Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Prince Andrew interviewed about allegations

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Has the Prince been found guilty yet ?

From a legal point of view, he won't be guilty or not guilty. It is a civil suit and he is being sued.
The court will either find for the complainant, Virginia Giuffre, or for the defendant. Any damages awarded will go to charity.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I don't support your point at all! Using Botswana as a sort of poster-boy for republics adds nothing to the republic versus manarchy debate. There are decent republics, and decent countries with a hereditory HoS - including ours, in spite of a few people determined to define their own country as shit.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
You genuinely think that a managed move, by democratic means to an elected head of state in the UK would lead to revolution and civil war?

It could work the other way round I grant you (and as I suspect is often the case) whereby an extreme level of instability/crisis leads to a change in governance.

I think you are both extrapolating with insufficient data. Britain is not France or America. Nobody can know what would have happened and what may transpire if we either never had a monarchy, or we booted the current lot out.

One may speculate of course. I sometimes wonder what my life may have been like had I been diagnosed as 'on the spectrum' when I was 11 rather than 61. Not a lot I can do about it, now.

My expectation is that the royals will linger till more than 50% of the electorate strongly wish them gone. I can't see that ever happening though, frankly.

Likewise I can't see the UK opting for PR. That said I never expected us to do a Brexit.....

...Given that Brexit did happen, I can't see labour offering a referendum on PR, either as an electoral bribe or as a considered aspiration. The tories would never do that either. And the liberals will never have the majority needed to offer one (and would likely change their mind if in power, anyway, the flakes).

Could labour offer a referendum on PR as an electoral bribe, just like Cameron did over Brexit, hoping that the outcome will be favourable (a 'no' vote)? After Cameron's Brexit debacle I somehow doubt labour would be so foolish. Neither of the two main parties want PR because they still both think they can get working majorities forever more. History suggests they are mostly correct, with coalitions rare and never very successful.

Back to the royals, perhaps labour may offer a referendum on their abolishment as an election bribe. However....I can't see this getting much traction. Give that a significant proportion of the electorate are happy enough with Boris I can't see them getting exercised over the Queen. Or even Charlie boy.

:shrug:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I don't support your point at all! Using Botswana as a sort of poster-boy for republics adds nothing to the republic versus manarchy debate. There are decent republics, and decent countries with a hereditory HoS - including ours, in spite of a few people determined to define their own country as shit.

Quite.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Has the Prince been found guilty yet ?

It appears as if he may have been by those who have had access to all the security records of him and his staffs' movements throughout, which surely would have been able to simply and conclusively prove his innocence irrefutably, as claimed in his interview ???

Last edited:

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016

Except that was precisely the point I was making
It was originally argued that moving to a republic results in 'subsequent revolutions, dictatorships, coups'

I said that was not the strongest argument for not moving to a republic and the link was tenuous at very best

It was argued that Switezerland and Ireland were the only examples that could be thought of to contradict this

I offered Botswana as another example to indicate that there ISN'T a link

And it escalated quickly from there

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I think you are both extrapolating with insufficient data. Britain is not France or America. Nobody can know what would have happened and what may transpire if we either never had a monarchy, or we booted the current lot out.

One may speculate of course. I sometimes wonder what my life may have been like had I been diagnosed as 'on the spectrum' when I was 11 rather than 61. Not a lot I can do about it, now.

My expectation is that the royals will linger till more than 50% of the electorate strongly wish them gone. I can't see that ever happening though, frankly.

Likewise I can't see the UK opting for PR. That said I never expected us to do a Brexit.....

...Given that Brexit did happen, I can't see labour offering a referendum on PR, either as an electoral bribe or as a considered aspiration. The tories would never do that either. And the liberals will never have the majority needed to offer one (and would likely change their mind if in power, anyway, the flakes).

Could labour offer a referendum on PR as an electoral bribe, just like Cameron did over Brexit, hoping that the outcome will be favourable (a 'no' vote)? After Cameron's Brexit debacle I somehow doubt labour would be so foolish. Neither of the two main parties want PR because they still both think they can get working majorities forever more. History suggests they are mostly correct, with coalitions rare and never very successful.

Back to the royals, perhaps labour may offer a referendum on their abolishment as an election bribe. However....I can't see this getting much traction. Give that a significant proportion of the electorate are happy enough with Boris I can't see them getting exercised over the Queen. Or even Charlie boy.

The only part of your post I would take issue with. Ever since the meteoric rise of the SNP 6 years ago, I don't think Labour have stood a chance of a working majority as c50 of their seats disappeared almost overnight :shrug:

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Except that was precisely the point I was making
It was originally argued that moving to a republic results in 'subsequent revolutions, dictatorships, coups'

I said that was not the strongest argument for not moving to a republic and the link was tenuous at very best

er no. i questioned the notion that more countries became republics than the other way and this is positive. the history of those transistion is not, generally, a happy one. CH and IE were not an exhustive list of counter examples, though fact we have to resort to google to find others kinda backs the point.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The only part of your post I would take issue with. Ever since the meteoric rise of the SNP 6 years ago, I don't think Labour have stood a chance of a working majority as c50 of their seats disappeared almost overnight :shrug:

Oh I agree, but I don't think that's what they think ???

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Re the Royals, possibly quite a high risk strategy perhaps so agree probably wouldn’t get traction - would be quite inflammatory for either side of the fence and could turn quite a few voters against them to even propose a referendum on abolishment (if as you say the majority are still likely in favour of retention, and even more so if the Queen is no more at that point)

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
andy 2.jpg

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Am interesting twist. Prince Noncey Pants is now demanding a trial by Jury.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/jan/26/prince-andrew-jeffrey-epstein-lawyers-court

So is the plaintive. He is just agreeing with her, they’d have been a jury no matter what he wanted as the plaintive’s choice normally gets priority. The ‘expert’ I picked this nugget up from on Newsnight last night believes that a jury WON’T be to his advantage. He is just playing the game because he’d have had a jury anyway, he wants future jurors to know that they are ‘wanted’.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
So is the plaintive. He is just agreeing with her, they’d have been a jury no matter what he wanted as the plaintive’s choice normally gets priority. The ‘expert’ I picked this nugget up from on Newsnight last night believes that a jury WON’T be to his advantage. He is just playing the game because he’d have had a jury anyway, he wants future jurors to know that they are ‘wanted’.

Yes, exactly. He knows where it’s going, he just want to take advantage of that and seem to be confident of his innocence. An interesting but transparent tactic.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
The ‘expert’ I picked this nugget up from on Newsnight last night believes that a jury WON’T be to his advantage..

This all day long, even if Andrew is innocent and been set up, with free holidays by Epstein, thus providing excellent photo opportunities.
The American's will see this as an us v them, the news will ramp this to another level.
He is fecked quite rightly if guilty and even if innocent.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here