Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Prince Andrew interviewed about allegations

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
I don't get this "it must be the end of the Royal Family" thing. There have been sexual abusers in the Royal Family before and there are sadly paedos in all walks of life. You'd have to be extremely naive or an idiot not to realise that this kind of shit goes on. We don't want it to but it exists in all institutions, unfortunately. I know two people who were either married to someone who turned out to be a peado or whose close work best buddy turned out to be an abuser. They were well hidden until discovered and I haven't disowned either of these people as friends. It's a sad fact that some humans go wrong/are wrong and you have to try and weedle them out but I don't blame "the RF" more than I would any other institution. That's not to say that they don't shoulder some blame and should be investigated but it shouldn't mean "the end of them" imo.

Publicly funded, member of unelected head of states family comes with so much scrutiny. It’s not fair on us or them. Needs cancelling.

Can I just remind people that in the last 100 years more counties have moved to a republic than the reverse. It’s odd to me how some people cannot fathom that this could be a positive move.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
I think a lot of the love of the Royal Family is actually love of the Queen herself, as she's been on the Throne for most of our lives, and seems to have done a good job (I say that as a non-Royalist); I admire and respect her as a person, without caring about the institution.

However, because of this, I think that when she goes to that Great Palace in the Sky, a lot of the reverence for 'the Monarchy' will evaporate; Prince Charles is certainly not going to enjoy a smidgen of the admiration and respect that the Queen has acquired over 7 decades of public service, nor will he live long enough to do so. Then, after he goes, we'll be down to younger Royals who are more akin to celebrities, as likely to appear in Hello as in Tatler.

I'm not saying that Britain will become a Republic (elected President Blair or President Farage? No thank you!), but I do think that in coming years, the hitherto love of the Royal family will diminish, and the institution will be slimmed-down or streamlined.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
I don't think it is the Paedo thing that should spell the end of the royal family.

As you say they should be investigated for their part in the cover up.

I am not particularly advocating for the end of the royal family. But I do think that the public should be given a say in who is their head of state. Let's explore some other options for how to run a democracy. A family ordained by god, doesn't seem particularly relevant in this day and age.

We already have enough to argue about , do we really want riots because enough people have chosen a flip flop as our head of state , and i give you boaty mcboat face as an example.:cool:

just seen your post above but my sentiment still stands...:wink:

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Prince Charles is certainly not going to enjoy a smidgen of the admiration and respect that the Queen has acquired over 7 decades of public service, nor will he live long enough to do so. Then, after he goes, we'll be down to younger Royals who are more akin to celebrities.

I fully agree with your wider points but don't necessarily think we are heading toward "younger royals" anytime soon.

Charles is currently 73 so assuming he becomes monarch in the next couple of years, he could easily be king for 25 years, given his parents have both knocked on to nearly 100. If he did, this would make William 65 when he inherits.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Publicly funded, member of unelected head of states family comes with so much scrutiny. It’s not fair on us or them. Needs cancelling.

Can I just remind people that in the last 100 years more counties have moved to a republic than the reverse. It’s odd to me how some people cannot fathom that this could be a positive move.

how many that moved to a republic and havent had subsequent revolutions, dictatorships, coups? most seem to "refresh" the republic every few decades, or less. maybe republics are not all positive and dont solve problems that people have in many countries. ours and many other constitutional monarchies seem to have settled on a sweet spot, where it doesnt really matter for the day to day.

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
I think a lot of the love of the Royal Family is actually love of the Queen herself, as she's been on the Throne for most of our lives, and seems to have done a good job (I say that as a non-Royalist); I admire and respect her as a person, without caring about the institution.

However, because of this, I think that when she goes to that Great Palace in the Sky, a lot of the reverence for 'the Monarchy' will evaporate; Prince Charles is certainly not going to enjoy a smidgen of the admiration and respect that the Queen has acquired over 7 decades of public service, nor will he live long enough to do so. Then, after he goes, we'll be down to younger Royals who are more akin to celebrities, as likely to appear in Hello as in Tatler.

I'm not saying that Britain will become a Republic (elected President Blair or President Farage? No thank you!), but I do think that in coming years, the hitherto love of the Royal family will diminish, and the institution will be slimmed-down or streamlined.

I agree with much of this and a tidal wave is coming once the Queen passes and Charlie steps in. He is unpopular while the Queen does seem to have gathered some respect. I don't necessarily get the whole 'done a good job' for the Queen. What is she measured against? She has done a fairly average job for a long long long time. Her position is unchallenged. She speaks to the nation once a year when she reads a well written documents produced by a press expert. She addressed the nation 6 other times outside of this in her lengthy reign. I can't respect someone beyond any reasonable extent for simply sticking in a position for a huge amount of time when only avoiding death is the metric she needs to target. Being neutral, fair, quiet blah blah blah, these aren't really major achievements.

Im in the minority here I know, but like you say once Charles takes over the mood will change. Traditionalists are moving on too.

In regard to President Farage or Blair. In theory I'm OK with this, as long as they are voted in and voted out democratically.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
how many that moved to a republic and havent had subsequent revolutions, dictatorships, coups? most seem to "refresh" the republic every few decades, or less. maybe republics are not all positive and dont solve problems that people have in many countries. ours and many other constitutional monarchies seem to have settled on a sweet spot, where it doesnt really matter for the day to day.

Bit of a silly argument, as I suspect you know.

Revolutions. coups etc happen because of instability, economic crises, historic tensions and conflicts not because a country has an elected head of state.
France, Ireland, the US (until recently anyway) and many others have done just fine. As would we if we chose to.

Don't panic though, we are a way off making that choice yet I think.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
Bit of a silly argument, as I suspect you know.

Revolutions. coups etc happen because of instability, economic crises, historic tensions and conflicts not because a country has an elected head of state.
France, Ireland, the US (until recently anyway) and many others have done just fine. As would we if we chose to.

Don't panic though, we are a way off making that choice yet I think.

France is on their 5th republic now, albeit the 4th wasnt their fault and 5th peacful. US had a major civil war and would have had a coup last year if Pence had done as some expected. Ireland and Switzerland only stable republics could think off. good governance more important than method of selecting the head of state. UK have had that with monarch, until last couple of years.

Last edited:

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
France is on their 5th republic now, albeit the 4th wasnt their fault and 5th peacful. US had a major civil war and would have had a coup last year if Pence had done as some expected. Ireland and Switzerland was only stable republics could think off. good governance more important than method of selecting the head of state. UK have had that with monarch, until last couple of years.

You genuinely think that a managed move, by democratic means to an elected head of state in the UK would lead to revolution and civil war?

It could work the other way round I grant you (and as I suspect is often the case) whereby an extreme level of instability/crisis leads to a change in governance.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
You genuinely think that a managed move, by democratic means to an elected head of state in the UK would lead to revolution and civil war?

i dont think that. im only saying the track record shows transistion is not all positive.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
France is on their 5th republic now, albeit the 4th wasnt their fault and 5th peacful. US had a major civil war and would have had a coup last year if Pence had done as some expected. Ireland and Switzerland only stable republics could think off. good governance more important than method of selecting the head of state. UK have had that with monarch, until last couple of years.

The most stable, and probably most successful, country in Africa is...The Republic of Botswana

(hands up, I knew Botswana was a stable country but didn't know it was a republic until google told me)

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
Her position is unchallenged. She speaks to the nation once a year when she reads a well written documents produced by a press expert. She addressed the nation 6 other times outside of this in her lengthy reign.

This is an amazing bit of trivia.

I've just Googled the stat:

Commonwealth Day (2021)
Coronavirus (2020)
Diamond Jubilee (2012)
The Queen Mother’s death (2002)
The death of Diana (1997)
The First Gulf War (1991)

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Has the Prince been found guilty yet ?

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The most stable, and probably most successful, country in Africa is...The Republic of Botswana

(hands up, I knew Botswana was a stable country but didn't know it was a republic until google told me)

Not difficult when the opposition is the likes of the republics of Sudan, South Sudan, South Aftica, Zimbabwe, Libya, etc.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
Not difficult when the opposition is the likes of the republics of Sudan, South Sudan, South Aftica, Zimbabwe, Libya, etc.

And the republic of Mauritius. You support my point. Stability is based on a complex mix of history, colonial past, economics, personalities, democracy. Not whether or not you have an elected HoS

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here