Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Protests/rioting in lots of places

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I beg your pardon, I feel you may have misinterpreted what I was saying, I was suggesting perhaps Keir can ensure he is sentenced.
Do you feel he should be sentenced?
What on earth are you talking about??

SKS is the Prime Minister. Deciding who goes before the courts isn’t for him to decide, or even the police. It is the job of the CPS to decide who goes to court. If someone pleads guilty the judge hands down a sentence inline with established guidelines; if they plead not guilty then the jury ultimately decide if they get sentenced or not, depending on how they find the accused.

Or maybe we just leave it to the Prime Minister.

FFS.

AlbionBro

Jun 6, 2020
What on earth are you talking about??

SKS is the Prime Minister. Deciding who goes before the courts isn’t for him to decide, or even the police. It is the job of the CPS to decide who goes to court. FFS.
Why the aggression?
Apparently breaking news he will be charged this afternoon. I thought Keir was driving all these fast prosecutions, if I am wrong I apologise, I have never been involved in the law, I am just a senior fool it appears.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
I agree, let's hope that the 'system' deals with this matter with the same expediency and gravitas that similar cases have been afforded.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Why the aggression?
Apparently breaking news he will be charged this afternoon. I thought Keir was driving all these fast prosecutions, if I am wrong I apologise, I have never been involved in the law, I am just a senior fool it appears.
If it came across as aggression then I apologise.

I’d fully agree that Starmer is behind the fast-tracking of court cases as he knows it acts as big deterrent. But it will be the CPS who decide who has charges to face, based on the evidence the police are able to gather.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
I agree, let's hope that the 'system' deals with this matter with the same expediency and gravitas that similar cases have been afforded.
I hope and believe it will.

Let's put an end to all this rubbish about two-tier policing, and 'one rule for them' etc.
It's all bollocks and lapped up by the people who riot and those who apologise for them.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
I hope and believe it will.

Let's put an end to all this rubbish about two-tier policing, and 'one rule for them' etc.
It's all bollocks and lapped up by the people who riot and those who apologise for them.
I think and hope you may be correct; the proof of the pudding, as they say, is in the eating.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
He’s just been charged with Encouraging Violent Disorder.

I have absolutely no knowledge of sentencing guidelines but on my Crown Court Bingo card, I’m going to tick:

1. Pleads ‘Guilty’ to get the auto 1/3 discount (seems sensible).

2. Gets banged up for 12 months.

AlbionBro

Jun 6, 2020
If it came across as aggression then I apologise.

I’d fully agree that Starmer is behind the fast-tracking of court cases as he knows it acts as big deterrent. But it will be the CPS who decide who has charges to face, based on the evidence the police are able to gather.
Thanks for your apology. This is good as I too was suggesting Keir is doing a great job in now fast-tracking the court cases forward, he just needs to make sure Jones is hit hard to, so we can drive these aggressive people from our party, we can't have the Tories having anything to throw back at us, I am fed up with this Two tier Keir, and hoping he can get rid of this attachment now.

Last edited:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Thank for you apology. This is good as I too was suggesting Keir is doing a great job in now fast-tracking the court cases forward, he just needs to make sure Jones is hit hard to, so we can drive these aggressive people from our party, we can't have the Tories having anything to throw back at us, I am fed up with this Two tier Keir, and hoping he can get rid of this attachment now.
It’s great that you are focusing all your concern following everything that has happened over the past week on a councilor in Walthamstow.

Jackthelad

Mar 31, 2010
I’m noticing a trend with the 20 something guys getting charged, they often have those stupid lines shaved in the eyebrows and a previous criminal record.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
He’s just been charged with Encouraging Violent Disorder.

I have absolutely no knowledge of sentencing guidelines but on my Crown Court Bingo card, I’m going to tick:

1. Pleads ‘Guilty’ to get the auto 1/3 discount (seems sensible).

2. Gets banged up for 12 months.
Seems about right.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
I'm not sure "gravitas" is the right word here as I haven't seen any sentences yet that come close to the sentences handed out to the JSO protesters.

We can only conclude that discussing a plan to lob some orange paint about is a far more serious offence than: attacking people (including coppers), setting fire to vehicles, racist abuse, looting business and suchlike. Weird system we have eh?

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022

he just needs to make sure Jones is hit hard to, so we can drive these aggressive people from our party, we can't have the Tories having anything to throw back at us, I am fed up with this Two tier Keir, and hoping he can get rid of this attachment now.
You are NOT a fool and no one is accusing you of being so - I completely agree that SKS as PM has specifically requested that the riots charges be fast tracked by the DPP - his legal background has given him first hand understanding as to how that’s done as he did the same as DPP in 2011 riots but, as others have said, that’s as far as his involvement goes.

He has already removed the Labour whip from Jones. As a Party leader that is also all he can do. It is up to the CPS to process his charges along with the other 400 or so riot-related cases that have been fast-tracked so far.

chickens

Have you considered masterly inactivity?
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
So to provide some balance- what about the infamous twitter files, as you refuse to recognise “right wing publications” I’ve given you something from the Grauniad:
Basically the previous owners silenced a whole group of stuff they didn’t like, which is equally as worrying as the current owners actions

Well, as I understand it, selective documents were cherrypicked by Musk to “prove” him right, but there was no “smoking gun”, just compliance with reasonable requests from the state.

The article you’ve linked to actually states that Musk is the danger here, not Twitter’s previous ownership.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I'm not sure "gravitas" is the right word here as I haven't seen any sentences yet that come close to the sentences handed out to the JSO protesters.

We can only conclude that discussing a plan to lob some orange paint about is a far more serious offence than: attacking people (including coppers), setting fire to vehicles, racist abuse, looting business and suchlike. Weird system we have eh?
It is a bit weird, as you say, that 'Conspiring to Cause Public Nuisance' results in 5 years, whilst 'Violent Disorder' is only 20 - 30 months or so.

I haven't looked at the details of the JSO case but I'm assuming they got full whack as they pleaded 'not guilty' and went to trail, whereas the rioters jailed so far have pleaded 'guilty' and got 1/3 off.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here