Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Premier League / Football League attempts to finish the season

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
I thought it was 1 player and 2 staff members at Watford ?

Ah, it could well be – I was just alerted to the story/headline, I didn't read it in detail as I can't bear the Mail. Apologies if my post was misleading.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
Personally, I think the EPL bringing it in house would be the worse case scenario. I assume that you mean they will get subscibers direct. If that is the case, I would suggest that would strengthen the demands of the bigger clubs demanding a bigger slice as no doubt their games would attract more subscribers.

It may well be the worse case scenario for the viewer, but that’s certainly not the case for the EPL.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...f-extra-broadcast-rebates-tv-companies-season

To sum up.

PL clubs are contractually obliged to repay £300 to £350m to the TV companies anyway
Every week past July 16th the season goes on they have to repay another £36m
If it isn't completed they have to pay back £762m

Explains why they are prepared to move mountains to get these games on.

This absolutely stinks. As has been said before on this thread and elsewhere, the relationship between football and the broadcasters is quite disgusting, it’s got to change.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...f-extra-broadcast-rebates-tv-companies-season

To sum up.

PL clubs are contractually obliged to repay £300 to £350m to the TV companies anyway
Every week past July 16th the season goes on they have to repay another £36m
If it isn't completed they have to pay back £762m

Explains why they are prepared to move mountains to get these games on.

If the broadcasters screw over the clubs (and de facto the EPL at the same time), they kill their own golden goose. There will be some form of compromise.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
It may well be the worse case scenario for the viewer, but that’s certainly not the case for the EPL.

On the contrary, I think it will be the worse case scenario for clubs like Brighton. At the moment, broadcast revenue is pretty much split evenly but what happens when the likes of Liverpool and Man Utd start insisting on a much larger slice of the cake because their games attract a far bigger audience? The bigger their slice, the smaller ours.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Bit odd then that those running the PL and the EPL clubs were not astute enough to have a force majeure inserted into the contract with the broadcasters.

I thought they were pretty standard in major contracts. :shrug:

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Very short sighted from Sky and BT if you ask me.

One season left on the deal I believe, and if that’s the case I can only see the PL going down a VERY different path for the broadcasting rights going forward.... I’d imagine partnering with a streaming service like DAZN and cutting Sky and BT off

Would kill Sky TV

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Very short sighted from Sky and BT if you ask me.

One season left on the deal I believe, and if that’s the case I can only see the PL going down a VERY different path for the broadcasting rights going forward.... I’d imagine partnering with a streaming service like DAZN and cutting Sky and BT off

Would kill Sky TV

Yep, these companies need football as much as football needs them. As you say, sky would be dead without football.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
On the contrary, I think it will be the worse case scenario for clubs like Brighton. At the moment, broadcast revenue is pretty much split evenly but what happens when the likes of Liverpool and Man Utd start insisting on a much larger slice of the cake because their games attract a far bigger audience? The bigger their slice, the smaller ours.

I’m referring to the collective EPL organisation, not any individual club.

I agree it will benefit the bigger clubs for exactly the reason you have stated, ergo it will happen.

We clearly disagree on this as I see it as a no brainer for the league to continue to generate vast wealth. Additionally If the EPL were the broadcaster today, we wouldn’t be looking at the ludicrous situation football finds itself in today.

I don’t agree with it, for exactly the same reasons as you don’t. I just think money will drive the EPL that way.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
I’m referring to the collective EPL organisation, not any individual club.

I agree it will benefit the bigger clubs for exactly the reason you have stated, ergo it will happen.

We clearly disagree on this as I see it as a no brainer for the league to continue to generate vast wealth. Additionally If the EPL were the broadcaster today, we wouldn’t be looking at the ludicrous situation football finds itself in today.

I don’t agree with it, for exactly the same reasons as you don’t. I just think money will drive the EPL that way.

The EPL is already exploring the idea, with the Chief Executives of your and my clubs making up one half of the advisory group looking into it - The Premier League will launch a Netflix-style streaming service – it’s just a matter of when and where…

.. That view may change, though, and Masters said the league is continuing to build its expertise and has set up a “club broadcast advisory group” — comprised of the chief executives of Brighton & Hove Albion, Crystal Palace, Liverpool and Manchester United — to make sure everyone is on the same page. ..

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
The Platinumship

Liverpool
Man Utd
Man City
Arsenal
Chelsea
Spurs
Sheffield Wednesday

Play each other 3 times a season sponsored by Dazn Automatic .

One place up for grabs from the Newly formed Gargantuan league sponsored by The shopping channel .

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here