Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Premier League / Football League attempts to finish the season

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Think I saw a news report saying they project the 1 in 400 figure would drop to 1 in 950 within 2 weeks. A good representation of the exponential decline which occurs on the way down the curve. All figures should be lower by the time this proposed Prem re-start comes round in a month's time.

I'm not sure everyone gets how swift an exponential decline is, but I appreciate many are concerned about second spikes etc.

Doesn't seem to be occurring in all the other countries in Europe which are successfully unlocking though. But I appreciate many feel comparisons with all these other countries are not valid, and that for some reason the UK is on its own unique doomsday trajectory regardless of the evidence of what is unfolding in every other country which is ahead of us on the curve..
A second wave would not likely occur for several months.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
my god we're getting some unfair abuse on social media.

I’ve noticed similar that some sports radio presenters, pundits and some callers in phone-ins. “Project Sabotage“ by Brighton to avoid relegation whatever it takes.

Villa (CEO Purslow), Norwich and Watford joined the fray, but all seem completely left alone and not mocked.

Why are the Albion the punchbags?

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Think I saw a news report saying they project the 1 in 400 figure would drop to 1 in 950 within 2 weeks. A good representation of the exponential decline which occurs on the way down the curve. All figures should be lower by the time this proposed Prem re-start comes round in a month's time.

I'm not sure everyone gets how swift an exponential decline is, but I appreciate many are concerned about second spikes etc.

Doesn't seem to be occurring in all the other countries in Europe which are successfully unlocking though. But I appreciate many feel comparisons with all these other countries are not valid, and that for some reason the UK is on its own unique doomsday trajectory regardless of the evidence of what is unfolding in every other country which is ahead of us on the curve..

It's interesting that the doom and gloom merchants were convinced we were 2 weeks behind and following italy and spain which in fairness has been quite accurate, but now we are on a decline we are no longer in their eyes 2 weeks behind and instead in spite of the figures we are now on a worse trajectory than anyone else

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Don't we need to see a few more rounds of testing before drawing conclusions? I mean, a low number is surely expected when they've been staying home under lockdown like everyone else for the past couple of months. Let's see what the numbers are like after a few weeks training together.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I’ve noticed similar that some sports radio presenters, pundits and some callers in phone-ins. “Project Sabotage“ by Brighton to avoid relegation whatever it takes.

Villa (CEO Purslow), Norwich and Watford joined the fray, but all seem completely left alone and not mocked.

Why are the Albion the punchbags?
Because we are little old Brighton who a number of people don't like being in the PL.

We need to stay at this level for a number of years yet to shift that perception.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
Troy is made for life. If he has legitimate health concerns for his family, he can walk away from his contract and do something else. Watford can't and won't force him onto a pitch.

Whilst he may well be made for life, and he certainly does have legitimate health concerns for his family, he certainly can’t just walk away from his contract and do something else unless he buys that contract out.

Watford can’t and won’t force him onto the pitch, but they can and probably would force him to compensate them for breaking his contract if he walked away.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Whilst he may well be made for life, and he certainly does have legitimate health concerns for his family, he certainly can’t just walk away from his contract and do something else unless he buys that contract out.

Watford can’t and won’t force him onto the pitch, but they can and probably would force him to compensate them for breaking his contract if he walked away.

What’s the position if Deeney stays put, but refuses to enter training or stadia premises, ad infinitum?

I would guess that he’s entitled to full pay throughout.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
I would have thought that would only be possible once the current tv contracts have expired. However it would be a good stick to hit Sky and BT with in the rebate discussions.

My personal opinion is that the most likely outcome from all these problems is that, at the end of each contract, the EPL will bring things fully in house and broadcast the games themselves.

By doing that, they control the full financial circle of football and none of this shit would be happening. It would all be within one company and contracts would reflect this.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
What’s the position if Deeney stays put, but refuses to enter training or stadia premises, ad infinitum?

I would guess that he’s entitled to full pay throughout.

My guess, and it is only that, is that the Club could furlough him.

Seeing how the sports media seems so focused on slagging off anything negative to their ‘footballs coming back but the relegation threatened clubs are being awkward‘ narrative, I fear they would support the club and not the player in that scenario.

I find it somewhat weird, to be defending a player who I really can’t stand, on NSC. :D

But then again I’m supportive of your stance on restarting football.

Why am I on it? Well it’s been the most interesting and informative thread on the subject I’ve come across on the topic as it happens.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
My personal opinion is that the most likely outcome from all these problems is that, at the end of each contract, the EPL will bring things fully in house and broadcast the games themselves.

By doing that, they control the full financial circle of football and none of this shit would be happening. It would all be within one company and contracts would reflect this.

Yep, cut out the middle man.
It does depend though on the PL taking a long term view on broadcasting revenue and having successfully weened itself off the regular paychecks. I agree that recent events may have shaken the cosy view that Sky will always be there to pay the bills. Covid 19 has shown that to be an illusion with the repayment demands.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
I can only assume the good people of NSC didn’t read Martin Samuel’s column today in the Mail?

This thread would be alight with rightful indignation if what he says about WPPG is right.

When you scratch below the surface, what might at first glance, seem a fair system, is the most unbelievably unfair system imaginable.

One example. You lost one nil at Anfield, they got 3 points Brighton got none. Seems fair enough under the rules.

Liverpool’s next game is home to Villa. Liverpool get awarded 3 points which seems fair enough, but Villa get awarded .53 points based on their away form.

A match where 3.53 points are awarded is beyond parody.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
Yep, cut out the middle man.
It does depend though on the PL taking a long term view on broadcasting revenue and having successfully weened itself off the regular paychecks. I agree that recent events may have shaken the cosy view that Sky will always be there to pay the bills. Covid 19 has shown that to be an illusion with the repayment demands.

They don’t need sky anymore, they can now sell the product direct and keep the trough taps running.

And they all know it.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I can only assume the good people of NSC didn’t read Martin Samuel’s column today in the Mail?

This thread would be alight with rightful indignation if what he says about WPPG is right.

When you scratch below the surface, what might at first glance, seem a fair system, is the most unbelievably unfair system imaginable.

One example. You lost one nil at Anfield, they got 3 points Brighton got none. Seems fair enough under the rules.

Liverpool’s next game is home to Villa. Liverpool get awarded 3 points which seems fair enough, but Villa get awarded .53 points based on their away form.

We lost 2-1 there :)

But yes, a very valid point made, and an alarmingly ludicrous proposal. The whole idea of WPPG, where fundamentally there is MORE than a total of 3 points up for grabs on offer in each unplayed game, skews things so wildly as to take the game into another dimension entirely. Imagine getting relegated by less than half a point, based on a game you never even played, because (for example) the WPPG projected that Bournemouth's WPPG average saw them picking up 0.6 of a point for their fictional defeat at Man City (with City getting the other 3). I mean christ.

The hair-brained BUNKEM coming out in desperation to finish this bloody season absolutely beggars belief.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

I very much doubt that Watford would force a club legend to compensate them just because he retires from football. That would be a bigger own goal to Watford fans than Liverpool furloughing staff!!

Personally, I think the EPL bringing it in house would be the worse case scenario. I assume that you mean they will get subscibers direct. If that is the case, I would suggest that would strengthen the demands of the bigger clubs demanding a bigger slice as no doubt their games would attract more subscribers.

My guess, and it is only that, is that the Club could furlough him.

Seeing how the sports media seems so focused on slagging off anything negative to their ‘footballs coming back but the relegation threatened clubs are being awkward‘ narrative, I fear they would support the club and not the player in that scenario.

I find it somewhat weird, to be defending a player who I really can’t stand, on NSC. :D

But then again I’m supportive of your stance on restarting football.

Why am I on it? Well it’s been the most interesting and informative thread on the subject I’ve come across on the topic as it happens.

Furloughing Deeney would just be £2500 per month yet he earns a reputed £65k a week! It would be a meaningless exercise.

Not necessarily agreeing with WPPG but Samuel has a vested interested what with being a West Ham fan!!!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
We lost 2-1 there :)

But yes, a very valid point made, and an alarmingly ludicrous proposal. The whole idea of WPPG, where fundamentally there is MORE than a total of 3 points up for grabs on offer in each unplayed game, skews things so wildly as to take the game into another dimension entirely. Imagine getting relegated by less than half a point, based on a game you never even played, because (for example) the WPPG projected that Bournemouth's WPPG average saw them picking up 0.6 of a point for their fictional defeat at Man City (with City getting the other 3). I mean christ.

The hair-brained BUNKEM coming out in desperation to finish this bloody season absolutely beggars belief.

The stupidity is that they haven't discussed the method of how the season is decided if a completion on the pitch isn't achieved, or at least they haven't publicised the fact they've discussed it. They've had over 8 weeks yet all they have done is reiterate the mantra that the season must be finished.

I'm not necessarily advocating WPPG but there is a limited number of solutions and they've got to pick one.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
You are being a little pedantic. Clearly he means in the context of a radically increased death rate from a global pandemic. It is a little difficult to write it off as business as usual unless (like some posters on here) one is particularly desperate to watch football at all costs.

Pedantic is the wrong word. And I don't think it is clear that "he means in the context of a radically increased death rate from a global pandemic". And even if he does, this radically increased death rate is temporary (unless we believe that the virus will morph into something quite worse that has no immunity and I think no-one believes that, except perhaps David Icke).

150,000 people die every day across the world from causes that are non Covid-19 related; 316,000 are reckon to have died due to Covid-19. That is very close to just two days of 'normal' deaths.

One must not be callous - every death is a loss that causes grief - but I honestly don't think this should be seen as a reason not to start a football mini season.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Watford now confirming 3 of the 6 positive tests are their players, and that more squad members are joining Deeney in refusing to train.

Sorry it's in the Mail.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Watford now confirming 3 of the 6 positive tests are their players, and that more squad members are joining Deeney in refusing to train.

Sorry it's in the Mail.
I thought it was 1 player and 2 staff members at Watford ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here