Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Premier League / Football League attempts to finish the season

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
It just shows that the next TV deal will have to include a "disaster clause" to stop the TV companies forcing teams to play when everything still isn't safe.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Disastrous figures. But if the season doesn't finish, the TV companies will accommodate the PL as they have now become embroiled in a very unwholesome symbiotic relationship.

Seemingly not so far, the 20 clubs given the message in discussions with the broadcasters that the money really is repayable, hence the determination of Bloom, Parish et seq. to see this season through.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
[MENTION=3385]crodonilson[/MENTION]

Thoughts on the question I asked you earlier on? Genuinely interested, not sniping.

I honestly don't know, it's a very fair question. On one hand a player can get injured and a club can be deprived of their service and a player with their power can go on strike these days and withdraw their services or play within themselves if they know they are moving on in the summer BUT with all the questions of integrity a key player in a relegation threatened team upping sticks to move to their new club and skewing their former employers chances purely because the season goes beyond the current deadline doesn't sit well with me even though they would not be eligible for their new club.

Other than Fraser, looking at the clubs at the bottom and their players out of contract I can't see any other situations similar in fact most players will be desperate to stay at their clubs beyond their current end date as post covid the vast majority of current players will struggle to earn what they do now and the players in the summer will be the first to find this out and for many their future will be uncertain as there is very little transfer activity at the moment given all the uncertainty.

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
I honestly don't know, it's a very fair question. On one hand a player can get injured and a club can be deprived of their service and a player with their power can go on strike these days and withdraw their services or play within themselves if they know they are moving on in the summer BUT with all the questions of integrity a key player in a relegation threatened team upping sticks to move to their new club and skewing their former employers chances purely because the season goes beyond the current deadline doesn't sit well with me even though they would not be eligible for their new club.

Other than Fraser, looking at the clubs at the bottom and their players out of contract I can't see any other situations similar in fact most players will be desperate to stay at their clubs beyond their current end date as post covid the vast majority of current players will struggle to earn what they do now and the players in the summer will be the first to find this out and for many their future will be uncertain as there is very little transfer activity at the moment given all the uncertainty.

Fair enough.

FWIW, I think Fraser will find a way round it if Spurs do really want him. The backlash he’d receive for turning his back on Bournemouth would be too much.

The Chelsea squad is the most interesting one for it - Giroud, Willian and Pedro all have contracts expiring.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
I’d recommend watching tonight’s episode of Last Week Tonight with John Oliver. Although his section was about the pressure to return sport in the United States, all the same issues raised throughout this thread apply. I mean, John Oliver is a Liverpool fan and even he struggles to see a practical way out of this situation. As he says... “sport has the power to bring people together but unfortunately that is exactly what we don’t need right now”.

Also, his solution to those thirsting for competitive sport is absolute genius.

At this point somebody always asks for a link. This was only broadcast in the UK ten minutes ago but YouTube has done its stuff. Just jump to about 18 minutes for the business end...

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Fair enough, you are entitled to your opinion and you won't be the only one but if the Bundesliga is anything to go by with record viewing figures this weekend there are plenty more who will find a return to competitive sport, with horse racing to start even earlier too and cricket to follow, a welcome distraction. Football behind closed doors is a pretty soul destroying soulless experience in normal times, and whilst it won't be a patch on the game we usually love it will be better than nothing and something we will have to get used to unless we are advocating football not returning for potentially several years.

Record viewing figures compared to the PL then impressive, however, if it means record viewing figures for the Bundesliga then that's not a big deal. I should think that the number of people who usually watch that is probably like a Bournemouth or Palace attendance.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Seemingly not so far, the 20 clubs given the message in discussions with the broadcasters that the money really is repayable, hence the determination of Bloom, Parish et seq. to see this season through.

Do you think the TV companies would want their cash cow harmed so much that the PL was overtaken by La Liga etc? They depend upon creating a fake aura of desirability and give the impression that it is a league like no other. Pretty hard to do that if the clubs are impoverished.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Do you think the TV companies would want their cash cow harmed so much that the PL was overtaken by La Liga etc? They depend upon creating a fake aura of desirability and give the impression that it is a league like no other. Pretty hard to do that if the clubs are impoverished.

I agree about the faux product, a marketing smoke and mirrors dreamed up in 1992. It worked, a load of punters talk as if football started then.

A personal view, these broadcasting contracts might be the financial high water mark for the PL, and also for your average PL player.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Interesting view - certainly games against relegation rivals are going to be hard-fought, even in an empty stadium. I see that West Ham have Norwich, Villa and Watford still to play....

I fear that the Liverpool and Citeh matches will be bl00dy tough, regardless.

Under normal circumstances I would agree with you. But there really is nothing for either of the big 2 to play for at that point.
Add in the effect of an empty stadium, and Corona Virus. It really will be a big ask for either of them to be in any way up for the game.

Compare that with when we would have played them, with Liverpool on a roll and City looking to prove themselves still and us on a terrible run.

We really are in a much better position now.
It's all down to Potter bringing the squad back to the level we were at at the start of the season

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
https://www.skysports.com/football/...mid-concerns-for-sons-health-and-bame-players

Watford captain Troy Deeney has said he will not return to training this week amid concerns for his own son's health, as well as that of BAME players.

Premier League clubs unanimously voted in favour of resuming training in small groups from Tuesday as English football's top tier plots its return to action amid the coronavirus pandemic.

Watford players are expected back on Wednesday at the earliest, but Deeney has said he is unwilling to train in the current circumstances, citing concerns he raised during a Premier League meeting featuring all 20 captains.

"We're due back in this week. I've said I'm not going in. It's nothing to do with financial gain," Deeney said on Eddie Hearn and Tony Bellew's Talk The Talk podcast. "When I go into full detail about my personal situation, everyone here will go 'no problem'.

"My son is five months and he's had breathing difficulties. I don't want to come home and put him in more danger. You've got to drive in in your own kit, you can't have showers, then drive back in the same dirty kit you've got.

"If I'm putting my clothing in with my son's or my missus' it's more likely to be in the house."

Along with West Ham captain Mark Noble, Deeney voiced his Project Restart concerns last week, and the 31-year-old reiterated those doubts to Hearn and Bellew while adding the proposed June 12 restart is too soon - a date Premier League chief executive Richard Masters says they remain flexible over.

"Within the meeting I asked very simple questions. For Black, Asian and mixed ethnicities they are four times more likely to get the illness and we're twice as likely to have long lasting illnesses," Deeney said.

"Is there any additional screening? Heart stuff to see if people have got problems? No. Okay, well I feel like that should be addressed.

"If going forward, in phase two and three, which are going into smaller groups of three to six people, is there a clear layout if we hit certain targets then we will transition into 11 v 11? No, it's six days of this, seven days of that, then a week until you're playing.

"They want the first game to be June 12, so we're only like three-and-a-half weeks away from that, so my thing is the transition is really fast.

"While we are being tested and while we are going to be in a very safe environment, it only takes one person in the group. I don't want to be bringing that home."

Deeney also backed up his claim from last week that he would rather have money taken off him than put his family at risk.

He said: "I just said the simplest thing. I can't get a haircut until mid-July, but I can go and get in a box with 19 people and jump for a header. I don't know how that works. No one could answer the questions, not because they didn't want to, but because they don't know the information.

"I just said 'If you don't know the information, why would I put myself at risk?'.

"I've lost my dad, my gran, my granddad... I've more or less everyone that I care about. So that, to me, is more important than a few quid in my back pocket."

(link includes 'analysis' from gary neville and jamie carragher, and some other bits if you're interested)

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
https://www.skysports.com/football/...mid-concerns-for-sons-health-and-bame-players

Watford captain Troy Deeney has said he will not return to training this week amid concerns for his own son's health, as well as that of BAME players.

"I've lost my dad, my gran, my granddad... I've more or less everyone that I care about. So that, to me, is more important than a few quid in my back pocket."

(link includes 'analysis' from gary neville and jamie carragher, and some other bits if you're interested)

Strong and sensible words from Troy. I'm sure the Premier League will ignore him.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Premier League clubs unanimously voted in favour of resuming training in small groups from Tuesday as English football's top tier plots its return to action amid the coronavirus pandemic.

Watford players are expected back on Wednesday at the earliest, but Deeney has said he is unwilling to train in the current circumstances, citing concerns he raised during a Premier League meeting featuring all 20 captains.

"We're due back in this week. I've said I'm not going in. It's nothing to do with financial gain," Deeney said on Eddie Hearn and Tony Bellew's Talk The Talk podcast. "When I go into full detail about my personal situation, everyone here will go 'no problem'.

"My son is five months and he's had breathing difficulties. I don't want to come home and put him in more danger. You've got to drive in in your own kit, you can't have showers, then drive back in the same dirty kit you've got.

"If I'm putting my clothing in with my son's or my missus' it's more likely to be in the house."

Along with West Ham captain Mark Noble, Deeney voiced his Project Restart concerns last week, and the 31-year-old reiterated those doubts to Hearn and Bellew while adding the proposed June 12 restart is too soon - a date Premier League chief executive Richard Masters says they remain flexible over.

"Within the meeting I asked very simple questions. For Black, Asian and mixed ethnicities they are four times more likely to get the illness and we're twice as likely to have long lasting illnesses," Deeney said.

"Is there any additional screening? Heart stuff to see if people have got problems? No. Okay, well I feel like that should be addressed.

"If going forward, in phase two and three, which are going into smaller groups of three to six people, is there a clear layout if we hit certain targets then we will transition into 11 v 11? No, it's six days of this, seven days of that, then a week until you're playing.

"They want the first game to be June 12, so we're only like three-and-a-half weeks away from that, so my thing is the transition is really fast.

"While we are being tested and while we are going to be in a very safe environment, it only takes one person in the group. I don't want to be bringing that home."

Deeney also backed up his claim from last week that he would rather have money taken off him than put his family at risk.

He said: "I just said the simplest thing. I can't get a haircut until mid-July, but I can go and get in a box with 19 people and jump for a header. I don't know how that works. No one could answer the questions, not because they didn't want to, but because they don't know the information.

"I just said 'If you don't know the information, why would I put myself at risk?'.

Good for him - he's not going to be the last to speak out. Talkshite (Jordan) saying that Deeney should go and live in a hotel away from his family for the period 'to meet his obligations', and that if he wants to maintain this position he should forgo his pay (which is pretty much what Deeney has actually said where the money is concerned)

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Strong and sensible words from Troy. I'm sure the Premier League will ignore him.

His point about getting a haircut is never addressed properly by those who want to be entertained with a football match at any cost. Testing does not address it at the frequency that is proposed, with the error potential of the test kits and with the time taken to produce the results.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
His point about getting a haircut is never addressed properly by those who want to be entertained with a football match at any cost. Testing does not address it at the frequency that is proposed, with the error potential of the test kits and with the time taken to produce the results.

We need the football to distract us. Simples.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

With his particular set of circumstances one can understand his position and I can’t see how you can argue against it..doesn’t necessarily mean that it applies to all though....also good to see that he is prepared to take a pay cut....something that I think most players are going to have to accept for the game to survive

Last edited:

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
With his particular set of circumstances one can understand his position and I can’t see how you can argue against it..doesn’t necessarily mean that it applies to all though.

But doesn’t that contaminate the outcome of the season even more if continued ? He won’t be the only one with a set of circumstances that make him particularly risk averse. Why should the final outcome be affected by whether or not a club has one or several of such players ? Troy Deeney is immensely important to Watford.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
But doesn’t that contaminate the outcome of the season even more if continued ? He won’t be the only one with a set of circumstances that make him particularly risk averse. Why should the final outcome be affected by whether or not a club has one or several of such players ? Troy Deeney is immensely important to Watford.

Like to come up with an alternative that is acceptable to everyone and totally perfect? I havnt come across one yet

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Like to come up with an alternative that is acceptable to everyone and totally perfect? I havnt come across one yet

It doesn’t exist, as we both know. That doesn’t mean that opponents of the restart should roll over. I think it needs to be opposed until binned. All efforts need to be expended on preparations for next season, to be started when infection and death rates are significantly lower. Football finances need a radically different approach going forward with significantly lower spending. We don’t need to be watching the best players in the world in order to enjoy a day out at the Albion.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
It doesn’t exist, as we both know. That doesn’t mean that opponents of the restart should roll over. I think it needs to be opposed until binned. All efforts need to be expended on preparations for next season, to be started when infection and death rates are significantly lower. Football finances need a radically different approach going forward with significantly lower spending. We don’t need to be watching the best players in the world in order to enjoy a day out at the Albion.

How fair is it that the season should be binned? There are going to be clubs disadvantaged whatever way we turn.

Where we can agree is re football finances at the top, which have been ridiculous for a fair while as everyone knows.....maybe some good will come out of this horrible virus ...although whilst we don’t need to see the best players to enjoy watching Brighton ...I’d quite like too!

Ps ..I don’t think I’ve said opponents should roll over...in fact on this thread I think I might be in vocal minority...just having my own say

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here