Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Prince Andrew interviewed about allegations

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
'bad apples'

I thnk that seriously misunderstands how the royal family and it's associated machinary works

There has been a strategy of working aggressively, and with zero thought for anyone that gets in the way to protect first Phillip and now Andrew for many many years with the full knowledge and approval of the Queen and the rest of the family. I sense that the view held across the whole family is that the monarchy must be protected at all costs and that the end justifies the means. But this one is starting to look like it is slipping away from them and there may soon come a point where Andrew gets thrown overboard in the hope that we will all forget the initial attempts to protect him (and I am guessing that we will).

Protect Phillip from what? Being old fashioned?

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
NSC Patron
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
The argument that we should keep the Royal Family cos who would be HOS if we didn’t have them had always struck me as strange.
We regularly vote for a far more important entity, the Government, but to vote for a titular HOS is beyond our capability as a country.

I would love to be able to vote for a purely non political HOS, once every 5 or even 10 years.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
NSC Patron
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Agenda? In Ireland? Never :facepalm:

It wasn’t only in Ireland that the rumours are about.

A new book on Louis Mountbatten and Edwina Mountbatten provides a ‘scandalous’ account of their private lives. The Mountbattens: Their Lives & Loves authored by British historian Andrew Lownie, talks about Lord Mountbatten’s alleged paedophilia, his gay flings, the couple’s open marriage with a stream of extra-marital affairs, the royal family’s displeasure with the Mountbattens’ private lives and public spectacles about their tussle with the press.

Based on several sources such as interviews, news articles and a dossier on the Mountbattens by the US’ Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), the book comes just ahead of the 40th anniversary of Lord Mountbatten’s assassination at the hands of the IRA.

Was Dickie Mountbatten a paedophile?

Since the release of the book, global press has hotly debated the possibility of Lord Mountbatten being a paedophile.

Mountbatten, who was referred to as Dickie by his close ones, seems to have allegedly been a serial offender when it came to child sexual abuse
While his paedophilia has been previously reported, this account by Lownie lists several sources to back its claim.

The book cites a 1987 article in the New Zealand’s tabloid Truth, which drew the testimony of Mountbatten’s then driver, Norman Nield. Back then, Mountbatten was the Admiral of the Royal Navy.

Nield reveals that he was ordered to “take young boys to Admiral’s official residence” in Dickie’s Hummer, and was paid 5 pounds per week for his silence. According to Nield, the Admiral used “brandy and lemonade” to seduce children and the boys ranged from the ages of eight to twelve.
Another published article by Irish writer Robin Bryans talks about Mountbatten being a part of an “old-boy networks that held orgies”. It also talked about his interest in “first year public school boys”, who must have been “10 to 14” year olds.

Lownie writes that while these accounts were denied by the Mountbatten family, more revelations have emerged since.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
I don't see a problem with the Anne Frank joke. Just as I don't see a problem with "sweating like Fred West on Ground Force" . They are bad taste jokes, that's all.
One of Frankie Boyle's most famous jokes is about Camilla looking like Diana would have looked if she survived the car crash. Bad taste but comedic value imo.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
The argument that we should keep the Royal Family cos who would be HOS if we didn’t have them had always struck me as strange.
We regularly vote for a far more important entity, the Government, but to vote for a titular HOS is beyond our capability as a country.

I would love to be able to vote for a purely non political HOS, once every 5 or even 10 years.

The idea that an elected, non-political HOS, could replace the sovereign is pie in the sky.

Were the ‘republican movement’ to be supported by a majority of MPs in the House of Commons there is no way that they would support the idea of introducing an apolitical head of state. We would end up with a president tied to one of the political parties with powers decided upon by MPs.

This then begs the question as to whether that would be better than a monarch who is the titular head of state but has no real political power. I can’t think of a single ‘president’ from any country that I would rather have as head of state than the current monarch. Maybe you can suggest one ???

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
NSC Patron
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
The idea that an elected, non-political HOS, could replace the sovereign is pie in the sky.

Were the ‘republican movement’ to be supported by a majority of MPs in the House of Commons there is no way that they would support the idea of introducing an apolitical head of state. We would end up with a president tied to one of the political parties with powers decided upon by MPs.

This then begs the question as to whether that would be better than a monarch who is the titular head of state but has no real political power. I can’t think of a single ‘president’ from any country that I would rather have as head of state than the current monarch. Maybe you can suggest one ???

I agree the Queen has done a remarkable job over the last 70 years, but my point remains. The only argument for retaining the ‘Royal Family’ after the death of the present Monarch, appears to be”We can’t think of anyone else to do it”
Hardly a convincing argument, when we claim to be a democracy. In actuality, we’re not, we are a constitutional monarchy, but that is a side issue. I realise that our Government now, and indeed the majority of the general population have no wish to consign the Monarchy to the past, but I hope that after the death of the Queen it can become a serious discussion.

I will ask you a question, are there any Countries who have become Republics that are clamouring for their old Royal rulers back?

Last edited:

bomber130

bomber130
Jun 10, 2011
I don't see a problem with the Anne Frank joke. Just as I don't see a problem with "sweating like Fred West on Ground Force" . They are bad taste jokes, that's all.
One of Frankie Boyle's most famous jokes is about Camilla looking like Diana would have looked if she survived the car crash. Bad taste but comedic value imo.

Agree bad taste but comedic value. Some people need to lighten up and not keep living on past misdemeanours of a different generation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Agree bad taste but comedic value. Some people need to lighten up and not keep living on past misdemeanours of a different generation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bad taste and no comedic value in my opinion. I don't think I could ever lower my taste in comedy to Frankie Boyle but I guess we all have differing comedic values. No doubt someone will come back with supposing my taste is Mrs Brown's Boys or Michael McIntyre. Well No and Yes to save the trouble, although many other No's and Yes's are also available.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I agree the Queen has done a remarkable job over the last 70 years, but my point remains. The only argument for retaining the ‘Royal Family’ after the death of the present Monarch, appears to be”We can’t think of anyone else to do it”
Hardly a convincing argument, when we claim to be a democracy. In actuality, we’re not, we are a constitutional monarchy, but that is a side issue. I realise that our Government now, and indeed the majority of the general population have no wish to consign the Monarchy to the past, but I hope that after the death of the Queen it can become a serious discussion.

I will ask you a question, are there any Countries who have become Republics that are clamouring for their old Royal rulers back?

Spain did after their civil war.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here