Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Premiership beginning to resume normal play

Oct 25, 2003
- the average attendance so far this season is 2,000 down on last season, which in turn, was about a 1,000 down on the previous season.

slightly misleading given that a team who were averaging roughly 50,000 have just been relegated no?

or maybe i misunderstand:dasreich:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
..apart from the fact that I and several other people on the thread have mentioned not watching Prem any more? That was scarcely hard to find.

To say that the PL has never been more popular is clearly bollocks. Not only is there some dissatisfaction on this thread, attendances are falling too - the average attendance so far this season is 2,000 down on last season, which in turn, was about a 1,000 down on the previous season.

The main footballing headline over the last week has been about the problems of Portsmouth - their financial problems are a clear indication that the PL's 'success' has not touched everyone.

So I'm imagining the massive support (and growing) the PL gets from overseas?

I'm imagining their record turnover for a third year in a row?

I'm imagining higher Sky viewing figures than ever before?

What an imagination I have.

This is a lower league football team's message board. Of course there's bitterness towards the PL. It's going to be hilarious watching some people backtrack massively should the Albion ever make the Prem.

I'm assuming that should Brighton make a Championship play off (to get into the Prem) most on here would want Brighton to lose, yes?

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria

This is a lower league football team's message board. Of course there's bitterness towards the PL. It's going to be hilarious watching some people backtrack massively should the Albion ever make the Prem.

I'm assuming that should Brighton make a Championship play off (to get into the Prem) most on here would want Brighton to lose, yes?

You've made some fair points but there is definitely an uneasy feeling among a lot of English fans that this "success" is coming at a cost.

It cannot be healthy that the league winners can only come from one of three clubs - discount Liverpool, they haven't won it for 20 years.

The salaries are almost out-of-control leaving some players aloof, disloyal and disinterested.

Can you really feel pride in your side's success if it has no English players in it?

Record turnover, yes, but some appalling losses at quite a few clubs (Portsmouth, Chelsea) which would lead to automatic relgation in some leagues.

I'll bang the drum for the Bundesliga again - great crowds, stadiums, clubs not teetering on the blink of financial meltdown and surprises. No one would have tipped Wolfsburg to win the league last year.

It's the league of our country and we should be able to voice concerns without being told not to watch it if we don't like it!

Keeping The Dream Alive.

Naming Rights
May 28, 2008
WSU

It's not bitterness. Most of it is knowledge people have of the wrong-doings of the Premier League. That means its not good for English football as a whole. That's why people don't like it. Not becasue they are bitter.

The fact that you would assume most would want Brighton to lose in a Championship play-off final just about sums up your knowledge on the situation.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
It's not bitterness. Most of it is knowledge people have of the wrong-doings of the Premier League. That means its not good for English football as a whole. That's why people don't like it. Not becasue they are bitter.

The fact that you would assume most would want Brighton to lose in a Championship play-off final just about sums up your knowledge on the situation.

My point is that CERTAIN people could not "enjoy" Brighton being in the Premier League without being hypocrites. That is all..

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
You've made some fair points but there is definitely an uneasy feeling among a lot of English fans that this "success" is coming at a cost.

It cannot be healthy that the league winners can only come from one of three clubs - discount Liverpool, they haven't won it for 20 years.

The salaries are almost out-of-control leaving some players aloof, disloyal and disinterested.

Can you really feel pride in your side's success if it has no English players in it?

Record turnover, yes, but some appalling losses at quite a few clubs (Portsmouth, Chelsea) which would lead to automatic relgation in some leagues.

I'll bang the drum for the Bundesliga again - great crowds, stadiums, clubs not teetering on the blink of financial meltdown and surprises. No one would have tipped Wolfsburg to win the league last year.

It's the league of our country and we should be able to voice concerns without being told not to watch it if we don't like it!

You're missing my point. I was merely putting forward that the Premier League is as popular as ever, in response to someone suggesting interest in it is waning.

I agree with your post.

Safe.

Jun 8, 2008
Does La Liga have no rules on how many foriegn players in each team?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

You're missing the point. I've been watching Brighton since 1967 for most of that time, Brighton have been in the lower two divisions - that hasn't stopped me watching MotD avidly for 40 years or the occasional live 1st/Prem match, so the idea that I'm just bitter because of in Brighton's lack of success is laughable. But over the past few years, I've watched less and less and from talking to people I know and judging by the people on the board, I'm far from alone.

To say that there's nothing wrong with the PL because more people are watching it in the Far East or because clubs are making money than ever before speaks volumes about everything that's wrong with top-flight football in this country.

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003
I saw 90 per cent of the Sevilla vs Real Madrid game in a bar in Paris on Sunday night and it was spellbinding stuff. Probably a bit of an exception, even by the standards of La Liga, but it really did have everything. Attacking football from start to finish, and one of the most incredible saves I've ever seen by Casillas early in the second half. Much more entertaining than any Premier League game I can remember in the last few years.

HseagullsH

NSC's tipster
May 15, 2008
Brighton
1 Chelsea 25 40 58
2 Man Utd 25 41 56
3 Arsenal 25 30 49
4 Liverpool 25 17 44

Now this looks familiar

That doesn't tell the whole story though.

Man City are only behind Liverpool on goal difference, with a game in hand. They are also only five points behind Arsenal with a game in hand.

Tottenham are only one point behind Liverpool with the same games played.

Aston Villa are only three points behind Liverpool with a game in hand.

Considering we are now two thirds into the season, then surely that is as competitive as it has been for many years?

Munkfish

May 1, 2006

Man City are only behind Liverpool on goal difference, with a game in hand. They are also only five points behind Arsenal with a game in hand.

Considering we are now two thirds into the season, then surely that is as competitive as it has been for many years?

Surley its pathetic that people are fighting out for fourth place. i give you, if they were all chasing for first place that would be amazing. but alas, theres only two teams in the 'title race' as always.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Surley its pathetic that people are fighting out for fourth place. i give you, if they were all chasing for first place that would be amazing. but alas, theres only two teams in the 'title race' as always.

Absolutely, the fight for a place in a ridiculous competition that increases the divide between the top clubs and the rest. That fourth place is considered better than winning the FA cup tells you all that is wrong with modern football.

HseagullsH

NSC's tipster
May 15, 2008
Brighton

Its not pathetic as fourth place is as valuable as second place to clubs (apart from having to go through a qualifying round.)

Surely it is the same as league one this year. Nobody can compete with Leeds and Norwich financially and therefore will run away with the league. The only difference is that there is a new league for them to get promoted to.

The biggest clubs are always going to dominate, it is the same everywhere.

Bundesliga Winners

2001 - Bayern Munich
2002 - Borussia Dortmund
2003 - Bayern Munich
2004 - Werder Bremen
2005 - Bayern Munich
2006 - Bayern Munich
2007 - Stuttgart
2008 - Bayern Munich
2009 - Wolfsburg

La Liga Winners

2001 - Real Madrid
2002 - Valencia
2003 - Real Madrid
2004 - Valencia
2005 - Barcelona
2006 - Barcelona
2007 - Real Madrid
2008 - Real Madrid
2009 - Barcelona

Serie A winners

2001 - Roma
2002 - Juventus
2003 - Juventus
2004 - AC Milan
2005 - Juventus
2006 - Juventus
2007 - Inter Milan
2008 - Inter Milan
2009 - Inter MIlan

Premier League Winners

2001 - Man United
2002 - Arsenal
2003 - Man United
2004 - Arsenal
2005 - Chelsea
2006 - Chelsea
2007 - Man United
2008 - Man United
2009 - Man United

DerbyGull

Mar 5, 2008
Notts

Forget about the top three, that will stay the same teams now, so what 3 or 4 teams have got a chance of champ league footy and possibly becoming number 4 of the big 4. It's still BS really, but if the past is anything to go by things will stay the same.

08/09

1 manure
2 liver
3 chelsk
4 ars

07/08

1 manure
2 chelsk
3 ars
4 liv

06/07

1 manure
2 chels
3 liv
4 ars

05/06

1 chels
2 manure
3 liv
4 ars

04/05

1 chels
2 ars
3 man
4 everton (liv had a minor blip)

03/04

1 ars
2 che
3 man
4 liv

Can you see how boring, repetitive this is...

HseagullsH

NSC's tipster
May 15, 2008
Brighton
Forget about the top three, that will stay the same teams now, so what 3 or 4 teams have got a chance of champ league footy and possibly becoming number 4 of the big 4. It's still BS really, but if the past is anything to go by things will stay the same.

08/09

1 manure
2 liver
3 chelsk
4 ars

07/08

1 manure
2 chelsk
3 ars
4 liv

06/07

1 manure
2 chels
3 liv
4 ars

05/06

1 chels
2 manure
3 liv
4 ars

04/05

1 chels
2 ars
3 man
4 everton (liv had a minor blip)

03/04

1 ars
2 che
3 man
4 liv

Can you see how boring, repetitive this is...

But in those years, generally only one team at most ever threatened to break into the top four. It can't be denied that more teams are becoming competitive for those top places.

It is also a very competitive league at the bottom of the table with any of 7 or 8 teams in a relegation scrap.

Now I am not one of those turning a blind eye to the problems of the premiership, but I fail to agree with those that say it is as predictable as ever...

DerbyGull

Mar 5, 2008
Notts
But in those years, generally only one team at most ever threatened to break into the top four. It can't be denied that more teams are becoming competitive for those top places.

It is also a very competitive league at the bottom of the table with any of 7 or 8 teams in a relegation scrap.

Now I am not one of those turning a blind eye to the problems of the premiership, but I fail to agree with those that say it is as predictable as ever...

Where is the fun in continually being involved in a relegation battle though??

I've spoken to alot of Derby fans who hate the Prem (still scarred from that wretched season) getting beat 5 nil here 6 nil there. But the main dislike is that they're not competeing for anything when they're in the prem. Surely that is what a competition is all about everyone is in with a chance of winning. You saw the New Orleans saints won superbowl (big underdogs) and how much it meant to them. Remember the feeling of jubiliation at Millenium stadium when we had won. Brighton and other teams like Derby, Spurs etc etc should have a realistic chance of winning the very top accollade.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I cancelled my Sky Sports a while ago, because it isn't worth the money and I have less and less interest in what goes on up there as the years go on.

It was only lazily added anyway, because I had the movies until I realised they were a rip off as well.

I even skip through match of the day as well, just for the goals.

However, I do like the off beat style of the Sunday programme, so usually watch that all the way through.

I'm finding the BBC Football League programme very watchable, if on a little late. Maybe controversial, but Claridge is my favourite footy pundit at the moment.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here