Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Price of cigarettes

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I'm thinking of starting up again but should I ease myself back in with Nicorette chewing gum first ?

TranmereGull

Oct 26, 2012
On the Banks of the Mersey
Some interesting facts:

Cigarettes cause about one death per million smoked.

A 12m (40ft) container... houses 10 million cigarettes, which means that each container will cause about 10 deaths.

A factory such as Hongta's in Yuxi [China] is responsible for generating 25,000 or 30,000 deaths per year from lung cancer. And about twice that number from other diseases.

Cigarette makers make about a penny in profit for every cigarette sold, which means that the value of a life to a cigarette maker is about $10,000.

In 1919, lung cancer was so rare, medical students would jump at the chance to attend an autopsy to view this rare disease. 80 years later, lung cancer claimed 1.1million lives in a year, 85% of those directly attributed to tobacco.

Here another fact.

Are you ready?

Non Smokers.....die every day.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Even as someone who smokes at the weekend with a few drinks I really can't understand how anyone could smoke 20 fags a day.

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
Scandalous prices grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Being an ex smoker I care not one jot nowadays about the price of fags but I do wonder sometimes how much more money I would have if I didn't drink. I mean, obviously I don't think about it for too long, but 3.50 a pint now ?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The odds are: A miilion to one that 1 fag will kill you, evens that a million fags will kill you 6-4 being a sanctimonious arsehole will result in someone else killing you.

Alternatively...you could walk out tomorrow and get hit by a bus.

P.S. I dont smoke.

That's a no then....

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
The odds are:

Alternatively....you could walk out tomorrow and get hit by a bus.

P.S. I dont smoke.

You have to factor in all the times you walk to the shop to buy cigarettes then where you pass a bus route ... see, the odds are getting worse all the time.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
Some interesting facts:

A 12m (40ft) container... houses 10 million cigarettes, which means that each container will cause about 10 deaths.

A factory such as Hongta's in Yuxi [China] is responsible for generating 25,000 or 30,000 deaths per year from lung cancer. And about twice that number from other diseases.

Cigarette makers make about a penny in profit for every cigarette sold, which means that the value of a life to a cigarette maker is about $10,000.

In 1919, lung cancer was so rare, medical students would jump at the chance to attend an autopsy to view this rare disease. 80 years later, lung cancer claimed 1.1million lives in a year, 85% of those directly attributed to tobacco.

Is this really So......when I see old pictures and films it seems to me everyone smoked, much more than today ! it just seems to me that anyone that smokes dies because they smoked including my Nan and grandad, he died of smoking related stroke at 79 and she died of a smoking related heart attack at 82!!...give me either of those ages now and I will take them.

TranmereGull

Oct 26, 2012
On the Banks of the Mersey
You have to factor in all the times you walk to the shop to buy cigarettes then where you pass a bus route ... see, the odds are getting worse all the time.

If you smoke enough fags then you get to ride around in one of those cool electric mopeds which, not only saves sho leather, but significantly increases your appeal to the ladies.

Unfortunately you are impotent becauses of fags but theres no more tedious walking. You are also able to accelerate out of the way of busses.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

The odds are: A miilion to one that 1 fag will kill you, evens that a million fags will kill you 6-4 being a sanctimonious arsehole will result in someone else killing you.

That's a no then....

Are my maths correct here? 1 in a million fags will kill someone, meaning that 999,999 won't.

Therefore, the odds of being killed by smoking if you smoke 1 million in your lifetime:

= (1 - ((999999/1000000)^1000000)
= (1 - 0.999999^1000000)
=1-0.368

= 63.212%

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Are my maths correct here? 1 in a million fags will kill someone, meaning that 999,999 won't.

Therefore, the odds of being killed by smoking if you smoke 1 million in your lifetime:

= (1 - ((999999/1000000)^1000000)
= (1 - 0.999999^1000000)
=1-0.368

= 63.212%

If you're saying that 999,999 fags won't kill you, but that 1m will, you can extrapolate from that that it's the 1 millionth fag that will kill you - which is just one fag.

Therefore the chances of smoking killing you are 1 in 1 - providing you smoke 999,999 fags first.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
If you smoke enough fags then you get to ride around in one of those cool electric mopeds which, not only saves sho leather, but significantly increases your appeal to the ladies.

Unfortunately you are impotent becauses of fags but theres no more tedious walking. You are also able to accelerate out of the way of busses.

The guy over the road from me has COPD/Emphasema and although constantly on a nebuliser or sometimes oxygen still smokes like a chimney. Now THAT is dedication.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
If you're saying that 999,999 fags won't kill you, but that 1m will, you can extrapolate from that that it's the 1 millionth fag that will kill you - which is just one fag.

Therefore the chances of smoking killing you are 1 in 1 - providing you smoke 999,999 fags first.

Surely if the magnufactures just marked the one cigarette that kills you with a different colour paper or something then smoking wouldn't be a problem.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I have nothing against people paying that amount of money for a packet of fags if that is what they want. The only objection I have is the fact that all outside seating areas to coffee bars and pubs and bus shelters are taken up by smokers and if I don't want to smell of tobacco I cannot sit there.

I am not certain that the law relating to covered/ open areas in pubs etc is strictly enforced but that is another issue.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here