order? For example I can certainly imagine Ukrainians wanting to go back home when the war is over. And I can imagine someone fleeing Somalia hoping they might get better health care here albeit their desire to return to a land run by gangsters and pirates is likely to be minimal.

Last edited:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Good for him, although it’s a bit James OB if you can’t accept it’s not all sunshine and roses.
So on the one hand you effectively post that in your experience all Ukrainians good, Somalians not good, then in response to another post you’re suggesting things aren’t all sunshine and roses. Why don’t you apply the same sunshine and roses to your own thinking and posting?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Are we bashing Somalians today? I have taught many Somalians in East London and it has been an absolute privilege. A few months ago a former student sent me pictures of her graduation with a 1st from Cambridge, whilst her older sister that I taught and am proud to call a friend has her Doctorate in Bio Archaeology and works for a pittance leading archaeological digs. Strangely a lot of Somalian girls I've taught became atheist women and only a few blame me. We heard the same crap about the dirty living of West Indians, Asians, Irish, Jews etc. in their time. I remember in the 70s being told they love living like rats 10 to a room. That's exactly how my Great grandparents lived in Whitechapel and my father in law in Hackney - it wasn't for shits and giggles, they were trapped in poverty as they struggled to be part of society.
well said.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
yes i'm an immigrant , i have paid my way , not signed on in 35 yrs in Oz , pay a shit load of tax every year so in reality i'm a benefit to the system , not a deficit.
But your point was that the UK was 'sinking' under the weight of immigrants. You didn't distinguish between lightweight 'good' immigrants and heavyweight 'bad' immigrants.

So, you're only blaming the 'wrong sort of immigrant' then.

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
You wouldn’t believe the amount of Somalians I see living off the state on my maintenance rounds. They have no intention to work and told me so. Many come for operations and go back home as soon as the NHS have picked up the tab.

One landlord I work for all he wants is immigrant tenants on housing benefit he gets £300 guaranteed a week for a studio flat courtesy of the government, they are happy to live in very basic boxes no bigger than the average bedroom with a shower toilet and small cooking area crammed in.
How the government pay a £300 a week in housing benefit is beyond me, one house as nine of these studios £11k a month and we the tax payer are picking up the tab. There are thousands of similar houses all over London.

To add all the Ukrainian tenants I know all work hard and don’t claim benefits. Lovely polite clean people.
I used to manage a London based maintenance team and the very idea that you have enough time to build relationships with these tenants to the point where you could ascertain their nationality, what their intention to work is, their medical history and get your work done is frankly laughable!

Also, as someone else pointed out, it's interesting that you have chosen Ukrainian (white) vs Somalian (black) as your comparison countries, and mentioned how clean the Ukrainians are - not trying to drive home a particular narrative are you by any chance??!

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
100% agree @Comrade Sam. The school where I was HT in Birmingham was predominantly pupils of Pakistani, Bangladeshi and Somali heritage. Almost all were very poor but lovely, friendly, welcoming families. It was often the few white families who were the least appreciative of school and our efforts to help them succeed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here