Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Protests in Preston Park (merged threads)

NF9

Feb 24, 2009
Brighton
3.30pm - Protesters are using wheelie bins as battering rams to try and break down the police line.

As the stand-off in Trafalgar Street escalates, police have sealed off side streets and are trying to direct the march towards St Peter's Church.

Witnesses have reported tensions rising and a lot of pushing and shoving between police and protesters.

March organisers have hailed it a great success.

A spokesman for Smash EDO declared the demonstration the most successful in the campaign's history.

He said: "It was better than expected, I reckon at least 2,000 people at its height. It must be the best ever Smash EDO protest."

Jody Mcintyre, an 18-year-old student, said: "I think it's wrong that our country sells arms to other countries that you know are going to use them. "It's very distressing to see factories here in Brighton in the UK." Not everyone shared the thoughts of the protesters though. Rachel Newton, a 37-year-old architect technician, told The Argus: "Why don't they have a bath and get a life."

:p:lolol::lolol:

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
A strange story on Brighton radio, about a 100 masked protestors made a dash across the bowling green clashing with riot police and leaving the bowlers retreating to the club house.

During the disturbance the jack lay untouched and after the retreat, the game continued, thats the spirit.

csider

Dec 11, 2006
Hove
im off into town, f*** talking about it, i want to be in it!!!

let you know how i get on:thumbsup:

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Rachel Newton, a 37-year-old architect technician, told The Argus: "Why don't they have a bath and get a life."

just saw that, hillarious!!!

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
A strange story on Brighton radio, about a 100 masked protestors made a dash across the bowling green clashing with riot police and leaving the bowlers retreating to the club house.

During the disturbance the jack lay untouched and after the retreat, the game continued, thats the spirit.

they're lucky the bowlers didnt give the young hoodlums a slap

NF9

Feb 24, 2009
Brighton

And so it continues,,,,,

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
3.45pm - Police have confirmed a woman was injured after being hit in the face with a missile.
A Sussex Police spokeswoman said: "In Priory Street at about 3pm a woman was injured after she was hit in the face by a missile."
Three police offficers are said to have been injured in total, described by the police spokeswoman as "push and shove" injuries.
Police estimate that 500 people were still involved in the protests at 2.30pm.
Around 200 protesters are still in Trafalgar Street.
A splinter group are thought to be heading towards Middle Street and the beach.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
no updates since 3.45 on Argus.. Looking over the Police station about 7 police vans just pulled up outside and a lot of officers getting in and out

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Tea, play commences again at 16.30

I'd suspect it was more 'rain stopped play'.

Plenty of noisy handbags at dawn stuff between the protesters and police quite literally outside my house. Great grandstand view. Saw one crusty being nicked and bundled to the floor by four coppers. It was about 20 minutes after the crowd buggered off before the police CCTV van cleared off. Mind you we did hear them say 'has anyone got the mobile phone number of the driver of the van?'

Got a great picture of 30 riot police outside our school gates which we can send to OFSTED to show how seriously we take security...

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
no updates since 3.45 on Argus.. Looking over the Police station about 7 police vans just pulled up outside and a lot of officers getting in and out

What? By the police station?

I don't believe it:dunce:

You may be interested to know that not only is the delightful Ms Pepper present, but at least a couple more of your favourite Albion nemeses out and about on the protest today.

Naming no names of course, well not until they get their usual rent-a-quotes in the Argus anyway. But I bet if you turned up, they'd be out there, noting your car registration...

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Is it still kicking off? I'm off into town in a bit for a beer. Can anyone give me an update of where the best action to be had is?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here