Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Protests/rioting in lots of places

aftershavedave

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
Agreed; one or two posters completely dominating a thread with a lot of posts (often repeating the same points many times) is massively dull - and is something that you would hope could addressed through just a modicum of self-moderation.
when virtually every thread is spammed the same way maybe that modicum of self-moderation doesn't exist?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I’m astonished that you are trying to present some kind of apologist argument for online hate speech.

And ‘Yes’, absolutely. I fully admit that I am heavily biased against racist and any form of extremist content being allowed to flood the internet when there are laws in multiple territories clearly delineating what the limitations are to free speech and laws and provisions on Human Rights violations that very clearly define what constitutes ‘hate speech’. I also fully admit I am biased against those who think ‘freedom of speech’ is a passport to say wtf you like regardless of the harm it causes to national security, groups or other individuals.

Not even the ‘father’ of civil rights legislation, Thomas Payne, agreed to the unconditional and unfettered rights to freedom of speech.

‘The Declaration of Rights itself stipulated that laws could limit free speech in order to combat ‘abuses of this freedom’.

If I am appearing to you biased against Musk, it is because it’s relevant to the thread (but my points apply to all social media platforms) - Musk has taken it upon himself in recent days to get involved in the riots by spreading personally dangerous opinions …

And fake news …

You tell me how this irresponsible bollix falls under the universally accepted guidelines of ‘free speech’?

What is also relevant to the thread and the possibility of foreign agents being behind the far rights use of social media to incite violence and social unrest is where Musk got his funding from to purchase Titter which has implications for national security:

’Not only has Musk brought on a number of investors to help finance the deal, including entities with to China, Qatar, and Saudi Arabia but one of his other companies, Tesla, is increasingly dependent on the Chinese market and the goodwill of the Chinese government’

i wasn't making any apology for hate speech, grossly misreading the simple premise to go after the speaker not the platform.

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
So you

i wasn't making any apology for hate speech, grossly misreading the simple premise to go after the speaker not the platform.
Not that simple with X. The speaker often owns the platform. We’ve seen Musk claim a rescuer of children in Thailand was a nonce, claim Britain was on the verge of civil war and disseminate conspiracy theories and trans hate.

aftershavedave

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
Not that simple with X. The speaker often owns the platform. We’ve seen Musk claim a rescuer of children in Thailand was a nonce, claim Britain was on the verge of civil war and disseminate conspiracy theories and trans hate.
It's about time that our government, and others, addressed this. His intervention this week was vile

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
As well as the content online, we also need to look at the algorithms that decide what content people see. I came off twitter because I realised that I was starting to live in an echo chamber where I never saw anything that didn't support my point of view, I recognised it was definitely taking my thinking down a more extreme path, giving me more and more reasons to become angry but without any balance. With the youTube algorithm their content seems really slanted towards right wing and conspiratorial content, for example if I watch a video with any mention of divisive characters like Andrew Tate or Tommy Robinson, even if that video is criticising them, I start to see lots of right wing propaganda pop up on my feed.

Anything that invokes a strong reaction is going to be prioritised and fed to people, which tends to be the more extreme stuff, and its therefore not difficult to see how misinformation spreads so quickly and how people views become polarised and radicalised when the algorithms of the social media platforms they use are designed in this way.

An echo-chamber would be a fine thing. My issue with Twitter in the age of Musk is that my FYP is full of racism and misogyny. Can't I just have a bit of football, philosophy and progressive politics?

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011

Of course, so what are the figures paid to landlords for their rooms and how do they compare with local rental rates.

I was going to suggest that they would be paid lower than the going rate. Then @Jim in the West pointed out that the Tories set up the contracts with Serco and Serco enjoyed huge profits. So actually you are probably right.

On a totally unrelated note, I wonder if there are any links between those making a profit out of Serco and the Conservative party?

What I don't understand is why the protesters are furious with the poor asylum seekers who are living in shit conditions in serco housing and not making huge profits and not furious with the Tories, and Serco who are making huge profits.

Some must be pretty angry with themselves for voting for this situation over the last 14 years too.

Edit: I seem to have assumed that Serco would pay landlords well in this post. How incredibly naive to think they would eat into their profits in such a way. Apologies.
Sorry - just catching up so apologies if fixtures.

Would you be surprised (no you wouldn't) to learn that the answer to your bolded question is.....of course!

But it's not just Tories who have had their snouts in the Serco trough according to this article from the Morning Star

Here's the former top boss at Serco being appointed as a Minister in May's government.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
One assumes the rioters didn't conduct a vote and choose this fella to represent them on the radio. 😂

I would put a laughing emoji, but I can't on this one. That bloke is actually quite disturbed.

AlbionBro

Jun 6, 2020
That Ricky Jones chap isn't helping Labour, I can't believe what he said about slitting people's throats, surely he will get charged with such a statement. My sincere apologies if there is a thread on it, but I could not find it.
Does anyone know the legality on this?
We can't have these people in our labour party or on our streets.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
That Ricky Jones chap isn't helping Labour, I can't believe what he said about slitting people's throats, surely he will get charged with such a statement. My sincere apologies if there is a thread on it, but I could not find it.
It's on this thread and the Labour melt down one. Bloke's been slung immediately out of Labour and also arrested.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
He was quickly suspended from the Labour Party and has been arrested. The Labour party will not have him back after this.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
If there's one thing DULLER than one or two posters completely dominating a thread with a lot of posts (often repeating the same points many times), then its someone posting a load of really boring posts about post counts. 💤
Did someone say dull?

de la zouch

Jul 12, 2007
No - again conveniently not understanding my earlier post - Im not saying you shouldn’t go after the speaker nor am I saying you should go after the platform - social media can also be a force for good when properly moderated but when that the owner of a platform refuses to remove content that has been deemed universally offensive and illegal, is using that platform to host extremist content as a means of pursuing a powerful and nefarious political agenda and is interfering in the domestic policing and governance of a Country he doesn’t even live in, I say, yes, yes, yes, go after the owner.

As regards my original post about Musk that you have so much difficulty with, read the follow up posts posting exactly the same points and the number of likes their posts have - I am not alone in this view of Musk or the view that he needs to be reigned in.

ps. not going to carry on this line of discussion- I think our differences in political leanings and moral compasses mean we won’t see eye to eye on this however much we understand what the other is saying, agree to disagree eh?.
So to provide some balance- what about the infamous twitter files, as you refuse to recognise “right wing publications” I’ve given you something from the Grauniad:
Basically the previous owners silenced a whole group of stuff they didn’t like, which is equally as worrying as the current owners actions

AlbionBro

Jun 6, 2020
It's on this thread and the Labour melt down one. Bloke's been slung immediately out of Labour and also arrested.
He was quickly suspended from the Labour Party and has been arrested. The Labour party will not have him back after this.
That's good news, hopefully they we charge him heavily too, as he seemed to be encouraging all the people around him and worse still they applauded him. Keir needs to make and example of him and keep on top of all these hate demonstrations.
What a horrible country we are now living in.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
That's good news, hopefully they we charge him heavily too, as he seemed to be encouraging all the people around him and worse still they applauded him. Keir needs to make and example of him and keep on top of all these hate demonstrations.

Imho 85% of us are decent people, possibly more. Still love the UK.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
FFS he has already been thrown out of the party so SKS has made an example of him. Did you not read my reply?

:facepalm:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here