Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Premier League / Football League attempts to finish the season

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
This report says the neutral grounds idea has been abandoned but not sure if this is official

Annotation 2020-05-18 145120.jpg

https://www.leeds-live.co.uk/sport/leeds-united/leeds-live-premier-league-meeting-18268147

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Reports suggesting that any player who tests positive will isolate for 7 days, so the 'whole squad having to isolate' thing has been ditched.

Just need to ditch the neutral grounds idea and agree a start date now -12th or 19th June :clap2:

Oh, what a relief!

What could possibly go wrong now.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
BBC are reporting that Ryan Fraser is lining up a move to Spurs on 1st July (his current contract will end on 30th June). Nothing that Bournemouth can do to stop it....
He probably won't be able to play for Spurs this season, but is no doubt happy to put his feet up until the 20/21 campaign.

Good news for all the teams at the foot of the league ( except Bournemouth ).

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
How can this possibly work with players allegedly flying to other countries to have sex parties, others inviting complete strangers around their houses and others out and about as if nothings wrong. I don't even sit, socially distanced, from my neighbours and I know they've been as observant as we have. Players who have maintained this level of adherence are going up for corners with someone who could have the virus, beggers belief! Oh yeah, monitoring, social distancing, isolation, testing ... yes, working well so far. Knock it on the head and crack on with starting again next season when its' safe to do so.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
BBC are reporting that Ryan Fraser is lining up a move to Spurs on 1st July (his current contract will end on 30th June). Nothing that Bournemouth can do to stop it....

He won't be eligible for any games in this season, if this is true it stinks that Tottingham were happy to put all non playing staff on furlough to avoid picking up the bill themselves but they are happy to pay Ryan Fraser north of #50k a week when he won't be eligible for a couple of months at least. It's not desirable but I guess it would be like a player signing a pre contract agreement with a club abroad (as they can currently can do within 6 months of his contract ending) but Bournemouth retaining his services for the remainder of this season. Bournemouth won't be able to force him to play but given player power these days nor could they force him to play in a normal scenario if he wanted to kick up a stink to force through a move.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
That website is generic rubbish. A couple of days ago I looked at an article that had been entitled something like 'PL takes action that will break Leeds hearts' and the article was absolutely nothing to do with the clickbait title.

Possibly linking to this Mirror story which suggests home grounds now seen as more likely (presumably partly due to Bundesliga experience at the weekend)

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/premier-leagues-extra-time-plan-22042695

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
He won't be eligible for any games in this season, if this is true it stinks that Tottingham were happy to put all non playing staff on furlough to avoid picking up the bill themselves but they are happy to pay Ryan Fraser north of #50k a week when he won't be eligible for a couple of months at least. It's not desirable but I guess it would be like a player signing a pre contract agreement with a club abroad (as they can currently can do within 6 months of his contract ending) but Bournemouth retaining his services for the remainder of this season. Bournemouth won't be able to force him to play but given player power these days nor could they force him to play in a normal scenario if he wanted to kick up a stink to force through a move.

Hypothetically if a player like Fraser does just this, does your stance change?

Would be very unfair on Bournemouth.

Imagine if we had Dunk in the same situation, we’d be livid.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Hypothetically if a player like Fraser does just this, does your stance change?

Would be very unfair on Bournemouth.

Imagine if we had Dunk in the same situation, we’d be livid.
I'd be seething now if I was a Bournemouth fan.

I suppose our worst case at present is if Villa offered Schelotto a multi-year deal.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
what time is the official verdict of this meeting ?

Sounds very much like a restart .

Have to say , does seem a no brainer all things considered

Something to watch at last . . however souless

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
what time is the official verdict of this meeting ?

Sounds very much like a restart .

Have to say , does seem a no brainer all things considered

Something to watch at last . . however souless

Obviously everyone’s personal circumstances will be different - furloughed, working from home, retired etc but I really can’t think of anything I want to do less than watch piped noise from empty grounds and walking pace sleepy football whilst people are still dying.

Not for me Clive.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
They'll restart, get a couple of games in, and then abandon it.

Unfortunately, Albion will have fallen into the bottom 3 due to these 2 games, meaning the Albion's litigation machine will be rolling into action.

The rules of who has the toughest run in are massively changed.
Many mid-table teams will have players who won't be motivated for these games.

A home game against Arsenal is just about the best 1st game you could pick for us to be honest.
The United game might be trickier, depending on what the view is on Champions League places by that point.
by the time we play Liverpool and City, they will have nothing to play for.
Norwich is probably our toughest game left.

I think the Covid-19 break will probably benefit us more than most.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Reports suggesting that any player who tests positive will isolate for 7 days, so the 'whole squad having to isolate' thing has been ditched.

Just need to ditch the neutral grounds idea and agree a start date now -12th or 19th June :clap2:

Yeah, brilliant - right up to the point someone living with a player dies as a result of that player picking up the infection from an opponent or team-mate that didn't isolate eh ?

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
The rules of who has the toughest run in are massively changed.
Many mid-table teams will have players who won't be motivated for these games.

A home game against Arsenal is just about the best 1st game you could pick for us to be honest.
The United game might be trickier, depending on what the view is on Champions League places by that point.
by the time we play Liverpool and City, they will have nothing to play for.
Norwich is probably our toughest game left.

I think the Covid-19 break will probably benefit us more than most.

Interesting view - certainly games against relegation rivals are going to be hard-fought, even in an empty stadium. I see that West Ham have Norwich, Villa and Watford still to play....

I fear that the Liverpool and Citeh matches will be bl00dy tough, regardless.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Yeah, brilliant - right up to the point someone living with a player dies as a result of that player picking up the infection from an opponent or team-mate that didn't isolate eh ?

can apply it to all walks of lives. If someone goes to the office and gets symptoms then the whole company doesnt isolate.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
They'll restart, get a couple of games in, and then abandon it.

Unfortunately, Albion will have fallen into the bottom 3 due to these 2 games, meaning the Albion's litigation machine will be rolling into action.

I suspect that if the league does restart, they will already have agreed what will happen if it is then abandoned again. That might be positions as they are now, weighted points as they are now, average points or whatever. I believe there is a meeting tomorrow to discuss how the season might be worked out if it is abandoned.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here