Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Premier League / Football League attempts to finish the season

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
We made a £20m loss last year. Palace pay wages 107% of their income

All figures are approximate as I can't remember them. The point is, most Premier League clubs aren't making a lot of money in the good times let alone now.

Now the chairmen are mostly loaded. But they can't be forced to put their hands in their pockets for lower league clubs and more than you or I could.

They could do it out of generosity, but given that 4 tried to furlough low paid staff, it's not a promising start.

How about reducing the amount they pay/pay for players. Start to cut their cloth accordingly. The way football is financed at the moment can't continue, clearly modern football, not just in the UK, has been built on foundations of sand.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I cannot see football re-starting until social distancing stops given it is a contact sport.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
From the BBC report it seems as though the decision has been taken by the government rather than the League/Clubs. I doubt our government would go down that route.

No, because our government like to leave the important decisions to others, like football stopping in the first place, then they can't be blamed or held responsible in any way!

mrjon1976

Found bliss in ignorance
Jul 25, 2011
gravesend
given that the French league has now ended, my personal view is that it is almost immoral to restart the Premier League in any form until next season. 500+ people a day are losing their lives - I really hope that the government make the right call is telling them to end the season now

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
How about reducing the amount they pay/pay for players. Start to cut their cloth accordingly. The way football is financed at the moment can't continue, clearly modern football, not just in the UK, has been built on foundations of sand.

It has and I agree. Clubs should pay players less, both now and in the longer term. Though they can't be forced to take pay cuts as they have valid contracts and clubs won't do it as they are incentivised to finish as high up the league as possible.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
From the BBC report it seems as though the decision has been taken by the government rather than the League/Clubs. I doubt our government would go down that route.

Culture Secretary Oliver Dowden said he has been in contact with clubs about restarting the Premier League "as soon as possible".

"I personally have been in talks with the Premier League with a view to getting football up and running as soon as possible in order to support the whole football community," Dowden said during a parliamentary questions session for the Department of Digital, Culture, Media and Sport,

"But, of course, any such moves would have to be consistent with public health guidance."

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
It has and I agree. Clubs should pay players less, both now and in the longer term. Though they can't be forced to take pay cuts as they have valid contracts and clubs won't do it as they are incentivised to finish as high up the league as possible.

Clubs have to man up and tell players that when their contracts run out they won't get the same lucrative terms, clearly there will be some clubs, like Manchester City, who will be able to ignore that, due to the way they are financed, but to be honest, that is no different to at present.

Let them buy the league each year if they want, but at least things could return to a more normal level for the rest.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Culture Secretary Oliver Dowden said he has been in contact with clubs about restarting the Premier League "as soon as possible".

"I personally have been in talks with the Premier League with a view to getting football up and running as soon as possible in order to support the whole football community," Dowden said during a parliamentary questions session for the Department of Digital, Culture, Media and Sport,

"But, of course, any such moves would have to be consistent with public health guidance."

Yet again this government making public pronouncements to curry popularity with the killer all-encompassing caveat re: public health guidance. Gives the impression that football will be back soon whereas in reality they know damn well it won't.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
given that the French league has now ended, my personal view is that it is almost immoral to restart the Premier League in any form until next season. 500+ people a day are losing their lives - I really hope that the government make the right call is telling them to end the season now

I bet the news on Ligue 1 is going down well on Merseyside.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Yet again this government making public pronouncements to curry popularity with the killer all-encompassing caveat re: public health guidance. Gives the impression that football will be back soon whereas in reality they know damn well it won't.

'As soon as possible' is a statement that I accept can be read in a positive light, but one which is actually quite neutral. It could mean sometime next week, next month, in 6 months time or in 5 years. The important thing is to read it with the qualifier:

'But, of course, any such moves would have to be consistent with public health guidance.'

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
How does that affect Lyon and PSG's participation in the Champions league? or do you think it is likely the latter stages will be played later this year?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Clubs have to man up and tell players that when their contracts run out they won't get the same lucrative terms, clearly there will be some clubs, like Manchester City, who will be able to ignore that, due to the way they are financed, but to be honest, that is no different to at present.

Let them buy the league each year if they want, but at least things could return to a more normal level for the rest.

And what then, are the clubs going to tell the TV companies that the next TV contracts will not be as expensive for them?

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
How does that affect Lyon and PSG's participation in the Champions league? or do you think it is likely the latter stages will be played later this year?

I would think that now what is termed as a major league has had the rugged pulled for finishing the season UEFA might now be looking to change the stance they currently have

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent

I like your sentiment, but please don't hold your breath, as it could be detrimental to your health.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Why should the government intervene? They've already banned games for the time being. When they lift the ban, surely it's up to the leagues to decide whether they're finishing this season or starting a new one?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
For me, one of the big questions is how it affects the R value.

Thousands of people involved in getting PL games played - R value goes up, bad.

However, could having live games on TV keep thousands staying in longer, better mental health for some so less likely to break lockdown? I really don’t know, but if it had any positive effect in that manner, that would reduce the R value, i.e. good.

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
I cannot see football re-starting until social distancing stops given it is a contact sport.

Given that some are estimating 450-500 people are needed even for a behind closed doors game i would have to agree with you.

If it does restart in the near future I’d hazard a guess at least 1 team will have a few players go down with it and everything stops again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here