Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Premier League / Football League attempts to finish the season

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
So, question: from BBC sports website - players will be given contact training green
light soon.

I will be massively pissed off if that does not coincide with a relaxation of the
rules for us so that we can visit family and mingle. To the point where I would
happily support and actively create social unrest. You can't have one rule for those
****&rs and one for us.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
So, question: from BBC sports website - players will be given contact training green
light soon.

I will be massively pissed off if that does not coincide with a relaxation of the
happily support and actively create social unrest. You can't have one rule for those
****&rs and one for us.

Are you and your family being tested twice weekly?

Pierre the Painter

May 20, 2020
Ridiculous post. We should be afforded the same rights as anyone. What makes footballers special?
And please don't give me this bullshit about the public morale.

They're doing their job, the PL contributes over 3.5 billion in tax revenues for the government per year. The reasons for going back are as much financial as anything else, if you visiting your parents contributed vast sums for the economy directly and indirectly and you were able to get tested twice weekly in a fully regulated environment I dare say the government would be encouraging you to do that.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
They're doing their job, the PL contributes over 3.5 billion in tax revenues for the government per year. The reasons for going back are as much financial as anything else, if you visiting your parents contributed vast sums for the economy directly and indirectly and you were able to get tested twice weekly in a fully regulated environment I dare say the government would be encouraging you to do that.

So, money above public health? Nice one.

gazingdown

Feb 26, 2011
So the season is re-starting according to the latest club e-mail I just got.

"You may have recently seen the announcement that the remainder of 2019/20 Premier League season is to be played behind-closed doors."

I don't recall seeing this announcement?

Pierre the Painter

May 20, 2020
So, money above public health? Nice one.

If only it were that simple, health and safety isn't binary. If you simply put it the other way and had public health above money then no-one would go back to work and we wouldn;t have an economy to pay for public health, it's a trade off between the two.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
Looks like the EFL have decided to keep promotion and relegation and playoffs will still take place if season cannot be completed. Tables to be decided on unweighted PPG, Stevenage set to be relegated from the Football League. 51% of clubs across Championship, L1 and L2 need to agree to season being curtailed.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52758193

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
light soon.

****&rs and one for us.

67million people visiting each other and mingling is massively, massively, massively more dangerous than a small set group of people being allowed contact training within a heavily tested, controlled and monitored environment.

The two situations bear no comparison whatsoever, and I don't see the relevance.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Looks like the EFL have decided to keep promotion and relegation and playoffs will still take place if season cannot be completed. Tables to be decided on unweighted PPG, Stevenage set to be relegated from the Football League. 51% of clubs across Championship, L1 and L2 need to agree to season being curtailed.

In that piece on the BBC it states "Play-offs will also be played, but with no more than four teams."

Um, I thought the play-offs only involved 4 teams anyway :shrug:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
In that piece on the BBC it states "Play-offs will also be played, but with no more than four teams."

"Oi, Bristol City! We see you, trying to sneak into the play offs despite being in 7th! Get back down in the Championship."

Hey, can't blame a guy for trying, can ya?

schmunk

Centrist Dad
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex

four+goal+finishing.png

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton

Part of the Blue Sky/Out of the Box blah blah thinking involved 3 or 4 teams just outside the current play off positions making making a more equitable set of 8 teams (as mooted by 3 or 4 teams just outside the current play off positions).

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003

I'm guessing it's confirming they won't be expanding the playoffs in case any side thought they could try and put that option on the table.

The National League (and National League North/South) normally have 6 teams taking part in the play offs, but their seasons were finished a while back and it doesn't look like they are planning on having their playoffs. It looks like second place Harrogate will be promoted to League 2 along with Barrow, with just Stevenage being relegated to bring the EFL up to 72 sides again.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
A hammer blow to Leeds haters, the EFL’s vote today probably means they’re promoted back to the big time after a 16 year wait.

That’s assuming the Championship season isn’t fully played out and the PL doesn’t make itself a closed shop.

Will we be in the PL next season to face them?

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004

Surely the algorithm for final points should have an adjustment for Leeds rich history of bottling it in the run in

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here