Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Premiership beginning to resume normal play

HseagullsH

NSC's tipster
May 15, 2008
Brighton
If you wanted the bookies odds, why didn't you go to the bookies to put it on?

No i can't find the bookies odds, that's why I can't do it.

All i have found is Liverpool 1/3 to finish in the top four, not the other way round.

Although I fancy City, I've already got money on them to win the league, and to finish top W/O the big four.
I don't really fancy a third bet on them at evens to finish top four ...

Safe.

Jun 8, 2008

All i have found is Liverpool 1/3 to finish in the top four, not the other way round.

Although I fancy City, I've already got money on them to win the league, and to finish top W/O the big four.

Ok, I'll do it at 3/1.:thumbsup:

mistahclarke

Jul 28, 2009
You are probably too young to remember what it used to be like in the old days.

The break of the Premiership was strongly lobbied for by the "top teams" because they saw the financial rewards it would bring to a select few.

That's effectively what they wanted, less competition and increased financial rewards. Add the Champions League and you now you have a system that ensures perpectual success and the likelihood that 3 or 4 teams will dominate.

They got it, but to infer that's it's natural and simply because they are the "best teams" is a bit naive. Some of us can even remember Chelsea as a mid table side.

If you are really interested in the politics of football it's worth buying a few books and reading what happened around the time of the break off. One of the reasons the top teams gave was that it would enable them to use the money to invest in home grown players and would thus improve the fortunes of the England Squad....

Didn't quite work out as rosy as Liverpool wanted though.

Safe.

Jun 8, 2008
Stos, don't worry about it, you're just waiting to see if City win tonight.

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007

You can do pretty much ANY bet in the bookies, so if you wanna do it that much - you could.:dunce:

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
and we would want a draft system if someone came along to Brighton with a billion to turn us into Champions of Europe six years running?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
If you dont like the Prem then dont watch? its that simple really.

I don't.

But I'm not the only one - I would have thought that it was a sign of concern that football fans have no interest in watching what should be the major league in the country.

The PL doesn't seem to be bothered at all but it doesn't augur well for the long-term health of the game.

DerbyGull

Mar 5, 2008
Notts
and we would want a draft system if someone came along to Brighton with a billion to turn us into Champions of Europe six years running?

Then you get people wearing Brighton shirts all over the planet, i dont want that, not being able to tell the genuines from the glorys. And no i wouldnt want a billion come over and stealing our identity, you clearly havent divulged the question, i said that no one should be allowed to dominate, every season there should be someone else challenging for the title as the teams who finished bottom of the table get first pick on the best players etc...

Oct 25, 2003
a draft system wouldn't work without restructuring the entire youth system

'best players' from WHERE? youth players? so do hull just get to take their pick from man united's youth system?! and west brom were the worst team last year, what happens to them, now they're not in the prem?!

drafting would only work if a) the prem was a closed shop, and b) if there was some sort of 'national' youth system instead of the club run system

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
But I'm not the only one - I would have thought that it was a sign of concern that football fans have no interest in watching what should be the major league in the country.

The PL has never been so popular, so not sure where you're getting that from.

Slough Seagull

Bye Bye Slough
Nov 23, 2006

It is Arsenal, Liverpool, Man Utd and Chelsea that have never been more popular...it is the rest of the game that is dying a slow death...

DerbyGull

Mar 5, 2008
Notts
drafting would only work if a) the prem was a closed shop, and b) if there was some sort of 'national' youth system instead of the club run system

A) you reward the teams finishing just above the drop zone (the three that go down wouldn't get anything).

B) national youth system would be a good idea, making schools and university's more important and responsible for bringing up our sportsmen

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

..apart from the fact that I and several other people on the thread have mentioned not watching Prem any more? That was scarcely hard to find.

To say that the PL has never been more popular is clearly bollocks. Not only is there some dissatisfaction on this thread, attendances are falling too - the average attendance so far this season is 2,000 down on last season, which in turn, was about a 1,000 down on the previous season.

The main footballing headline over the last week has been about the problems of Portsmouth - their financial problems are a clear indication that the PL's 'success' has not touched everyone.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here