Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Premiership beginning to resume normal play

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
The Premiership's goal-tastic this season pop pickers, as The Funday Times rightly pointed out - cricket scores going in all round - best league in the world and all that :)

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The Premiership's goal-tastic this season pop pickers, as The Funday Times rightly pointed out - cricket scores going in all round - best league in the world and all that :)

Yes, the Guardian's had two articles on this recently as an example of declining standards of the Premier League. It's absolutely right, as soon as goals start becoming devalued, the quality of football diminishes.

I haven't watched MotD this season yet -something I'd never have imagined 20 or 30 years ago - I just have so little interest in the Prem League. When only two teams can keep a clean sheet over the whole weekend, there's something seriously wrong. Carry on like this and we might as well start watching basketball.

I agree with Ringleader; I don't think we're going to start to see an improvement until the big four piss off and join a European League - it would be the best thing to happen to English football for decades.

DerbyGull

Mar 5, 2008
Notts
THis is not strictly true, Geelong have been in the Grand Final the last 3 years and won it twice.

The Draft system in AFL rewards medicrity. Finish last, get first pick of the best kids the next year. Towards of the end of the season, teams realise they aren't gonna come anywhere near winning it, so they 'tank' it. Not allowed, but they dress it up with 'experimentation etc...

It stinks, IMHO.

Any salary cap would have to be introduced UEFA wide and i can't see the turkeys voting for Xmas, can you?

But if you look at the afl winners in the '00s there's been about 5 or six different winners brisbane, geelong, essendon, hawthorn, port adelaide, sydney swans.....a stark contrast to the Premier-shit

So what if the drafting system mediocrity, it just makes it a more level playing field. Whats the point in callingh the prem a 'competition' when i clearly isn't, all you've got is 4 (maybe 5 now) teams and another 16 to make up the numbers, the other 16 are clearly not there to compete for anything other than 6th spot at best, what a load of bullsh@t.

But as long as there' people who accept (or cant see it) and just come up with lame excuses like 'they're the best teams for a reason' then we'll just carry on as normal. But i'm kinda shocked cos i would have thought everyone on here would like to see our beloved BHAFC win the title but it doesnt look that way, you just accept that will be a nothing team for ever, maybe one day make the prem, but survival is all we can hope for forever, i don't find that enjoyable, knowing my team will never do anything as long as the Capitalist Prem remains

Maybe the draft system isnt a great idea, but just something that makes this stupid league more even.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
What ever the underlying reasons and arguements this thread shows the general reduction in interest of the Premiership for fans outside of the teams involved (even some of their supporters are losing interest). What ever your thoughts there is no avoiding the fact that it is only a matter of time before the Premiership bubble collapses.

For my point of view I have no interest in the Premiership what so ever not something I could say for the old Div 1. Money and greed has destroyed the competition of the Prem. Think about it from our point of view if we ever reach the Prem will it be a case of survival and hoping we only get beat by 1 or 2 goals each week with the only debate about whether we can beat relegation, that not my idea of fun.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
The premier league is boring, soulless SHITE.

Unless the Albion are there then I will LOVE it.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
İbrahim Tatlıses;3150400 said:
You'll find it's the same in practically every league in the world.

In fact most leagues have less than three teams that ever win the league.

When was the last time Wolfsberg (current german Champions) won it? Lyon had dominated French football for about a decade, but didn't win it last year, so there are changes.

It's the stranglehold of the top FOUR though that sets the Premiership apart. Look at La Liga, and the teams up there with Barca and Real Madrid change year after year.

That's why I can't understand the negative reactions towards Man City, because surely a bit of change at the top is EXACTLY what this dull league needs more than anything, and spending phenomenally big is the only way it can happen these days ..... as sad as that is, it's the reality.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
i dont know how old you are, but some of us can remember when chelsea were a shit second division side , who came within a whisker of being relegated to the third division.

I remember it very well and enough to know that a "cultural reference" in Ashes to Ashes about Chelsea having a big crowd that day was well off the mark.

I was pointing out that it's been only a few years since Chelsea had the massive cash injection but young fans talk about them as being part of the "big team establishment".

You and I know that couldn't be further from the truth.

What I found odd is I don't actually remember Chelsea getting the flak that City are now receiving about their "new" money.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
I remember it very well and enough to know that a "cultural reference" in Ashes to Ashes about Chelsea having a big crowd that day was well off the mark.

I was pointing out that it's been only a few years since Chelsea had the massive cash injection but young fans talk about them as being part of the "big team establishment".

You and I know that couldn't be further from the truth.

What I found odd is I don't actually remember Chelsea getting the flak that City are now receiving about their "new" money.
well i do , people are constantly banging on about abramovich and his money, referring to us as chelski for fucks sake, you're right about us not being part of the establishment though,it used to be the big 5, of arsenal,spurs ,liverpool,everton and man utd, sadly some spurs fans just can get their head around the fact that they've lost their place to chelsea.

Last edited:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
well i do , people are constantly banging on about abramovich and his money, referring to us as chelski for fucks sake.

I agree. In fact, if anything Chelsea got it far worse than City have. There were calls for them to be thrown out as Abramovich was a crook.

Mind you, in Chelsea's case, I think a lot of the ire was directed at the way cuddly Ken had run the club into the ground and had only escaped total bankruptcy thanks to the takeover. Man City weren't about to go bust, even if there were in a financial mess.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I agree. In fact, if anything Chelsea got it far worse than City have. There were calls for them to be thrown out as Abramovich was a crook.

Mind you, in Chelsea's case, I think a lot of the ire was directed at the way cuddly Ken had run the club into the ground and had only escaped total bankruptcy thanks to the takeover. Man City weren't about to go bust, even if there were in a financial mess.

I detect a certain degree of snobbery towards City that wasn't directed at Chelsea.

On a different note, Chelsea tops have all but disappeared from Clapham these days. When I first started living down here, it wasn't usual to see Chelsea fans on their way to the game, what with it being the nearest club and all that - just over the river.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
I detect a certain degree of snobbery towards City that wasn't directed at Chelsea.

On a different note, Chelsea tops have all but disappeared from Clapham these days. When I first started living down here, it wasn't usual to see Chelsea fans on their way to the game, what with it being the nearest club and all that - just over the river.
cant work out what you're trying to say ?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
well i do , people are constantly banging on about abramovich and his money, referring to us as chelski for fucks sake, you're right about us not being part of the establishment though,it used to be the big 5, of arsenal,spurs ,liverpool,everton and man utd, sadly some spurs fans just can get their head around the fact that they've lost their place to chelsea.
This is very true. I think this is probably because Spurs are far better supported than Chelsea and always have been, so perhaps it's all a bit galling for them.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
This is very true. I think this is probably because Spurs are far better supported than Chelsea and always have been, so perhaps it's all a bit galling for them.
not any more they're not.Are you going to the orient game tomorrow then , would've thought you would be, what with you being london based during the day and you being a "real" fan and all that ?

Last edited:

HseagullsH

NSC's tipster
May 15, 2008
Brighton

Hardly.

There is every chance City make it into the top four with the team and squad they have.

Liverpool looking pretty poor so far. Granted they will be much better with Aquilani in the team but the squad really isn't that good.

Give me some decent odds Liam and I'll have a bet with you.. :blush:

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Oh, I think I must be in a minority because I think the premiership this season is BRILLIANT. You have more than just two teams battling it out, no one is going to go on an unbeaten season (all the top teams have already lost).

There are goals flying in left, right and centre, if that means the quality has dropped then I could not care less, I would much rather see a 4-3 with comical defensive mistakes than an artistic, professional 0-0 draw.

It is our fast pace, defensive naivities and gung ho approach to football that makes it MILLLLESSS more exciting than italian stalemates with defensive intelligence.

With 5 games to go we could be in a position where 3 or 4 teams could still be in with a shout. That is far better than Man U winning it by Christmas SHIRLEY?

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
Oh, I think I must be in a minority because I think the premiership this season is BRILLIANT. You have more than just two teams battling it out, no one is going to go on an unbeaten season (all the top teams have already lost).

There are goals flying in left, right and centre, if that means the quality has dropped then I could not care less, I would much rather see a 4-3 with comical defensive mistakes than an artistic, professional 0-0 draw.

It is our fast pace, defensive naivities and gung ho approach to football that makes it MILLLLESSS more exciting than italian stalemates with defensive intelligence.

With 5 games to go we could be in a position where 3 or 4 teams could still be in with a shout. That is far better than Man U winning it by Christmas SHIRLEY?

It may be exciting Wilko, but its not fair on all those sides that have been shat on by the Premier League big boys.

Maybe all the big sides should be forced to share all their players round, or maybe we should kick all the foreigners out and go back to hooving it forward and running after it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here