Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Price of cigarettes

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Smoking is cool, that's what you're forgetting.

If you're about 9, it does seem cool and "hard".

If you're on a balcony in France, dressed in a suit and reading the paper, then yes. If you're in a speakeasy in New York in the 30s, then DEFINITELY.

But in South England, 2012, just standing around? Nope.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
If you're about 9, it does seem cool and "hard".

If you're on a balcony in France, dressed in a suit and reading the paper, then yes. If you're in a speakeasy in New York in the 30s, then DEFINITELY.

But in South England, 2012, just standing around? Nope.

Do you have AVATARS switched off, Mello?

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Estimated overall cost of smoking each year £14bn according to ASH. Estimated cost of alcohol abuse each year is £25bn according to health experts. This is purely financial, you only need to pick up any paper on any given day or go to any town or village at any weekend to see the social cost of drinking and apparently 2.6m children live with parents who drink at dangerous levels.

What with the campaigns to give up and the ban on indoor smoking and every smoker and non-smoker knowing about the dangers of secondary smoking, each year the number of deaths from passive smoking reduces and at a dramatic rate according to scientists. It's clear to anybody that drinking is now a far more anti-social activity than smoking and very recently the Lancet published an extremely authorative paper from independent experts who ranked alcohol as the most dangerous drug by a country mile - way ahead of crack, heroin, tobacco or any other legal or illegal fix.

Smokers know full well they are more likely to die early and thanks to legislation and education are less likely to cause the deaths of others so why not let them make an informed choice about what to do with their own bodies? And before we all get on our high horses about the dangers of smoking I think there should be a bit more reflection from drinkers about their own part in propping up a trade that does this country far more harm than smoking.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I read it more as that as we are going to die anyway, why not do something that you can potentially enjoy when you are alive. So if raw chicken breast is your thing... chomp away.

Because the chances are it will shorten your life and make you die a horrific death. I smoked for 7 years. Did I enjoy it? Yes. But if I actually think about it, not that much, I just did it because I did it. You really don't get much out of it.

Estimated overall cost of smoking each year £14bn according to ASH. Estimated cost of alcohol abuse each year is £25bn according to health experts. This is purely financial, you only need to pick up any paper on any given day or go to any town or village at any weekend to see the social cost of drinking and apparently 2.6m children live with parents who drink at dangerous levels.

What with the campaigns to give up and the ban on indoor smoking and every smoker and non-smoker knowing about the dangers of secondary smoking, each year the number of deaths from passive smoking reduces and at a dramatic rate according to scientists. It's clear to anybody that drinking is now a far more anti-social activity than smoking and very recently the Lancet published an extremely authorative paper from independent experts who ranked alcohol as the most dangerous drug by a country mile - way ahead of crack, heroin, tobacco or any other legal or illegal fix.

Smokers know full well they are more likely to die early and thanks to legislation and education are less likely to cause the deaths of others so why not let them make an informed choice about what to do with their own bodies? And before we all get on our high horses about the dangers of smoking I think there should be a bit more reflection from drinkers about their own part in propping up a trade that does this country far more harm than smoking.

It's a valid point, definitely. But from a purely selfish point of view, at least drinking gets you drunk, smoking doesn't do anything, apart from make you smell and wheeze. And drinking is a much more social thing than smoking. Also, it is much easier to drink in moderation than it is to smoke in moderation. Most drinkers can drink without getting addicted, most smokers cant smoke without getting addicted.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Because the chances are it will shorten your life and make you die a horrific death. I smoked for 7 years. Did I enjoy it? Yes. But if I actually think about it, not that much, I just did it because I did it. You really don't get much out of it.

It's a valid point, definitely. But from a purely selfish point of view, at least drinking gets you drunk, smoking doesn't do anything, apart from make you smell and wheeze. And drinking is a much more social thing than smoking. Also, it is much easier to drink in moderation than it is to smoke in moderation. Most drinkers can drink without getting addicted, most smokers cant smoke without getting addicted.

I agree on all these points. I'm a non-smoker who occasionally drinks and sometimes far too much, usually on away games and had great fun doing it. But playing devil's advocate are we not being selfish here in being complicit in a business that harms this country far more than smoking ever will? I'm not sure I feel comfortable seeing people moralising about how bad smoking is when most of us are part of a bigger problem. If people feel so passionately then maybe we should also make the sacrifice not to drink, for the greater good.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I agree on all these points. I'm a non-smoker who occasionally drinks and sometimes far too much, usually on away games and had great fun doing it. But playing devil's advocate are we not being selfish here in being complicit in a business that harms this country far more than smoking ever will? I'm not sure I feel comfortable seeing people moralising about how bad smoking is when most of us are part of a bigger problem. If people feel so passionately then maybe we should also make the sacrifice not to drink, for the greater good.

I don't think I am complicit in a business that harms this country. Alcohol doesn't harm the country, the people that drink it and get addicted to it do. You can drink alcohol in moderation and it doesn't do any damage, you cant really do that with smoking. For me, it's all about the risk and what you get for taking the risk. I probably drink too much alcohol, but I get a lot more enjoyment out of that than I ever did out of smoking. There's a risk involved in drugs, but people take them because the enjoyment of them makes the risk worthwhile. If you had the same risk in drinking a cup of tea, then you probably wouldn't do it. Smoking is shit.

I love being a high and mighty ex-smoker, it feels fabulous up on this high horse.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Alcohol doesn't harm the country, the people that drink it and get addicted to it do

Not just addicted, anyone who's got drunk and done something stupid (got in a fight, missed work, smashed something...the list goes on) has probably done damage, it all adds up. It seems to me a logical conclusion that anyone who cites the greater good when calling for restrictions on smoking really ought to consider the greater good of campaigning for an alcohol-free society too.

Magicman

Jul 19, 2011
Elm Grove
Up until last Tuesday morning i was smoking 30 a day , costing me about a tenner , which equates to £3650.00 per year.
The wife got me one of those electric ciggy things and i have not had a "real" cigarette since , nor do i crave or wish to have one .
I always seemed to find an excuse not to pack up , convincing myself and others that i enjoyed it.
The wife packed in her 20 a day habit 8 months ago , between us we are going to be over 5 grand a year better off !!
Each evening when i get in from work im now putting a tenner in a tin (probably equal to my daily tips in the cab) and although i dont know what im going to spend it on , a cracking holiday is certainly an option.
The E ciggy i use does contain nicotine , but no carbon monoxide or tar . The juice costs me a fiver a week , when the current supply runs out i will go for a lower dose and eventually on to a nicotine free flavoured glycerine .
My last punter tonight had just had a fag before getting into the cab , she stunk rotten , never noticed it before and i spose i stunk just the same !!

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Smoking is bad, there's no doubt about that, but it's clear that the health risks are massively exaggerated.

It is never going to happen, but there should be more education for people who do smoke about how to minimise the risks, such as:

1) Smoke roll ups. They burn at a lower temperature, have a higher water content and less additives. A single roll up produces far less smoke than a straight, so you will also find yourself smoking less.

2) Don't smoke to the butt. The tar and toxins build up with every puff, meaning every puff you take of a cigarette, the more unhealthy it is. The more smoked a cigarette is, the more damaging it is to your lungs.

3) Don't hold the cigarette in your mouth like a cowboy, you are just causing unnecessary damage.

4) Take smaller puffs and hold the smoke in your mouth and lungs for as short a time as you can.

5) Open the windows. Whether you are in your room or your car, the invisible second hand smoke will continue to cause damage even when you have put it out.
Sounds like a lot of effort - might as well just give up :D

Peever

Sep 5, 2010
Canada
All you need to help quitting is the "lovely" pictures they have started putting on our packs in Canada.....some examples

CanadaNewTobaccoProductPackaging.jpg

and
Leroy-smoker.ashx

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
Up until last Tuesday morning i was smoking 30 a day , costing me about a tenner , which equates to £3650.00 per year.
The wife got me one of those electric ciggy things and i have not had a "real" cigarette since , nor do i crave or wish to have one .
I always seemed to find an excuse not to pack up , convincing myself and others that i enjoyed it.
The wife packed in her 20 a day habit 8 months ago , between us we are going to be over 5 grand a year better off !!
Each evening when i get in from work im now putting a tenner in a tin (probably equal to my daily tips in the cab) and although i dont know what im going to spend it on , a cracking holiday is certainly an option.
The E ciggy i use does contain nicotine , but no carbon monoxide or tar . The juice costs me a fiver a week , when the current supply runs out i will go for a lower dose and eventually on to a nicotine free flavoured glycerine .
My last punter tonight had just had a fag before getting into the cab , she stunk rotten , never noticed it before and i spose i stunk just the same !!

THIS with big bells on...

Ive done the same, but i got an E-cig 6 weeks ago now, havent wanted a roll up since.

Im currently on the 18mg vanilla oil, got a 30ml bottle for £8, when this runs out im getting 12mg oil, then 6mg etc. then 0mg oil. after that, theres no point so I shall just stop.

Ive been telling myself I should quit for several years now, the only ciggy I used to enjoy was the post meal one, otherwise I'd smoke one, then after wondered why I just did.

I dont wheeze laying in bed anymore, I can walk up hills quicker without my lungs feeling like theyre on fire, and the stairs to WSU are easy now compared to 7 weeks ago.

My missus still smokes, there was 2 e-cigs in the kit I bought, she started on one but soon went back to smoking, she just isnt ready to stop and unfortunately still enjoys smoking. Ive noticed just how much it stinks now, its vile, I can smell it from a mile away if she's smoking outside, and I've banned her from smoking in my car now, as it still smells hours later when I get back in to go somewhere. My taste is a lot stronger now too, vegetables now taste lovely whereas before they were just a plate filler.

Wish I'd stopped sooner to be honest, these e-cigs have worked a treat for me, hands still busy, still exhale what looks like smoke, dont have to go outside for it either and no more missed conversations in the pub.

Really is a win-win situation.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Er, no it's not. I might get hit by a bus tomorrow, but the chances are I won't (touch wood). That's like saying "You might as well go and play on the motorway, because something is going to kill you anyway, it might as well be a speeding car".

Smoking greatly increases the risk of getting lung cancer and other killer diseases, to say that it doesn't matter because you might get another disease anyway is ridiculous.

I'm off to chomp on a raw chicken breast and some rotten prawns, as I might fall out of my window and break my neck later anyway.

I read it more as that as we are going to die anyway, why not do something that you can potentially enjoy when you are alive. So if raw chicken breast is your thing... chomp away.

Thank you, you've saved me the effort ^^

Commander, all the things you've listed are likely to be incredibly hazardous to you immediate health and probably not that enjoyable, although you could compare them to things people currently do in real life - adrenaline sports and scat fetish!

Smoking kills you over the space of a few decades, if I were a smoker I'd be more worried about stinking of fags, getting dull wrinkly skin and wasting all my money than I was about lung cancer.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Anyone who wants to pack up...just reach straight for Alan Carr's Easyway to give up Smoking.

I don't mean the Goofy Gay bloke btw. I GUARANTEE you will succeed if you follow his method. It is dead easy and you will be done and dusted in less than a week.

Anyone interested can PM me or just Google it.

Nov 27, 2009
Likewise, when drinking a can of jeyes fluids take small sips, and don't gulp it down, it might cause hiccups!
....never heard such rubbish.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here