Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Premier League / Football League attempts to finish the season

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Because I like it.

I don't want us to be relegated, but like winning and losing, it's just a part of football, I've seen us go down 5 times and probably, i'll see it happen again. There are also way more important issues in football than whether one team goes up or down at the moment.

Or indeed, as I would claim, more important issues than football itself.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Guinness Boy: do you think there will be relegation included in the conditions if it does restart? The point I'm making is that it might be all well and dandy sitting at home watching the Albion, but we stand a serious chance of relegation and for what? A short-term, money-based nonsense.

The only reason it will continue is to settle relegation and the Champions League places, and officially crown Liverpool as champions.

Ostensibly these are three good reasons for it not restarting but I'd like to know what people's solutions to deciding those positions are if it doesn't. If use of a form table is involved we may go down anyway.

We also need to be aware there is every chance of the Germans restarting behind closed doors, potentially skewing the European timetable, including Euro 2021, as it now is. I certainly do not want Euro 2021 called off once all this shite is over because all the leagues are out of kilter, just because Brighton are incapable of defending 15th.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Like most on here, been watching football live and on TV since I can remember.

Watched many games over the years, do the aways still yet I can honestly say empty football has little interest to me.

Football to me is the moment, mad screaming fans and the delight when goals are scored. Players and fans interact at such moments, and those highs, probably 2 or 3 a game, make the sport what it is imho. I've always thought that football is so popular because of those rare moments, compared to rugby for example where it's like basketball to some extent. You score, we score.

Watching players score, pat each other on the head from 2m then jog back to the centre circle in an echoing stadium holds little appeal right now.

Agree BHD won't be anything like the 'real thing', but for me it'll be better than nowt............I guess goal celebrations (I know, getting ahead of myself a bit here) will be very much involve running to the nearest camera...........

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Hundreds still dying each day and the PL still has its head in the sand.

Unbelievable lack of touch with the real world.

DIY chains have opened for non-essential so that people can pursue their hobbies, cafes have reopened for take away cakes and refreshments, fast food chains have reopened for people to get their non-essential fix of cholesterol. By mid May non-essential small shops and beauty salons may well have the green light too.

Football, only with government permission, MIGHT restart later than all those.

Life in the UK is and will slowly get back to normality, even though everyone is sad about people losing their lives to covid19.

Why beat professional football with a stick, when other non-essential sectors are reopening too with barely a murmur?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Unless the games are free-to-air, which won't make the broadcasters any money, there will be a great deal of people ignoring the social distancing protocols. Not everyone can afford Sky/BT, and a mate or family member from another household may have it. The temptation will prove too great to watch with others of a like mind.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
DIY chains have opened for non-essential so that people can pursue their hobbies, cafes have reopened for take away cakes and refreshments, fast food chains have reopened for people to get their non-essential fix of cholesterol. By mid May non-essential small shops and beauty salons may well have the green light too.

Football, only with government permission, MIGHT restart later than all those.

Life in the UK is and will slowly get back to normality, even though everyone is sad about people losing their lives to covid19.

Why beat professional football with a stick, when other non-essential sectors are reopening too with barely a murmur?

Because professional football, or any football for that matter, clearly contravenes social distancing rules that we are ALL being told to follow - it just doesn't make sense, and would set a very poor example and would bring all the idiots out in their hundreds for kickabouts in the local parks!

Why should professional footballers be any different to the rest of us?

To be honest, no-one is beating football with a big stick, yes some people had it in for footballers and their wages for a while, but that seems to have passed.

ALL sports have been hit by this, not just football, and all other sports appear to accept that a return to competition is months away!

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Because professional football, or any football for that matter, clearly contravenes social distancing rules that we are ALL being told to follow - it just doesn't make sense, and would set a very poor example and would bring all the idiots out in their hundreds for kickabouts in the local parks!

In the supermarkets, cafes and take-aways just now, staff are actively working and chatting next to each other without face masks, as are builders.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
In the supermarkets, cafes and take-aways just now, staff are actively working and chatting next to each other without face masks, as are builders.

That, I'm guessing is their choice, and not so to provide entertain to others, as is the case with football!

They SHOULD be socially distancing, the fact they elect not to just further proves my point, that you can't be seen to show people that it is OK to come into close contact with someone, while playing sport, then tell them they shouldn't be doing that when going about their daily business.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away

To be honest, no-one is beating football with a big stick, yes some people had it in for footballers and their wages for a while, but that seems to have passed.

ALL sports have been hit by this, not just football, and all other sports appear to accept that a return to competition is months away!

With other countries starting to relax some guidelines it is likely that more and more limited exemptions to the social distancing rules will be introduced in the coming months. You could make some sort of case that sportspeople are in professions that can't work from home.

In any case, you're right to suggest that there are at present medical and public heath reasons why football shouldn't be played. In a month or so this may not be the case.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

Since when did two wrongs make a right?

ForestRowSeagull

Jan 6, 2011
Now Brixton
I'm baffled by people seemingly intimating they'd rather no football and lots of clubs folding, rather than temporary behind-closed-doors football and less clubs folding.

OBVIOUSLY safety is paramount - but as soon as it is safe, yes please football.

I'm not sure this is the case though; indeed Andy Holt (accrington chairman) has argued the opposite in that playing behind closed doors would lead to them folding, opposed to curtailing the league and being able to 'shutdown' the club (furlough all but a few staff etc) and start up again when they can function properly. This obviously changes as we get higher up the pyramid as match day revenue becomes less and less relevant vs TV money.

EDIT: I see reports that France have canned the season are coming in. Announcement expected soon.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Agreed. And it's not all about football, contrary to what some people in the media seem to think.

Yes, county cricket clubs, many who've been around even longer than their local football teams are at risk. Rugby clubs also could be going under.

Also our individual sports bodies, governing, for example, snooker, darts, tennis F1 and many others, are all highly reliant on event income.

Sports administrators generally operate under a culture of spend everything there is for short term success, meaning there's little left for a rainy day (and it's p***ing down)

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Unless the games are free-to-air, which won't make the broadcasters any money, there will be a great deal of people ignoring the social distancing protocols. Not everyone can afford Sky/BT, and a mate or family member from another household may have it. The temptation will prove too great to watch with others of a like mind.

Even at the earliest we are probably about 6 weeks away now from a return to PL football, by then I'd expect there will begin to be some restrictions to the social distancing lifted including small family/friends gatherings. Also most non essential shops will be open and schools will be likely to be very close to or will be open albeit with smaller class sizes and pupils attending on different days. The facts are cocronavirus isn't going away anytime soon, for the sake of the economy we have to start getting back to a semblance of normaility and sport including PL football will follow suit, it's not going to be the same as it was before for a while but in some form, finacially and for many people emotionally, it will be better than nothing.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
With other countries starting to relax some guidelines it is likely that more and more limited exemptions to the social distancing rules will be introduced in the coming months. You could make some sort of case that sportspeople are in professions that can't work from home.

In any case, you're right to suggest that there are at present medical and public heath reasons why football shouldn't be played. In a month or so this may not be the case.

Agree, I guess it's because we all live our lives here on a football forum, that we see all these desperate calls to get football back on track.

I am not sure the same could be said if you ask the man on the street, who may feel there are far more pressing demands and needs for the country at this time...

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
I'm not sure this is the case though; indeed Andy Holt (accrington chairman) has argued the opposite in that playing behind closed doors would lead to them folding, opposed to curtailing the league and being able to 'shutdown' the club (furlough all but a few staff etc) and start up again when they can function properly. This obviously changes as we get higher up the pyramid as match day revenue becomes less and less relevant vs TV money.

The simple answer there is ALL Premier League clubs should be taking their snouts out of the trough for a while and create a fund for clubs within the EFL to stop any from going belly up at this difficult time. That would surely solve the Accrington scenario.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003

It certainly isn't just football that is looking to return and making plans. F1 are looking to start in July behind closed doors, with 2 races being planned for Silverstone in late July. Rugby Union is also making plans to try and finish the Premiership season starting in July. Horse racing are also looking at ways of running socially distanced race meets. Other sports will be discussing plans even if those plans haven't yet made the media.

ForestRowSeagull

Jan 6, 2011
Now Brixton
The simple answer there is ALL Premier League clubs should be taking their snouts out of the trough for a while and create a fund for clubs within the EFL to stop any from going belly up at this difficult time. That would surely solve the Accrington scenario.

Chances of that happening are probably slimmer than me copping off with Kiera Knightley though. Also most PL clubs don't turn a profit despite the crazy TV deals. The system is broken somewhat and now could be a good time for a reset.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here