Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Price of cigarettes

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
I think non smokers have lost out on trying to force smokers to give up. Its meant that the numbers of people living to an old age has gone up, leading to our pensions crisis and forcing people to work longer in their lives.

Ex-Staffs Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Adelaide, SA
In 1919, lung cancer was so rare, medical students would jump at the chance to attend an autopsy to view this rare disease. 80 years later, lung cancer claimed 1.1million lives in a year, 85% of those directly attributed to tobacco.

Wonder if that was anything to do with life expectancy etc? Got to say lots of people smoked back then, and no filters and tobacco had been around since Liz the first....

TranmereGull

Oct 26, 2012
On the Banks of the Mersey
My Missus smokes and would spend every hour of the day lying in the sun if she could and got well arsy with me the other day when I mentioned life insurance and funeral costs.

Id say she is virtually uninsurable mate. Youll have to go for the "death by other causes" option and push the bitch off a mountain or something. Couldnt she take up extreme Bunjee or Stunt Motorbiking?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
In 1919, lung cancer was so rare, medical students would jump at the chance to attend an autopsy to view this rare disease. 80 years later, lung cancer claimed 1.1million lives in a year, 85% of those directly attributed to tobacco.

is that because in 1919 you were lucky to be old enough to die of lung cancer, or other reasons would be sepcified? and 1.1 million? what population is that for, because it certainly isnt UK which has total of ~600k deaths p/a.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
is that because in 1919 you were lucky to be old enough to die of lung cancer, or other reasons would be sepcified? and 1.1 million? what population is that for, because it certainly isnt UK which has total of ~600k deaths p/a.

The 1.1m figure was a worldwide stat from the year 2000. The UK has approx. 40,000 deaths p/a directly from lung cancer.

600k is a lot, given we have a population of just over 60 million, your alarming figure would mean 1 person in every 1000 dies from lung cancer every year. Even I'm not prone to over estimating stats by that much.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Smoking is cool, that's what you're forgetting.

Smelling like crap isn't though. Having given up two years ago (when fags were at £6.50 a pack) I'm amazed when I'm with someone whose had a fag recently and think I used to smell like that. Makes me appreciate the wife (a non-smoker all her life) even more :)

I know, I know, ex-smokers and all that etc etc :)

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
The 1.1m figure was a worldwide stat from the year 2000. The UK has approx. 40,000 deaths p/a directly from lung cancer.

600k is a lot, given we have a population of just over 60 million, your alarming figure would mean 1 person in every 1000 dies from lung cancer every year. Even I'm not prone to over estimating stats by that much.

thats was my point, the stat of 1.1m was alarming without context. 1.1m worldwide from 6billion sounds pretty tiny on that level (0.02%?). the total deaths in this country is about 600k (9.9 per 1k). if 40k from lung cancer is correct, thats 6%. problem with statistical facts is they tell you different things depending on the detail behind them.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
thats was my point, the stat of 1.1m was alarming without context. 1.1m worldwide from 6billion sounds pretty tiny on that level (0.02%?). the total deaths in this country is about 600k (9.9 per 1k). if 40k from lung cancer is correct, thats 6%. problem with statistical facts is they tell you different things depending on the detail behind them.

What is this telling you then, is 6% an acceptable figure and no cause for alarm?

Last edited:

otk

~(.)(.)~
May 15, 2007
Leg out of the bed
I was in a shop today, and a woman bought 40 Players, which cost £16.04, and I wondered if that was for a day ??? That would be £112.28 a week :ohmy:

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Smelling like crap isn't though. Having given up two years ago (when fags were at £6.50 a pack) I'm amazed when I'm with someone whose had a fag recently and think I used to smell like that. Makes me appreciate the wife (a non-smoker all her life) even more :)

I know, I know, ex-smokers and all that etc etc :)

That's one thing you just don't realise when you smoke. You absolutely f***ing stink. And it took a good three months of no cigarettes before I started to realise it. It is rank.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I was in a shop today, and a woman bought 40 Players, which cost £16.04, and I wondered if that was for a day ??? That would be £112.28 a week :ohmy:

If she lives another 42 years (unlikely) that'll be a quarter of a million quid on cigarettes. Mental.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Id say she is virtually uninsurable mate. Youll have to go for the "death by other causes" option and push the bitch off a mountain or something. Couldnt she take up extreme Bunjee or Stunt Motorbiking?

The way she spends our money will probably result in her premature death.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
The "you shouldn't smoke because it kills you" argument is stupid, whichever way you view it.

People die from all sorts of natural and unnatural things every day. Smoking every day for 50 years might get you, something else might get you first - none of this shit is worth arguing the toss over. We all die of something - it might as well be smoking!

The main reasons you shouldn't smoke is because it dries your skin out and you look older more quickly, it smells and tastes pretty crap and last but not least it's f***ing expensive!

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
What is this telling you then, is 6% an acceptable figure and no cause for alarm?

in the grand scheme of things, not really. consider this diagram, which will show that you are more likly to die of a stomach cancer, 3x more likly to die of a general respiratory disease. (isnt that a brilliant illustration, they do loads of things like that, cuts through the stats)

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
in the grand scheme of things, not really. consider this diagram, which will show that you are more likly to die of a stomach cancer, 3x more likly to die of a general respiratory disease. (isnt that a brilliant illustration, they do loads of things like that, cuts through the stats)

I'm sorry, but you've taken general categories and applied them against a single cause. Stomach cancer is actually 4,199. Lung Cancer as an individual cause is probably the 3rd biggest on that chart, and bigger than all the recorded accidental deaths put together!

Until you posted that, I hadn't realised how big the death rate from lung cancer actually was, and that's just one disease smoking causes. You really have cut through the stats!

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
The "you shouldn't smoke because it kills you" argument is stupid, whichever way you view it.

People die from all sorts of natural and unnatural things every day. Smoking every day for 50 years might get you, something else might get you first - none of this shit is worth arguing the toss over. We all die of something - it might as well be smoking!

Er, no it's not. I might get hit by a bus tomorrow, but the chances are I won't (touch wood). That's like saying "You might as well go and play on the motorway, because something is going to kill you anyway, it might as well be a speeding car".

Smoking greatly increases the risk of getting lung cancer and other killer diseases, to say that it doesn't matter because you might get another disease anyway is ridiculous.

I'm off to chomp on a raw chicken breast and some rotten prawns, as I might fall out of my window and break my neck later anyway.

Fitzcarraldo

Nov 12, 2010
Er, no it's not. I might get hit by a bus tomorrow, but the chances are I won't (touch wood). That's like saying "You might as well go and play on the motorway, because something is going to kill you anyway, it might as well be a speeding car".

Smoking greatly increases the risk of getting lung cancer and other killer diseases, to say that it doesn't matter because you might get another disease anyway is ridiculous.

I'm off to chomp on a raw chicken breast and some rotten prawns, as I might fall out of my window and break my neck later anyway.

I read it more as that as we are going to die anyway, why not do something that you can potentially enjoy when you are alive. So if raw chicken breast is your thing... chomp away.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here