Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Prince Andrew interviewed about allegations

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
I am baffled why HM has allowed Andrew to not only keep the title "Duke of York" (I'm equally baffled and annoyed why the oik Harry has been allowed to retain the "Duke of Sussex" title when he has made it abundantly clear he wants nothing to do with HM and the rest of the family) but also continues to be Colonel-in-Chief of the Grenadier Guards.

He can actually ride in this years Trooping the Colour whilst he remains Colonel-in-Chief and with his level of entitlement and arrogance would you bet against it?

If HM wanted to restore faith in the monarchy she should do the right thing and strip him of all royal titles, privileges and positions and cut all funding. But she won't will she so we will have to live with a nonce with his snout in the trough. It's embarrassing and it's wrong. This is the real problem with having a Royal family; they are above the law and there is no way to impose controls on their behaviour.

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
Just out of interest, what have Charles, Edward and for that matter Anne done to be called repulsive? They all work harder for the UK than any elected head of state would.

If figures from BP are to be believed which exclude security costs and lost revenue from the two duchies than the working royals cost 5 times more a year than a front line soldier and 10 times more than a front line nurse.

However, in truth estimated total cost of the monarchy is £202.4m, making the average cost of each of the 16 working royals £12.7m. The average per head spend on a soldier in Afghanistan was just £410,555.

Getting rid of the monarchy could fund 17000 more nurses.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Yawn, let's have this discussion when she's gone and one of her repulsive sons are head of state.

The very idea that the people can't be trusted to elect their own head of state is absolutely laughable.

That will be a 'No' then.

If you don't like the idea of comparing a politician with the Queen then perhaps you can name a current politician who you'd prefer as 'President' with political powers to replace Charles or William as Head of State with no political power. ???

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
NSC Patron
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Not saying you believe this as the messenger but it’s 100% utter horse shite guaranteed.
Andrew Lonnie is a respected historian/ author. At the moment, he is involved in a dispute with the University of Southampton and the Cabinet Office over the diaries of Lord Mountbatten and his wife bought by the University with public money.
Although, in their grant application for the funds to buy the entire cache of documents from Broadlands, the University asserted that the diaries etc would be available for the public, the diaries remain closed.
An Information Commissioners Office directive has found in favour of the author, but the UoS and Cabinet Office have refused to release them. The case is currently awaiting a High Court appearance.The diaries pertain to the independence and partition of the sub continent, as Mountbatten was the last Viceroy, and the Suez Crisis when he was First Sea Lord.

His book on the Mountbattens is not a hatchet job, the majority of the book is quite favourable about the couple.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
NSC Patron
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
You’ve had a number of replies to the question you posed in response to my original question - which of the World’s ‘presidents’ would you prefer to see as our Head of State in place of the Queen? - to which I’ve not seen any reply.

In reality if we were a republic the candidates for president would be chosen from members of the two major parties - I can’t think of a single one of that mob that I’d want to see replace the Queen. Can you?

To answer your question, I can’t think of any present Presidents of other countries that I would wish to be HOS here. However, the question is completely puerile as A. I’m not an expert on the world’s President’s, in fact, I could only name about 5-6 , if I’m honest.and B They could not be Presidents in this country, anyway.

Your assertion that a future President of this country would have to come from one of the 2 main parties is not really valid. If our constitution was changed and the HOS became a titular head, with no duties other than ceremonial, not head of the Armed Forces, not Defender of the Faith, and with no political input at all,and no legion of family members living the high life of the State, I do believe that more citizens of the country would be in favour. At present, the Queen is not meant to be dragged into politics, but she inevitably is, as the ERGs attempt to prorogue Parliament proved, if all powers were removed from the HOS then the political parties on both sides would lose interest.

I’m not clever enough to work out the small print, or even what would be required to achieve this, but surely if the impetus was there, it would not be above the wit of man to make it happen.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
To answer your question, I can’t think of any present Presidents of other countries that I would wish to be HOS here. However, the question is completely puerile as A. I’m not an expert on the world’s President’s, in fact, I could only name about 5-6 , if I’m honest.and B They could not be Presidents in this country, anyway.

Your assertion that a future President of this country would have to come from one of the 2 main parties is not really valid. If our constitution was changed and the HOS became a titular head, with no duties other than ceremonial, not head of the Armed Forces, not Defender of the Faith, and with no political input at all,and no legion of family members living the high life of the State, I do believe that more citizens of the country would be in favour. At present, the Queen is not meant to be dragged into politics, but she inevitably is, as the ERGs attempt to prorogue Parliament proved, if all powers were removed from the HOS then the political parties on both sides would lose interest.

I’m not clever enough to work out the small print, or even what would be required to achieve this, but surely if the impetus was there, it would not be above the wit of man to make it happen.

The only institution that can create a UK constitution, (we don't currently have one), is Parliament.

As I've suggested previously, the idea that they would vote to create a powerless Head of State is not credible. To pass up the opportunity to grab more power for their party by opting for a Head of State with new constitutional powers would take a majority of truly honourable members - a situation that has not occurred in my lifetime. Will never happen.

I can see the monarchy being replaced at some time in the future, just not with a powerless figurehead.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
This may have been covered, so apologies if that is the case and I've missed it, but:

There is an allegation that Prince Andrew had sex with a person below the age of consent in London on a specified date and at a specified location. If true, this is a criminal offence so why are the Met not investigating this? Or at least interviewing him about it?

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
This may have been covered, so apologies if that is the case and I've missed it, but:

There is an allegation that Prince Andrew had sex with a person below the age of consent in London on a specified date and at a specified location. If true, this is a criminal offence so why are the Met not investigating this? Or at least interviewing him about it?

Underage according to US law - 16 is the age of consent in the UK.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
View attachment 143727

Let’s not forget this is the same family (two generations) that did this.

And what do you think that shows? Without knowing the context theres nothing you can read into it.

Have you and your friends never done a salute whilst taking the piss out of Adolf and the nazis? Maybe you think John Cleese is a nazi sympathiser?

https://fullfact.org/online/queen-nazi-salute/

It was a video obtained by the Sun. It was filmed in either 1933 or 34 when Hitler had only just become Chancellor. The Queen was about 7 at the time.

Even the Sun commented

In their article, the Sun wrote that there was “clearly no suggestion that the Queen or Queen Mother were ever Nazi sympathisers”. The Sun defended publishing the images by saying they provided “a fascinating insight into the warped prejudices of Edward VIII”, who has long been accused of being sympathetic to the Nazis, and would later meet Hitler while visiting Germany in 1937 after he abdicated.

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
And what do you think that shows? Without knowing the context theres nothing you can read into it.

Have you and your friends never done a salute whilst taking the piss out of Adolf and the nazis? Maybe you think John Cleese is a nazi sympathiser?

No I haven't.

Let me give you the context, this is the then future queen of England doing a Nazi salute withe her Mother and her Nazi sympathiser Uncle Edward.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
I agree, and her successor, Mary McAleese, was impressive as well. Oh that there were politicians of their calibre in the UK.

I suspect that there are (why wouldn't there be - there's a bigger pool to fish in), but the dirty business of party politics prevents them from rising to the top, or puts them off from even trying.

Maybe they would have more opportunity to shine through in a less partisan, elected head of state role. Obviously we'd have to get rid of the present HoS incumbents first...

boik

No I haven't.

Let me give you the context, this is the then future queen of England doing a Nazi salute withe her Mother and her Nazi sympathiser Uncle Edward.

Maybe I was just born closer to the war than you and your friends. Used to send up the goose-stepping saluting nazis quite a bit.

I know who's in the photo. That isn't the same as context.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Underage according to US law - 16 is the age of consent in the UK.

Ah yes. Of course. Yes, she was 17 at the time of the alleged London incident wasn't she. Cheers.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Clearing the decks...

Attachments

• 271811647_4986198464735277_121597207772002749_n.png
    271811647_4986198464735277_121597207772002749_n.png
    111.9 KB · Views: 137

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here