Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Premier League / Football League attempts to finish the season

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
And of course, you have to look after yourself and your family. I'm lucky not to have lost my job, so will keep my ticket and hope to be able to watch as much from home as possible.

I think Brighton are well placed to survive this, despite our large cost base compared to our income. At worst, we have saleable playing assets which could tide us over. It's the clubs which were teetering on the brink before this which are going to start to topple. The biggest single predictor I think of whether clubs will survive or not is how the owners other business interests have been impacted. So to what degree will owners be willing or able to fund the losses up until we can get a stadium full of people again.

Any club (league) which doesn't have a televisable product is massively at risk. Outside of the EPL the market for televised football is minuscule (with the obvious exception of Leeds!). I can't see how most football league clubs are going to survive if the whole of 20/21 needs to be behind closed doors. Maybe some of the very smallest, who have very low wage bills and a wealthy local business person to tide them over? Otherwise it looks very grim.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Hard to argue with Deeney’s comments.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Exactly. He doesn’t even have children. Or a wife. It’s all weasley pathetic diversion and excuses deliberately made up to stop THE MIGHTY LEEDS getting into the PL.

Watford should be ASHAMED.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What I don't understand is that nobody is TALKING about the most important and MASSIVE club in the World.

All the Sheffield Wednesday [emoji23] fans I have spoken to want the season binned OFF.

Surely this opinion should TRUMP any other and it's then a DONE deal?

What are the FA playing AT!?

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
If spectators can’t attend next season either then I want to can my season ticket but am expecting a fight from the club as the terms are clear that once signed up on the direct debit scheme I am liable for the full amount.

I am expecting some kind of virtual season ticket offering via the existing broadcasters such that they carry on televising c100-130 games a season but STH of all clubs can log on to a special site and access all games at say 50% cost of an actual ticket with maybe 30-50% of that amount going to the clubs. Again, not for me when my wife has no income and my job might go the same way at any moment.

Seems harsh to make.that judgement before such decisions are taken. The club have on the whole done the right thing so far so.whilst I.share your concerns I'm willing to wait and see before damning them .

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
And of course, you have to look after yourself and your family. I'm lucky not to have lost my job, so will keep my ticket and hope to be able to watch as much from home as possible.

I think Brighton are well placed to survive this, despite our large cost base compared to our income. At worst, we have saleable playing assets which could tide us over. It's the clubs which were teetering on the brink before this which are going to start to topple. The biggest single predictor I think of whether clubs will survive or not is how the owners other business interests have been impacted. So to what degree will owners be willing or able to fund the losses up until we can get a stadium full of people again.

Absolutely. I’m watching with interest clubs like West Ham where their revised no stadium ownership model makes them look really vulnerable or perhaps say even dare I say Spurs who are leveraged to the gills.

Sure both have wealthy owners who could plug a gap I just wonder in the case of Spurs whether as a pure business man Joe Lewis might cut his losses and run and Gold/Sullivan have possibly the same motive in mind given they pocketed £14m personally from the sale of the Boleyn.

Interesting times.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Seems harsh to make.that judgement before such decisions are taken. The club have on the whole done the right thing so far so.whilst I.share your concerns I'm willing to wait and see before damning them .

You’ve slightly misinterpreted my angle here - no blame on the club if that’s the way it goes, I expect them to have a self serving interest.

Refunding five games per STH is one thing but swallowing the whole cost of all 19 home games next season entirely another.

I will just mean for me personally I cannot have that continued outlay with no chance of recouping any through the season ticket exchange so would simply cancel now were it not for the contract.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
You’ve slightly misinterpreted my angle here - no blame on the club if that’s the way it goes, I expect them to have a self serving interest.

Refunding five games per STH is one thing but swallowing the whole cost of all 19 home games next season entirely another.

I will just mean for me personally I cannot have that continued outlay with no chance of recouping any through the season ticket exchange so would simply cancel now were it not for the contract.

Sorry. Got you now

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Deeney: "I can't get a haircut until mid-July but I can go and get in a box with 19 people and go and jump for a header and nobody could answer the questions, not because they didn't want to, just because they don't know the information."

JULY!!!!!!

Me in July

haight-hippie.jpg

BRING

IT

ON.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Hard to argue with Deeney’s comments.

It is hard to argue against it.

However, footballers are still expecting to be paid. Nobody else in the country is expecting that they will be paid, for not performing their duties for an extended period of time, (and the conditions won't be significantly different for an extended period of time)

Troy is made for life. If he has legitimate health concerns for his family, he can walk away from his contract and do something else. Watford can't and won't force him onto a pitch.

I doubt he'll do this. None of them will.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Absolutely. I’m watching with interest clubs like West Ham where their revised no stadium ownership model makes them look really vulnerable or perhaps say even dare I say Spurs who are leveraged to the gills.

Sure both have wealthy owners who could plug a gap I just wonder in the case of Spurs whether as a pure business man Joe Lewis might cut his losses and run and Gold/Sullivan have possibly the same motive in mind given they pocketed £14m personally from the sale of the Boleyn.

Interesting times.

Hope so, hope so when it comes to levy

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Any club (league) which doesn't have a televisable product is massively at risk. Outside of the EPL the market for televised football is minuscule (with the obvious exception of Leeds!). I can't see how most football league clubs are going to survive if the whole of 20/21 needs to be behind closed doors. Maybe some of the very smallest, who have very low wage bills and a wealthy local business person to tide them over? Otherwise it looks very grim.

I think that what is televisable has changed. Each club in the league has a week in, week out hardcore of at least a few thousand. I believe a good proportion would buy season tickets to see all their clubs games on TV at 3pm on Saturday at a price comparable to a matchday ticket.

I would have done when Brighton were terrible and at the bottom of league 2. Not because I thought I was getting value for money, but because I wanted to save my club, so that in the future I could go to see my local club at my local ground again.

Crucially a season ticket could also entitle you to watch the away games as well. So for example a £300 ish ST, could entitle you to watch all 46 of your clubs games at 3pm on Saturday. Not terrible value. It could just get some clubs over the line and prevent the collapse if the entire pyramid.

HalfaSeatOn

Mar 17, 2014
North West Sussex
I think that what is televisable has changed. Each club in the league has a week in, week out hardcore of at least a few thousand. I believe a good proportion would buy season tickets to see all their clubs games on TV at 3pm on Saturday at a price comparable to a matchday ticket.

I would have done when Brighton were terrible and at the bottom of league 2. Not because I thought I was getting value for money, but because I wanted to save my club, so that in the future I could go to see my local club at my local ground again.

Crucially a season ticket could also entitle you to watch the away games as well. So for example a £300 ish ST, could entitle you to watch all 46 of your clubs games at 3pm on Saturday. Not terrible value. It could just get some clubs over the line and prevent the collapse if the entire pyramid.

Would you make this optional? Business models are certainly going to change.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away

Interesting times.

Premier League wise, yes, both Spurs and West Ham will urgently be seeking credit to cover their colossal costs

If this Newcastle deal falls though they could be in trouble, purely because Ashley's other interests are getting battered and if he's going to save one, it might be the one where he doesn't get dogs abuse every week.

Palace, I'm not gloating as I don't want any club to go under, but they've got an incredible wage bill, a good few on over £100k p/w.

You can't not worry about clubs like Everton, Bournemouth a bit.

To me, it all comes down to the owners and who is prepared and able to subsidise losses over a long period of time. It could be to do with liquidity and the loans they can access. It could be to do with the performance and outlook of their other business interests.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Would you make this optional? Business models are certainly going to change.

I suppose it's for each club to determine what they do.

But yes, if I owned one, I'd write to them all, saying you can have a refund however if you want a club to come back to, then accept a televised package giving you access to all home and away games.

Clearly they would have to work out the logistics with the set up. And if a TV company was used then they would want some sort of cut, however technology is improving. For example our youth games are streamed (no tv company involved so there are options) and the camerawork is perfectly good and the commentary is perfectly good. Employ a washed up ex pro to do a bit of half time analysis. Tie it in with some social media comments. It could work and the set up costs aren't ridiculous.

Now our club has a rich owner and a fancy training ground etc, it's very easy to forget the sick to the stomach feeling we all felt with we thought we were going to lose our club. Thousands are going through this at the moment (not as bad as the illness I know). I believe people will come together to support their clubs, rather than risk not having a club to come back to.

Got to be a better bet than just burning through the cash until it's gone.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here