Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Protests/rioting in lots of places

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
You would prefer the BBC to be more “pro-riot”?

It’s an interesting take, I’ll give you that.
What he’d like is for them to be pro riot when it’s white blokes in England flags and anti riot when it’s BAME people on a BLM march or JSO .

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
You would prefer the BBC to be more “pro-riot”?

It’s an interesting take, I’ll give you that.
Not at all . Of course a small element of the protests are far right scum but the sheer numbers prove the strength of feeling across a lot of the country

Starmer labelled it all far right and bbc follow suit . There’s a lot trying to speak up but being held back by Robinson and co

Be nice to be more balanced and address what the genuine protesters are saying ( without being labelled )otherwise just kicks can down the road

Extreme on all sides have no place though . ( Muslim / left / right )

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Not at all . Of course a small element of the protests are far right scum but the sheer numbers prove the strength of feeling across a lot of the country

Starmer labelled it all far right and bbc follow suit . There’s a lot trying to speak up but being held back by Robinson and co

Be nice to be more balanced and address what the genuine protesters are saying otherwise just kicks can down the road

If only we’d recently tested this theory with an election.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I was surprised to learn

• In England and Wales, 30.3% of all live births were to non-UK-born mothers in 2022; an increase from 28.8% in 2021, continuing the long-term trend of the percentage of live births to non-UK-born mothers generally increasing.
  • In 2022, India replaced Romania as the most common country of birth for non-UK-born mothers, and Pakistan as the most common country of birth for non-UK-born fathers.

And the UK’s most popular name for boys in 23 was Muhammad

I can’t speak for the other stuff but the Mohammed thing is a bit of a misnomer as many/most Muslims have this as their first name but under their culture use their second name as their actual name. This is certainly the case with Pakistanis. Their high ranking is more a reflection of cultural naming differences than anything else. You will notice in the annual names list there’s literally no other Muslim names other than variants on Mohammed.

It’s also notice, right at the bottom, parents who can’t spell English names correctly :lolol:

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I can’t speak for the other stuff but the Mohammed thing is a bit of a misnomer as many/most Muslims have this as their first name but under their culture use their second name as their actual name. This is certainly the case with Pakistanis. Their high ranking is more a reflection of cultural naming differences than anything else. You will notice in the annual names list there’s literally no other Muslim names other than variants on Mohammed.

It’s also notice, right at the bottom, parents who can’t spell English names correctly :lolol:
Interesting article in the Spectator from 2015

Why doesn’t the Office of National Statistics want us to know that Mohammed is the most popular boys’ name in England and Wales? Yesterday, it put out its annual survey of the top 10 baby’s names.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
The overloading has its basis in that there were not enough lifeboats for everyone, it didn't cause it to sink, but having more passengers and crew than berths in lifeboats made the death toll large. The Titanic should have had more lifeboats, but they thought it was unsinkable, and only the wealthy passengers and the fortunate were saved.
She has got her story muddled up in a way that coincidentally has some parallels with the situation, she is drowning not because there are too many people in the country, but because we had a financial crash, austerity, covid and a self serving Government so not enough cash to save everyone, just bankers, Tory donors and the fortunate.
Point of order ref the Titanic - the biggest determining factor as to whether you survived was gender. 75% of women survived, compared to only 20% of men. That was fundamentally due to the "Women & children first" policy. Although First class passengers were also favoured due the proximity of their cabins to the lifeboats. The Rest is History podcast has an excellent series on the sinking of the Titanic.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Be nice to be more balanced and address what the genuine protesters are saying ( without being labelled )otherwise just kicks can down the road

Where are these “genuine protestors”? Are they the ones trying to smash up the gravestones in Sunderland or the ones actually hurling the, at the police? Where are they hiding, because to be honest they’re not doing a very good job of being heard.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Why doesn’t the Office of National Statistics want us to know that Mohammed is the most popular boys’ name in England and Wales? Yesterday, it put out its annual survey of the top 10 baby’s names.

That’s quite a selective and self-serving article though, they’re fine with lumping all the variations of Mohammed together but not fine to do the same with Oliver.

Contrary to what The Spectator state, the ONS publish the names and frequencies in a totally verbatim transparent manner, by not grouping any names, so we can make our own minds up.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Didn’t this all start with violence the day after the Southport tragedy and escalated from there?

What any right minded person doesn’t do is think; “I know the EDL and far right have smashed up a town, burnt some police vans and put a load of officers in hospital, but this is a great opportunity for me to go out and legitimately protest against immigration at the same time”.

What are your balanced news sources portraying these events as genuine protests?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I have been listening to some of the protesters and it’s difficult to understand exactly what they’re on about. The video with the woman rambling on about the Titanic sinking due to over crowding is a good example. In this same video a guy is going on about the family values being eroded. I very much doubt anyone is stopping him and his family from siting around the tv, all with sausage and oven chips on their laps, watching GoggleBox every night. If they are then I sympathize, but I doubt it.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

I think the article answers its own question, it counted the spelling variations as different names.
It seems they have either changed their methodology since, or muslims have largely agreed upon the way to spell the name in English.
John and Jon sound the same and have the same root, I would expect them to be listed differently, but maybe with a note that recognises it as a spelling variant.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here